Multiplayer Lobby Broken?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DemonDriverDan, Oct 8, 2012.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

There is a reason why there is no league forum in this forum, while there is one in the rFactor1 forum. You run rF2 in a scheduled event at your own risk. As the sticky threads say, there is no guarantee of rF2 working at all.

Today, they needed to work on it again. I agree some notice for you guys needs to happen, but the development takes priority over everything else right now. :)

2. 88mphTim

AFAIK it hasn't failed at all. They were working on it yesterday, it just took longer than expected, and they were working on it today. Your lifetime account isn't valid yet, it begins when the testing ends.

3. Linkku

Linkku Registered

The conversation has gone off track now. What I and couple of other guys requested earlier, was simply a chance to join to a server with a direct IP. Beta product or not, whateverismyaccountstatus or is it not, there should be no valid reason to not have that feature.

4. fobban

fobban Registered

Enabling direct IP access in cases like this would render their whole DRM activation mechanism useless, so it will most likely never happen. Unfortunately.

5. 88mphTim

Except those already stated. By the time development in the testing phase starts to wind down, there should be minimal downtime, to where you're more likely to have a issue with your own server, than downtime with ours. This software has, and always will have, a multiplayer which works like it does through the matchmaker. It went down yesterday, and today, to improve it. These are things that need to happen, and will give you a reliable service after testing.

6. DrMabuse1963

DrMabuse1963 Registered

it works now.

7. brr

brr Registered

It sounds like the downtime was planned. If so, where was it announced in advance so users could prepare for it instead of, say, scheduling a league race during it?

8. DrMabuse1963

DrMabuse1963 Registered

since yesterday i got in game a stutter , one in ca. 10-15min. for 0,5-1 sec.

9. 88mphTim

No, it wasn't announced.

10. KaIIe

KaIIe Registered

Maybe in the future these things could be announced? :)

11. 88mphTim

I would hope so, but if they don't (during testing), they don't. It's difficult to predict when actively working in the code. All I know really is that they try to do it outside of peak hours, and not near the end of their working day. Yesterday was obviously in peak, and near the end of their working day, so when it took longer than expected, they weren't happy.

Development in this area isn't finished, the plan is to have two servers I think, so that your client can connect through either, if response is delayed to the first, it checks the second. So whether expected or unexpected downtime on the main server, the client (host and client racers) should never know it.

12. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

Uhm guys, maybe you should read the first post of this page???

EDIT :: ah, Tim beat me to it :p

13. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

Man... I spent hours yesterday, uninstalled... re-installed... again... do it again using different directories... Checked forums... Re-installed video drivers... Installed rF2 again in the default directories, and it worked! 4 servers up... thought to myself... hmmmmm.... could it be on their end???

Just a suggestion, but would it be possible to have this type of information posted on the home page of these forums... I could have been cruising instead :)

Laughing at myself still...

Bryan

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2012
  14. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Really? I can understand it's difficult for us, but for developers? c'mon, who do you think will believe in this?
    To me, "ISI has no time to inform us" would be more believable/acceptable explanation.

I hope ISI doesn't develop directly on production servers. Using development and testing environment is good practice. Then deploying is short-time process.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2012
  15. 88mphTim

You can choose to feel how you want to feel, assume all you want to assume (based on such a small amount of info, I'm amazed you can), MaXyM. Whatever makes you happy.

16. coops

coops Banned

hi Tim can you pop back in and leave a post when it has been fixed ?

17. Anakin

Anakin Registered

Tim, has there been a lot of work relating to matchmaker for the last few weeks? As we have been running our server without major problems since the start of rFactor2 beta. But in the last weeks we have seen a lot of issues where our server has lost it's connection to matchmaker and we have to load the track again to make it connected again. I assume that these drop outs from matchmaker have been related to matchmaker developing? Or is this issue something that came with the 107 build? I can't remember seeing such a frequent problems with matchmaker connection with previous builds.

This is slightly frustrating as we have to restart our server now few times a day or in the worst cases few times a hour (like two days ago, but that's was a special case as you were working on the server at the sime time).

Is there anything we can do to automate that process? So that server could automatically reconnect to matchmaker when it has lost the connection for some reason? Now our drivers are from time to time complaining that the "server is not up" and we have to manually every time connect to our server and reload the track (this process also resets the realroad).

18. 88mphTim

Yes. It will tend to get 'worse' for you when they are migrating some of the code from updates to the live server (to keep compatibility with past updates, and future changes. And this has been happening for a couple of weeks, mostly this week.

19. coops

coops Banned

^ is this a clue an update is coming soon ????

20. 88mphTim

It's a sign that they are migrating code, and I guess a sign of progress... Although most of the back end stuff like that, you might not even notice.