Noob Q: Is rFactor2 possible alternative to F12012?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pjsaunders75, Sep 27, 2012.

1. pjsaunders75

pjsaunders75 Registered

I was considering getting F12012, though it appears to be a bugfest and I'd rather give my money to decent developers.
    I'm a casual gamer though enjoy a challenge. Am using xbox pad controller for time being.
    Would rfactor2 beta cater for this? Does it have an 'OK' single player mode? I really want to play the Formula 1, 2 or 3 stuff (without Codemasters bugs).

Many thanks,

Pat.

ps.
    My system is AMD 4170, GTX 560ti, 8gb ram.

2. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

Stick with RF2 F1 2012 I a console game even though it has a PC Platform IMO

3. pjsaunders75

pjsaunders75 Registered

SP fun?

Thanks Mitt,
    Can you provide any more details about the curent single player in the beta? Is it something you can play and enjoy?
    I am signed up and get pCars Alpha but its not very fun IMO, no career or anything yet, (of course to be expected).

Pat.

4. blakboks

blakboks Registered

At the risk of getting flamed by some of the other members around here :), honestly, if you're playing with a controller, and you're looking for single-player fun, stick to the Codies games for the time being.

I like to think of the Codies F1 games like the EA FIFA or Madden games--they're not going to try to recreate the actual act of playing that particular sport, but they appeal to the fantasy aspects of "being a part of" that team.

That doesn't mean that rF2 isn't worth getting, it's just that the 'fun' of the game comes from the challenge of it, and aims to be a truer representation of doing the actual thing. rF2 has no career mode whatsoever (at the moment). You can only do practice sessions, race weekends, or online play. Of course, with it being a work-in-progress, (pre-alpha, alpha, beta, whatever you want to call it) there's plenty of bugs in this software as well. Not to mention, the content, especially F1-specific content, is extremely limited currently.

If you're absolutely looking for a game now, check out F1-2012 (I guess...haven't played it, myself). Or just get both! At the very least, get yourself a wheel and pedals set (won't ever want to go back to controller) check back with the progress of rF2 after some time (couple-few months ?); I think you'll find things will be more to your liking then.

1 person likes this.
  5. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

F1*.* by Codemasters are a bad joke. There're so many stupid bugs and "features" that is useless to adress some. RFT F1 Mod for Rfactor 1 (btw, the best racing game ever) destroys any CM crap and it has realistic KERS + DRS in contrast to the stupid CM F1-2012 KERS which delivers 1000 hp to the car. You don't need to wait for rF2, thus. Actually, nobody should ever do that.

6. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I agree.

7. pjsaunders75

pjsaunders75 Registered

blakboks, satangoss, thanks very much for your replies. As pretty as rFactor2 is, I think the answer is to purchase rFactor 1 and get the mods for now. Yes I agree with the CM sentiments, though if CM magically fix all issues in F12012, I'll certainly grab it also (though probably more chance of hell freezing over, given their prior record)

Regards,

Pat.

8. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

Honestly saunders, get yourself a wheel! try the logitech Driving Force GT. I have that wheel for about two years now, and it delivers very good for the low price! once you have played RF2 with a decent Force Feedback Wheel, you will now what fun is. playing a RACING sim with a controller really cant compare to this.
    the DFGT costs about 120 € good used ones around 70 €.
    This really would be the first step for me in your position. there is no point in buying those games if you don't have a FFB wheel!

9. pjsaunders75

pjsaunders75 Registered

The issue is limited desk space plus I'm only a casual player. Was considering the SRW-SR1 though they are pricy to get into australia.
    thanks for the tips though, its' making me think the whole thing through.
    My desk:

View attachment 4070

Pat.

10. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Actually you have more than enough space for a clamp mounted wheel. Don't know what the floor area looks life for pedals but for a wheel that's plenty of space and looks rather sturdy at that. Believe me I've put a wheel on less.

11. pjsaunders75

pjsaunders75 Registered

OK, I'll just shove everything forward against my screen! :D
    I forgot to add its a standup desk, that makes it harder to use pedals. :-^
    Hence thoughts of SRW-SR1 ...

Pat.

12. Gartzen

Gartzen Registered

13. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I've heard on our forum, that F1 2012 is ineed a lot better (in matter of car handling). It needs some specific FF settings but driving is no more pathetic as in previous releases.

