Too much rubber on track?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fobban, Oct 8, 2012.

1. fobban

fobban Registered

I've seen both in-game, when playing, and some youtube videos (here for example) about how rubber is added onto the track in rF2. More laps, more rubber. After a couple of laps you don't only have the black lines in curves, but also on the straights (although not as much).

One thing that I noticed though from yesterdays Formula 1 in Japan was that although you could see rubber added in the curves, you couldn't really see that on the straight lines even though there were about 20 cars running around 50 laps. On the straights the line was actually lighter than the rest of the track due to lack of particles and other dirt.

Is there too much rubber added in rF2?

PS. I consider myself a rookie when it comes to car sports and sim games, so I may be way off :). DS.

2. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I think the rubber is exaggerated like the drying line is, just to have quick results during the beta. Pretty sure it will be tuned down for gold release.

3. smithaz

smithaz Registered

Theres a thread on here somewhere talking about this. Different tyres lay different amounts of rubber, like todays f1 tyres tend to create marbles rather than lay rubber on the track apparently.

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

At the moment I don't think we differentiate one type of tire or rubber from another, the build up is the same for all.

5. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Maybe the "rubber in effect" characteristics could be controlled via parameters in the tyre model?

6. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

Also current F1 tyres are hideously over-engineered to achieve the required viewing spectacle, therefore they behave completely differently to other racing slicks. Since Pirelli came back to F1 uninformed people believe 'marbles' are common place at all motor races, which really, really bugs me, lol.

7. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Yes, there is:

8. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

9. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Bathurst marbled up real bad at the top of the mountain very early on but here is a video of the last lap which is after 1000km, see all the debris off line.

Still I think its a little excellerated in game atm but as Tim says all tyres are having the same effect atm so generally the softer the slick the more marbles and rubber it will lay down. But there are so many different tyres around and all will behave in different ways regarding grip life and track rubbering or marbelling.

Graphically it would be nice to have more a track cleaning effect in the straights and rubbering effect in the corners down the track and also both effects to be made a little more subtle graphically.

10. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

You can definitely see the marbles in that one shot down the straight. NASCAR used to have huge issues with marbles, not sure if that is still the case now or not. I also remember seeing a Le Mans race where they were literally pulling handfuls of rubber out from the radiators of the cars due to all the rubber left on the track.

11. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

If you are seeing too much rubber being laid down after two laps you might want to check whether or not the default time scale is still activated.

The default time scale is 5X in both rF1 and rF2. I made sure my time scale was set to normal and the rubber took much more time to be laid down on the track.

I do think that the rubber line is a bit exaggerated, though. The rubber on real tracks looks a bit more smooth than it does in the game I think.

Just a thought.

12. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

The race line looks is all texture controlled (the RealRoad material has plenty of textures in its definition), so I'm sure that once the creative artists out there get the hang of it, we will see better and better looking race lines. It would however be very cool if a mod could override the track default textures, in case its tyres behave in a special way in regards to laying down rubber, creating marbles etc.

13. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

It has been stated that in the final product the rubbering in of the track will be solely based on what the tyre model is doing, nothing extra added to that. At least that's the aim.