More Sim-Like Features

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by imonarefactor, Oct 11, 2012.

1. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Why should a professional sim have things you described as fantasy ?

Make 2 versions of SIMS ....easy solved

Version #1: PRO : This would be forced cockpit, no aids, 100% damage, drive to pits , no music in car gessus. I could add another 20 things off the top of my head would make ALL sims more realistic.

Version #2: AMA : This would be normal rFactor2

2. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Isn't that just what the setting pages are for? configure the game how you want to play it. To ridicule peoples list if what they want because is isn't real is...well it bemuses me. (comment not aimed at anyone in particular) None of it is real, from whatever angle you view it, it is all fantasy. I'm damn sure when a hard core sim nut crashes he doesn't turn off the computer, donate a few grand to charity and wait a week to play again. Oh? is that ridiculous?...Well of course it is, as daft as denying someone a feature they want just because you think that sullies the purity of your fantasy race game. ISI will need to sell shed loads of this game to recover the cost of development and that means selling to the casual players as well as the hard core.

I started as a casual, all assists on, arcade racer. Now I have a full race rig, triple screen and wheel/pedals with all the assists off. Not overnight, but slowly over many months. This is a route trod by many and having stuff there to help train, and guide for as long as you need it is a must, take that away and many would fall by the wayside.

3. imonarefactor

imonarefactor Registered

ISI just added the ghost car. Will you hardcore reality buffs be boycotting rF2?

Personally glad to see it. I have already shaved some time off my laps.

4. osella

osella Registered

I doubt anybody has anything against ghosts.

Of course sims always have tons of unrealistic features, don't make us sound ridiculous for wanting to quit the sim forever once you crash into a tree at 300kph or something, we never said that. Certain unrealistic features just are accepted, and some sound too much. Rewinding time after a crash would take away any adrenaline pumping because you could always get to the same point of race where you were doing well, a complete restart of race (which is also unrealistic of course) is not as arcadey because you won't get to the exact same place of race...

5. Grubby

Grubby Registered

Ghosts scare me. lol

6. Knight of Redemption

But the point is you don't have to use it...To want to deny others that do is ridiculous, just see it as a training tool a way to practice a particular section of track over and over again without having to go around the entire track. Restart is just as "arcadey" and you use that...See I don't want to see these things included because I want to use them, I want them there because once upon a time I did, and they helped to make me a better driver. Every time I turned an assist off it was one more step to becoming a sim racer, all part of the process. Something like rewind could only be used offline anyway so it has no effect at all on anyone but the player.

7. Kibbs

Kibbs Registered

Yes, let's get all those ideas next build. Can't wait for ForzaFactor.

8. Knight of Redemption

Sorry your point is?

9. Kibbs

Kibbs Registered

You're asking for silly things under the guise of having more options. There's already games with what you're looking for. I started racing on consoles with arcade-sims, and later came to PC for more true sims. I don't want to see more hybrids.

10. Knight of Redemption

Read what I wrote and you will see I am not asking for them, I am saying those that do, have the right to ask without ridicule, just because you think they are silly does not make them silly. You will on one hand restart a race without a blink of an eye when practising and consider that fair play and true simming and on the other say someone wanting a rewind function to practice section by section is being silly...Its a double standard, and one I do not hold despite the fact I do not use assists, or wish to enter races that do.

11. osella

osella Registered

Whatever. Anyway the first one to reply was Tim and he sad that first 2 options are unlikely ( which means there is about 0.01% they will happen) and the other two "we will see", which means there is about 1-10% chance they will happen.

Some things just dont fit in most simmers idea on what the sim should allow, then too bad for those who want them, they probably wont get them.

I dont see how anyone is ridiculing OP or making fun of him, I just keep saying I dont like these features and explaining why...

12. Knight of Redemption

No better way of being dismissive than beginning with the word whatever, there are two points of view, I hold one you hold the other, anyway nothing more to say so I suppose that's the end of it.

