FIA Formula Two Williams JPH1B Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Sep 11, 2012.

1. martymoose

martymoose Registered

I have noticed in the F2 coming out of the pits first time out the breaks lock up much easier first couple corners especially on a green track. No idea about brake ducts though as I never got the brakes to a point where they went bad and never thought of needing to change the ducts.

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yeah, neither have I actually. I need to run some longer races. :)

3. tjc

tjc Registered

Man... you have a great job Tim... :)

4. 88mphTim

You probably have more time with the software than I do. :)

5. tjc

tjc Registered

I can appreciate that as I`m sure lots of other things keep you pretty busy but still a pretty cool job. :)

6. 88mphTim

Last month was nice, the tracks I had to survey was a total dream to be at. Exhausting though.

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Circuit Of The Americas per chance? only ask as I hope to be there for the V8s next May :D

8. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

The problem I can see is that the carbon fiber brakes as mentioned either earlier or in a different thread, require to be cooled rapidly once they get heated up so that they don't hold temps over the 500 degree Celsius range. The brake ducts should produce widely varying temps during a lap with the max not exceeding the 1000 degree mark and the min staying above the 500 mark. Has anyone looked at the Motec data to see if this is happening?

9. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I don't think that I can keep them above 500, 300-600 perhaps at Monaco, I think it was with smallest duct size, but not so sure, it is many days since I did test that combo, but I think that I'm constantly under temp with brakes and performance sufferers because of that, or then does not suffer, not so sure. I have also issues with front tire temps as I don't drive enough hard, would need to push harder, but I'm bit slow for that.

10. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

I nearly always put the duct size on the smallest hole next to closed, otherwise as you say, the brakes just dont get up to temp properly

11. 88mphTim

Haven't been there yet. Hoping for my first visit for the V8's also. I don't know if I will go for the F1, unless a team gets me in, which I doubt so far.

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

U mean f1 tracks or cars, cause there was a marussia pic released wasn't there?

13. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

You want to go for ALMS/WEC, Tim. :cool:
    I'll be back at Silverstone for WEC in April. I know I might freeze or drown, but still... :p

14. Michael Borda

Michael Borda Car Team

The people here who noticed that the brake duct size has little influence on the actual brake temperatures are correct, it does vary insufficiently between minimum and maximum settings (by what probably is a factor of around 3, due to a unit change) and will be amended in future versions. However, as long as you can keep the temperature above 300°C at the end of long straights the brakes will more or less perform optimally. Also note that the aerodynamic influence of altering brake ducts is very small in these cars, so it's worth trying to keep the discs under 850°C if possible.

15. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Awesome post. Thank you!

16. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Ok guys is this car meant to have absolutely no force fedback? Well, I know it's a high downforce car but when turning I could do it with one finger, my littlefinger. It feels like my G27 wheel is not connected at all...

17. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Yes I have just entered a series running this car so have been driving it for the first time and the wheel (fanatec) is like a dead fish...I know reading through the thread this is supposed to be right but I hate it...

18. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Not saying this will fix your complaints but when you set front toe to zero you get a bit more feel. Just saying. :)

19. Kibbs

Kibbs Registered

I don't seem to get much grip FFB around the center of the wheel like I do with the F3.5.

20. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Thank you, I'm gonna try this :)