Poznan Circuit by SimRacing.pl - WIP

Discussion in 'Locations' started by feels3, Oct 19, 2012.

1. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

Hi guys,

I have small but important (I had small technical issues, but it's already solved and now I can move on with track progress) update for you.

Update contains:

-3d kerbs

- noticable progress in terrain texturing

- first tests with reflective materials for several objects

- improved road textures

- new details in pitlane area

- first tests with Ambient Occlusion for several building around the track

- first performance optimisation

I want to thank for your feedback guys, thanks to you I decided to rebuild main buildings around the track to improve quality. I decided to add more small details and I have done first succesfull test with ambient occlusion. You can see on screenshots one improved building with AO map. It's small and simple building and it's placed far of the track. It's still WIP of course, so it's more a preview than final quality.

Now I have to rebuild rest of buildings, finish road textures and trees. I'm working hard to show you onboard video before Christmas.

Cheers,

Poznan Circuit - update part 5

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2012
  2. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Feels3,you are scaring me :)

3. tjc

tjc Registered

I can only keep repeating myself feels3...

Outstanding stuff. :cool:

4. jajp999

jajp999 Registered

Indeed outstanding stuff - love your work

If I were to make one recommendation I would say the bottom of the buildings where they meet the ground should be made dirty and the perfect straight line disguised within the texture - just a suggestion :)

5. Brian Clancy

Brian Clancy Registered

Just beautiful as always! You keep getting better and better (and its almost hard to believe that's possible!)

Great stuff! :D

6. feels3

Good suggestion, it will be improved :)

7. taufikp

taufikp Registered

WOW

ISI should hire you right away feels3! :)

Judging from the pictures on your website, I was thinking that rF2 graphic engine is not that bad actually. Then I realize, it's the texture. Your textures are more 'real', 'alive', has character compare to other textures I have seen so far in rF2 tracks.

Awesome!

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Some nice visuals there feels, I'm looking forward to this one

Im hoping a HDR profile will work like with lime rock

9. sg333

sg333 Registered

Please, please consider doing something like Road Atlanta, Mosport or something - I can see your talent really bringing one of those tracks alive :)

10. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

First thing, this is my first post on this thread because you feels3 have impressed me with your outstanding work. Thanks for your dedication.

Second, if you allow me a constructive criticism, i think that color saturation of grass should be more like this one in Iracing

View attachment 5092

View attachment 5093

although i'm not an Iracing fan i think that they have the most real color color textures and if you could make Rfactor 2 lookk like that with all details maxed out it would be perfect. Not at 100% but at 1000% :)

Once again, thanks for your work ;)

11. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

I too would really like to see Mosport made by feels3, but where to get good height data. The versions in rF1 based on old papy and ISI scgt tracks are pretty terrible imho.

Back on topic - these previews are looking great, wish I could make textures like this :eek:

12. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Amazing stuff. Is it possible to make a basic tutorial, with some textures etc, to help us other guys to give better detail to our tracks? I am still working on Queensland Raceway, but the way you use texturs is amazing.

13. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

The textures in the pits are unbelievable, I've checked three times, and they are unbelievable each time, so they must be real.

14. feels3

Thanks for sugestion and feedback but this time I have to disagree :)

Regardless to iR's textures quality, grass colour depends on many factor, sun angle, time of day, weather, season and even grass type. iRacing has very washed out colours, but TBH it's more about personal preferences than what is real or not :)

Here you have few photos from Poznan Circuit, as you can see, grass look different on each photo. I have washed out colours at Croft, autumn colours at Putnam, this time I decided to create a hot summer atmosphere at Poznan Circuit.

Besides, Rf 2 still has issues with colours, especially with HDR ON, colours are to warm and are dominatet by pink colour.
    My textures look different than you can see in game, we have to wait until it's fixed.

http://feels3.strefa.pl/sim/srpl/poznan/vs/1.jpg

http://feels3.strefa.pl/sim/srpl/poznan/vs/2.jpg

http://feels3.strefa.pl/sim/srpl/poznan/vs/3.jpg

http://feels3.strefa.pl/sim/srpl/poznan/vs/4.jpg

http://feels3.strefa.pl/sim/srpl/poznan/vs/5.jpg

http://feels3.strefa.pl/sim/srpl/poznan/vs/6.jpg

http://feels3.strefa.pl/sim/srpl/poznan/vs/7.jpg

http://feels3.strefa.pl/sim/srpl/poznan/vs/8.jpg

I did one, it's in track modding forum :)

15. ethone

ethone Registered

Grass color is really tough as it is soooo much more variable than what we have in our sim. feels3 mentioned nearly all of them.

The biggest example of this is Sears Point. You probably only know it as more or less of a "desert" track, right? With grass that's at best a yellow-brownish, washed out kind of grass?
    I've seen a video of some spring testing or somesuch earlier this year and I couldn't place the track for a few seconds. The turns and surroundings looked like Sears Point, but the grass was all green, vibrant and full of colour.

Here's too photos I found with a quick search. The grass is already a bit faded in them but it shows how green it can be:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So what do you do? Make the grass the brown-yellow mishmash that it is when the major events are held? Go for that colour because it's what we're used to for that track? Go for green grass because it's what we're used to with all other tracks? To replicate the grass from early in the year?
    And that's before even settling on a certain shade of green or yellow-brown.

It's good to question and check not only grass hue and saturation, but there is no absolute right way to colour it here.

16. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

I haven't tested almost anything in rF2 as a did on rF1 but i have impression that you're right.

Looking to your examples, in my personal opinion photo 1 and 3 the grass look over-saturated but is starnge because the trees are not... In photo 2 we see all color much more uniform.

But m8, as i told you before, your work are amazing so keep it up and thanks for giving us (rFactor drivers) this level of work :)

17. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

all subjects about grass colors can't be compared by images because a camera captures different than what you can see overall.
    the grass may be very green in camera but not in "real life".
    and while playing we don't want to look like a picture but to look like in real life. good luck with grass feels3 xD

18. feels3

You're right, these are only photos and each one was made with different shutter speed, ISO, and aperture.

But I saw so saturated grass in real life many times, sometimes even more saturated :)
    I have washed out colours on my previous tracks, this time I want use more intense colours.

Maybe on my next track I will use less satured grass...or maybe I will try with fully 3d grass...or maybe I will put tons of snow around the track. Who knows? ;)

Anyway, it's good to know your opinions, thanks for feedback guys :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2012
  19. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

iRacing is basically playing it safe with textures - they kept them pretty much undersaturated at beginning. Since they improved their lighting intensity, they're slowly moving towards more lively textures.
    Not there yet in my opinon, but better than before.

The problem with grass is that it's actually not a flat surface in real world. Lots of things come to play: subsurface scattering, environment reflections, self shadowing.
    Without certain technologies in the game engine, modder can only work on textures and will be forced to search for compromises. Undersaturation is the easiest way out of the situation, but personally I appreciate that feels3 doesn't follow the easy road.

Here's an interesting photo:

[​IMG]

You can see dark green, bright green, dull green, intense green, white and even a lot of blue.... It all contributes to overall "color of grass". If you would take this photo from different side you would get different overall tone of image.

So it's not like there is some ideal scheme for grass textures. All it matters is that it composes well with the rest of environment in various weather conditions and time of day.

Of course everyone has their own preferences, but I think it's not a bad idea to leave this topic to someone who is willing to spend some time researching it. Perhaps final result will change preferenses for some of us :)

20. feels3