14. Come on man! Buy a wheel (even the cheapest) and give a try to rF2 with its fabulous F2! You won't regret! I promise! ;)

15. pjsaunders75

pjsaunders75 Registered

geez you're selling it to me! :) Its more to do with space etc. My desk and office has very little storage space, plus my desk is standup so making it hard(er) to throttle/brake. I did use to have a wheel many years ago, some logitech thing, no FF for TOCA2 and certainly enjoyed it.
    I've got a FFB joystick (saitek Evo force) and it is excellent.
    Thanks for writing. :)

Pat.

16. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Hi Pat!

If you want actual F1 content, get you rF1 and the relevant mods.
    For rF2 is worth every Euro (or dollar) you can give it a try if you can
    spend the money. But on the other hand I dont think that a beta is the best
    choice for you. Maybe you wait until official release and an actual F1-mod.

Saitek Joysticks work fine with rFactor,- indeed!

Greets
    Pete

17. pjsaunders75

pjsaunders75 Registered

Hi Pete, thanks for that. I'll have a think about it. Would almost go straight for rF1 except it looks a little dated in comparison to rf2 which looks GORGEOUS..
    Oh I have tried racing with joystick long time ago.. but not recently.. its not very natural IMO, though perhaps I should try just for fun?

Regards,

Pat.

18. Whykonen

Whykonen Registered

I would just wait for rF2 in your case to be released. In no time there will be a proper f1 mod. F1 2012 seems about right in your case. You want a game, not a astonishingly real simulation.
    The immersion of a simulation only shows when it gives you feedback through screen, audio AND very important, the wheel! Also your inputs will be much more accurate on pedals and turning.

Consider expanding f1 2012 with a basic wheel, and then when rf2 is released give it a shot if you want make use of all of the wheel possibilities.

19. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

To stick in my 2 cents...If you are looking for a single player mode that has all the bells and whistles, like F1 2012, well Rf2 is not that beast. It does not simulate the process of being in a team. That side of things is more a function of joining a Club and racing in an online series. rF2 is also unfinished and not exactly bug free itself. It does not lend itself to pick up and play casual play, and like it's predecessor rewards practice. Yes you can turn on the aids, reduce the AI skill and run a few laps but that kinda misses the point of it. If you are looking for an arcade like experience...no rF2 is not for you, if you are looking for a challenge and a racing sim the yes, give it a go...and get a wheel LOL

20. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

To be honest I wouldn't recommend rFactor 2 so fast like some do right now.

When comparing rF2 to F1 2012, it's like comparing apples to oranges...

In my opinion Pat you can't get a decent answer to a question like "should I get title A or title B", especially when you're asking that question in the official forums of one of those titles. ;)

I love rF2 for example. I really do. Best physics on the market even in beta stage, in my opinion. And it was a no-brainer for me to get the lifetime membership licence on day 1, and I didn't regret it and probably never will. But will I recommend it over F1 2012? Depends who's asking...

When talking to die-hard sim fans, of course. rFactor 2 will waste F1 2012 anytime when it comes to properly simulating a real race. But recommending it to those who just want to have a great racing experience and a nice challenge? Probably not so much...

The thing is, I am a die-hard sim fan but can still enjoy a well made racing >game<. F1 2012's physics deny it to be called a simulation, but after playing the demo I was very positively surprised. It is fun, most definitely. I was even considering buying it with a friend to play a season in coop, but he opted for the new NHL instead so we both didn't pick it up.
    Nevertheless it's much better than I expected it would be after trying the first F1 2010.

So the question would be more like: What is your preference Pat? Would you really like to buy an at least mid-range wheel for the best experience, doing hundreds of laps to optimize your car's setup and find the last tenth of a second? Screaming of joy because you managed to overtake a single opponent after dozens of exhausting laps in a multiplayer race? Loving fully dynamic track conditions, including very slippery first laps because the track isn't (dynamically) rubbered in yet?

Well, get rFactor 2.

Or do you like a really well made presentation, visually and acoustically? A fun to drive, easy to get into, but hard to master driving experience (while it doesn't need to be realitic though), even with a gamepad? A game which puts the focus more on the actual racing in a full pack than on the driver and the fight with his car? A game where you can invite friends and have fun with them, passing around the controller and having a good laugh together when someone smashes the car?

Get F1 2012.

Both of them are great in what they do in my opinion, so after all, it's a PERSONAL decision which one to get. But considering F1 2012 is a finished game and rFactor 2 is still a work in progress in beta stage, the latter has more bugs for now, trust me. And it doesn't scale too well for older machines at the moment. With my system (click the Windows icon under my avatar) I can still max out most games on my system, including the F1 2012 demo, but rF2 WILL break its neck in some conditions.

But still, for me, personally, it's rFactor 2. Because it features the stuff I want. ;)