Launcher options greyed out a.k.a. you should get rid of the hardware scan...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by leafspring, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leafspring

leafspring Registered

Hi,

I purchased rFactor 2 today at work. Now that I am home, I'd really like to give it a spin but the launcher wouldn't let me. The main problem is that the three launcher options are greyed out when I start it. I am logged in and I installed some packages.
    Now one solution seems to be to 'reactivate' the game. Which brings me to problem no. 2.
    The purchase tab looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/SEp8C.png

Question is: Is there another way to get around this and play the game (have searched the board, didn't find anything)?

And regardless of a possible solution, you really should get rid of this hardware scan. I know it's probably to create a fingerprint of the system for licencing purposes but unless you can ensure it's working properly for those who buy the game (even if it's still a beta), you should disable it.

Btw.: I'm running Windows 8(as you can probably tell from the screen cap), which might the cause of the problem.

Thanks in advance and best regards.

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

In order to ensure it works properly, we can't disable it, that's why it's here in beta.

Please contact support and we can work through issues like this together, that's why we are doing all of this, after all. :)

3. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

You can rule out Windows 8 as I've seen this reported on Win 7 as well.

4. leafspring

leafspring Registered

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll contact the support then. :)

And of course you're right to have it in the beta. Guess I didn't think that through all that well. Having a scan like this just running in the background and reporting errors doesn't really help fixing problems...

1 person likes this.
  5. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Hi

I can reproduce this problem by disabling my Local Area Connection (LAN) in Windows (7),or by turning it
    off in the Bios, if you use a wireless device , for example mobile broadband dongle, you still need to have
    your LAN enabled, hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  6. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Good info!

7. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

It doesn't have to run in the background. There's a box you can check under the "Advanced" tab to close the launcher as soon rF2 starts:

[​IMG]

(Right click and open image in a new tab to see more clearly)

8. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Thankyou buddhatree :)

I had the very same problem when i purchased rf2 back in january, i hope the info helps somebody out.

9. leafspring

leafspring Registered

Thanks for the info. I am indeed on a wi-fi stick, my LAN connection is disconnected but enabled, though. Since activation is only required once, I probably could carry my machine over to the router to check if connecting via ethernet does fix the problem.

Thanks for the hint, but I think you misinterpreted my comment. I thought about having the hardware scan running in the background instead of blocking the entire game upon error until it works properly. I realized, however, that this wouldn't be of a lot of help as ISI would get the errors but no information about what caused them due to a lack of communication from the user experiencing the error.
    I probably worded that a little poorly to be understood correctly, though. :)

10. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Hmm...strange one...sorry i was unable to help you out, but hope you get it sorted.

ps. Just to mention my LAN is disconnected but enabled, and if i disable it i get the
    same problem your having, would be interesting to find out what is causing the problem
    for you.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2012
  11. dandar

dandar Registered

Workaround available

This workaround should work fine for those of you that do not have an enabled and/or installed network card.
    Please take into consideration that i'm not currently using an English OS, so there is a posibility to have some small diferences in Windows options and titles.

CLOSE RF2 AND LAUCHER BEFORE BEGIN !

Since Windows 2000 you can add a virtual network adapter that is always connected (because it's virtual).
    In order to install this virtual adapter you must do the following steps:

Windows Vista or newer only
    1) Browse to C:\Windows\inf and look for a file called "netloop.inf", right click on it then select "Install"
    2) If the Add New Hardware wizard shows up, follow the instructions on screen then "Finish".

Windows 2000 and XP only
    1) Go to the Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Add a device > A wizard window must show up
    2) Wait until the wizard end looking for new hardware then select the option "Yes, i've already connected the new hardware" and clic "Next"
    3) A list-view must show up, scroll to the very bottom and select "Add a new hardware device" and clic "Next"
    4) Select the checkbox "Manually install a new device" and clic "Next"
    5) Select "Network Adapters" then "Next"
    6) On the manufacturer (left listview) select "Microsoft" on the network adapter (right listview) select "Microsoft Loopback Adapter" then clic next
    7) Confirm the wizard instructions then clic "Finish"

If you have successfully added the virtual adapter, launch the rFactor 2 and the error must have gone.

For thouse who want to check if the new virtual adapter is installed, go to Control Panel > Network, then list your network cards and there must be one called "Microsoft Loopback Adapter" with the "Cable is connected" status.

My two cents :D

12. Jeremy Miller

Jeremy Miller Former ISI Senior Programmer

"I purchased rFactor 2 today at work. Now that I am home,..." That is correct. If you purchased at work the initial license is tied to that machine (assuming two machines). If you are now home you need to activate that machine.

Click the purchase Tab on the launcher then chose Reactivate. Like the minimum specs for rF2 indicate you will need a working internet connection.

13. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Hi Jeremy

Thats his second problem, he can't Reactivate...see his first post and his second point.

14. Jeremy Miller

Jeremy Miller Former ISI Senior Programmer

dang it that's what I get for trying to read one more post before lunch ;)...

leafspring can you please describe the machine you are using. If you do not have NIC device that is reported by windows as either a wireless (802.11) or ehternet device that is one thing. Is your hard drive something special like a hybrid SSD cached drive? mSata?

15. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

lol...sorry ;)

16. leafspring

leafspring Registered

The disk itself is a regular SSD - where I can see a problem, however, is that I'm using EFI instead of a regular MBR setup. Also, as I mentioned already, I'm running Windows 8. The driver model and some interfaces probably have changed but the compatibility modes should fix that, which they don't.
    Rest of the system is pretty standard: Core i7 3770k, GTX 660 Ti and an Asus P8Z77-V.

Oh, and I got a reply from rFactor Support. Basically comes down to 'we don't have a clue and we can't help you'. Well, forums are a better way of dealing with this anyway due to the need of communication I guess...

edit: Carried my system over to the router to hook it up to the ethernet - didn't help. Even the network error was still there.

edit2: Had some fun with WMI and NetworkInformation. Everything working as expected, querying network adapters returned the required wireless one as well as two ethernet types (however, the WMI interface to do this is deprecated with Win8). The primary hard disk is recognized and properly returned as well.
    (Also, using the primary HDD and a network adapter for fingerprinting is a bad idea, but that's another story.)

I also did some comparisons of Win7 and Win8 and couldn't find anything that's been reported differently by the system.
    So unless you're using some weird low-level API stuff or something instead of the WMI, there shouldn't be a problem recognizing the components itself.

If I feel really bored later on, I'll probably do some more checking but right now I guess I'll just play some Project CARS instead...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2012
  17. xw383

xw383 Registered

Hi all has anyone found a solution to this prob? I am running windows xp and receiving the same error as stated above. Any ideas people? Cheers xw383

18. fobban

fobban Registered

I agree with the OP. Hardware scan should be removed. Tim et al. can't you just log during (re)activation the 'fingerprint' (or some hardware details), and then on your end have some algorithm that comes up with suspicious accounts? Email the accounts and they'll have a chance to explain themselves, or eventually disable them.

19. JohnQ

JohnQ Registered

I always got that problem, I never successfully got into this game until today then the problem got back somehow. I think it have to do with Power Management when the computer is back on after sleeping. Very annoying, I refuse to reboot my computer everytime I will need to get into the game. This should be fixed or removed asap imho.

20. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Well I hope you have contacted the email in the message telling them about your system? They're not going to know if they have never had it reported? Thanks :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.