Racing on my TV?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by oneill875, Sep 29, 2012.

1. oneill875

oneill875 Registered

Hi guys,

A quick question for you....

I currently use a 22 inch monitor with 1680 x 1050 resolution and sit about 28 inches from it.

I want to use my 40 inch Samsung LED TV (UE40D5520) to race with at about the same distance (give or take a few).

My graphics card is a GTX 460 1GB.

Will the resolution be comparable? The TV has a 1920x1080 Native Resolution but that may stress my card out?

If i lower the resolution a bit to save the card will it still look OK?

I havent bought the lead that I need yet so thats why I havent tested yet.

I was thinking about using my X Box HDMI lead to a HDMI/DVI adapter fot the card. Is this acceptable or should I buy a HDMI to DVI lead? (Expensive).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Dan.

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Resolution will not stress a card like the GTX460.
    Having said that it depends on the brand/model of the card, cooling and condition how well it copes.

Depends on your specs, I ran a GTX460 @1920 in rFactor2 fine with Intel 2500K@4.5GHz

I think you will be right with 1920 if your 1680 is okay framerate presently.

You can turn a few things down shadows less cars to compensate.

DVi to HDMi should be fine.

If you can run a short lead ( 2 metres ) virtually any quality HDMi-HDMi lead will be fine you do not need to buy a expensive one.

3. oneill875

oneill875 Registered

OK thanks for the advice, my CPU is a core2duo E8600 OC to 3.9Ghz, 4GB of crap RAM and a 30 quid MB, W7 ultimate 64bit OS.

Currently it runs great at 1680 x 1050, I have a couple of extras turned down and run about 45-50 FOV.

I'll get the adapter then as its less than a ten quid.

Cheers,

Dan.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

4 Quid
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-053-OK

6 Quid
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-037-AK&groupid=1929&catid=1753&subcat=

*Edit

Make sure to do proper measure for length and allow for some slack.

edit: Check your GTX460 HDMi is not Mini HDMI connector.
    Depends on the make/model.
    If it is MiniHDMi you need different lead. ( could not see one at OCUK )
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=16420

My last 3 Gigabyte nvidia cards ( 2xGTX460 SOC and GTX570 SOC ) have come with MiniHDMi-HDMi leads in the box.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2012
  5. oneill875

oneill875 Registered

Unfortunately my card only has two DVI outputs so I will either need a DVI to HDMI cable or an adapter to use my x box HDMI cable.

I will go out today and get something as I have my brother round tonight to do some racing.

Cheers,

Dan.

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

7. oneill875

oneill875 Registered

Ok I've got an HDMi to DVI cable now, 15 quid from PC ripoff. I've tried the game on my old resolution of 1680 x 1050 and it seems really jittery and laggy. I've uped the resolution now to the TV's native of 1920 x 1080 and it seems much better, still a touch more lag than I'm used to but perfectly playable.
    I have reduced the FOV down to 42 degrees and sat a little further back in the cockpit so I can see most of my mirrors and it is much more immersive compared to what I had before.
    My card is working harder now and at Monaco when going down the pit straight it hits 99% in Inspector with temps of 55-60C.
    Does anybody have any recommended Inspector settings or profiles to try?
    I have turned down shadows but still have full circuit detail and particle detail.
    Thanks in advance,

Dan.

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

GPU usage and Heat is fine.

I can't think of anything in rF2 NVInspector profile would help frame-rate, atm I run it default.
    rF2 runs and looks lovely, not a stutter.

To me sounds about right where you are at for the hardware you have.

9. oneill875

oneill875 Registered

Yeah you are right I won't start chasing rainbows, I had a good long racing session last night and it was great.
    It was all about weaning my bro off the recently released F1 title and showing him some car control!
    Cheers,

Dan.