13. imonarefactor

imonarefactor Registered

I don't feel that this is a fair comment. I want to drive the most realistic simulator in regard to physics, I don't use any of the driving aids, however I am looking to increase the benefit I get from the sim in practice to get the most out of my time.

I also race online where none of the restart, rewind, aids are allowed, so it is possible to have both working.

I wish people weren't so close minded to how other use the software.

14. 3lfk1ng

3lfk1ng Registered

I don't really think the issue is with other users being close minded. I personally think that you have been spoiled by playing too many Codemaster and Turn10 games.

You have to bear in mind that this is rFactor we are talking about. You're asking for features that don't exist in real life from a game that is trying hard as ever to emulate real life driving conditions. Regardless of whether you're playing alone or online, this is a simulator.

15. Knight of Redemption

Oh, like AI, ghosts, restarts, pause, assists, auto clutch, blip, HUD, virtual mirrors, names floating above cars, accelerated tire and fuel, visual damage only settings. Yup just like real life. This is a game that is as much like real life as COD is like being in a real war. But hey, when all is said and done here, it's ISI that will make the decision on how many of these things will make it into Gold, and we are just shooting the breeze.

16. imonarefactor

imonarefactor Registered

Exactly.

This thread has become a discussion well outside a request to ISI, however it is interesting how people choose to mentally divide what is 'allowed' and what is not in this game.

I was deep into a race yesterday and an AI F3.5 bumped a curb, roll over without any other contact and destroyed my race. Just another reason why a rewind function would be helpful, to negate the craziness of the AI.

17. osella

osella Registered

With the exception of ghosts I'd bet all these features are even in professional F1 own simulators.

Now THIS sentence is downright ridiculous. If you think this game is as real life as COD is like being in a real war, then why dont you play mario kart. The car physics means nothing or what....? Uh I admit its impossible to draw a line where what features are sim-like and what arcade-like, so again I'm saying its about what sim community tends to accept, rewinding in time just isnt one of those.

Thats what I said too, and there is very little chance ISI will agree with features OP asked for :) .

By the way, when we are discussing things like that, its funny when we realize that in some aspects our sims are harder than real life because of lack of some features, like the lack of save session button...

18. Knight of Redemption

Of course its not ridiculous, Cars fix themselves, there are no physical consequence to crashing, no matter how fat, old, unfit you are you can compete on the same playing field as the young and super fit because there are no G forces...it is not real in any way. It is a game in which we can pretend to be driving a race car, and please comments like "why don't you play Mario Cart" just because we don't happen to agree on a meaningless and unimportant thing are not necessary.

What you seem to also say by default I am not a member of the Sim community nor are the others on this thread arguing the same point as I because we don't give a flying fig if rewind made it's way into the game...Well we are, and that is what we think. As to ISI if they are even bothering to read any of this I am sure it is with amusement. Who knows what features they will add, I suspect even they do not know what will finally make it into the game, WIP that it is.

1 person likes this.
  19. MJP

MJP Registered

That's the trouble with these 'realism' bods, it's always realism as they see it or realism up to a point, 'I don't have (see) a problem, ergo there is no problem'. They always think that what's good for them is good for everyone else, 'my way or the highway'.

Not really sure why I bothered buying rF2, I saw how rF1 panned out, quite why I thought rF2 might be different I really don't know.

20. osella

osella Registered

For the third time I'm repeating what Tim said at the beginning of this thread: features mentioned by OP are unlikely to happen, which in real terms means basically 0% chance of happening, yet you continue to say "who knows what features they will add". They wont add these.

MJP: if you dont know why you bought rf2, we certainly dont know it either.

It seems to me, OP and Knight of Redemption, yours logic is as follows: there are already a thousand aspects that make the sim unrealistic, so why not add a few other totally unrealistic as well just for the sake of it.

I can agree that the main reason 90% of us like to play software like rFactor it to pretend that we are top class racing drivers, when none of us really are (most of us are not even pure amateurs). That doesn't mean its the same thing as all the racing games out there.