Grandma's explanation: Steering wheel range, steering lock and steering ratio

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KeiKei, Sep 25, 2012.

1. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

5 people like this.
  2. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Nice one. Should make it easy to understand for newcomers.

Now if only ISI would get rid of steering locks and just let us choose the steering ratio we want in the garage :p

Then it wouldn't matter what steering rotation you prefer, you could always have a realistic steering ratio.

1 person likes this.
  3. Paul Swire

Paul Swire Registered

Great post :D

4. jrcn50

jrcn50 Registered

Thank you : very useful!

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Agreed!

6. Niels_at_home

Niels_at_home Registered

Only if the game knows the rotation your wheel has, which it can't always know. There is not a standardized steering wheel rotation setting for game controllers. So in the end there is no fool proof way to do it right.

7. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Only if user has vehicle set checked and uses wheel with software version that supports that, it could be possible for rF2 to know wheel range for certain, so it works but only in limited cases and thus indeed no fool proof, but then again, is there anything that is really fool proof? If there is someone will just make better fool.

8. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Thank you very much!
    (first time I get this so clear!)

9. tjc

tjc Registered

+1. :)

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Am I the only one that likes having a steering lock instead of ratio??

I mean you know the degree of the wheel you have (wether its 900, 540, 240, whatever), and you know the total amount of lock on the in game car from the garage.

You are setting what you want the max lock of the car to actually physically be in the garage, and then you spread that evenly across how ever much lock your wheel (hardware) is using, that too me gives a much clearer indication than just some ratio.

I mean 8:1, 13:2, etc those are just numbers to me and tell me nothing. I mean ok I understand that 8:1 means 8 degrees of your steering wheel equals 1 degree of the real tyres, but what does that actually mean when it comes to steering speed/sensetivity? Would 8 degrees for every 1 degree feel real sensitive? Feel slow? Feel normal?

Where as a car lock in the garage for the physical in-game car lock, tells me that xx amount od degrees is the total amount the car will turn at its max, which will then be spread evenly (assuming your controller sensetivity is fully linear) across whatever amount of lock I am using for my actual real life wheel.

That enables me to visualise and "see" in my mind, much more than just some random ratio numbers.

Maybe im not getting something, because everyone seems to have the opposite opinion of me, I dunno.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2012
  11. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

@Spinelli

The reason so many people want steering ratios is because they are easier to find online. Many pilots want to copy reality and they want their steering ratio to be exactly like it is in real life.

Not very often do you find steering locks online, but steering ratios are fairly easy to find for most cars.

This gives the user more options: He can either use the ISI recommended steering rotation (vehicle set) or he can use the rotation he likes (900?) and it won't matter because the steering ratio is the steering ratio.

The user also doesn't have to do any math! :D

12. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

But Mr. at_home, the game does know your steering rotation.

You either use "vehicle set" which sets the rotation for each car automatically, or you just set it to the rotation you like the best.

Either way, the game knows your rotation because it's set in options before you load the track :)

13. jtbo

jtbo Registered

But you can still fake that steering to be whatever you want at wheel settings and not allow game to control it, for example Formula to then can read 540 in game, vehicle set off and you have your wheel at 270 degrees, game will not know that.

14. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

If vehicle set is OFF, then the game assumes your rotation is whatever it's set to in options. I don't know why anyone would set their wheel at 270 and then let the game think it's 540?

I hate to suggest anything from pCARS, but they have it right in this respect. You calibrate your wheel (set the rotation) and then in the garage settings, it's only steering ratios.

15. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Well, fool proof means, not even fool can fool it and certainly there must be those enough fool to do that and even much crazier things :p

16. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Steering ratio's and wheel lock should be separate in my opinion. In my way of thinking, you ratio will determine the amount the wheel will turn per degree of rotation, but the lock value will only let the wheels turn so many degrees and that is it.

To be honest, the ratio should be hard coded into the sim for each car and not be changeable by anyone. The only thing that different rotations should do is change the hardware hard lock for the wheel which would normally be greater than the software wheel lock anyways. This is all just my opinion and your mileage may vary.

17. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

lol we need to keep terms we use the same GJ or people will get confused :D

When you say "wheel lock" above ^^ you actually mean steering rotation.

Currently we set the "steering lock" in the garage which is different from "wheel lock"..... lol

See the confusion some people might have?

Steering Rotation (game/wheel settings)
    Steering Lock (garage settings)
    Steering Ratio (the result of the above ^^)

I don't think the ratios should be hard locked any more than the steering rotation should be. That's a bit too hardcore. As an option, sure, but not mandatory.

18. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Reading your reply and reading my post several times I am getting confused, lol. I guess I should proof my posts a bit better to keep things clear. I knew what I wanted to say, but apparently I missed the mark due to the way I said it, hehe.

Thanks for the correction buddhatree. :)

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

According to your terms i think he may have meant steering lock (physical amount the cars' wheels/suspension turns), not steering rotation

20. jtbo

jtbo Registered

How about compromise, showing resulting steering ratio?