FIA Formula Two Williams JPH1B Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Domi

Domi Registered

jtbo, the last 2 attached pictures are very small :p

2. Domi

Domi Registered

I think the sign of the steering arm forces (+/-) it's just based on the direction of the corner (left-right), no? Check it with the steered angle and probably the result will be quite similar.

Edit: nevermind, you have the steering there as well :p it seems a bit strange... you are right.

3. krivjur

krivjur Registered

Yes I agree, but there isn't enough data exported currently to calculate slip angles.

On initial loading yes, they're the opposite (eg. steer to -ve, steering force goes +ve). But you can see on my screenshot that the force changes to reverse sign even while steering angle is kept the same. I have already posted a video on this, there should be no doubt really that this is happening with this car on default setup especially.

Driving style will of course alter how much it's visible, but everyone can do their own tests to see what happens. As has been said a few times, we can't change the caster, but if we could the "problem" would likely go away.

I'd guess it's because the steering arms on your car and F2 are on opposite sides of the front axle. Wasn't your point though, right? :) I can't see the last two pictures, really small.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2012
  4. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Perhaps I found a bug from Irfanview when saving gif images, I made new ones in PNG, maybe these work better.

2nd last image
    View attachment 3996

last image from my previous post, hopefully usable now?
    View attachment 3997

5. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Yeah that is reason for it. Not sure if I have a point, just thinking aloud, sometimes it stirs up ideas and such :)

I added new versions of last two pics, I try to figure out how to edit them to original post...

6. krivjur

krivjur Registered

Not sure if those slip ratios are correct, quite a lot on straight line, flat throttle (I assume +100% is locked here).

7. David Almiron

David Almiron Registered

First time I've been to two formula was a little disappointed, really did not feel much and it was hard to track the direction, the track was Palm Beachs. My next race was in Sebring and everything changed, really a show, perfect, it happened on other tracks, I think it may be a problem only in Palm Beach.

8. jtbo

jtbo Registered

That is what has been puzzling myself, 15% or so at speed. I think problem lies within ground speed as it includes radius of the wheel, which is something I can't see because files are locked. 0.34 must be something else (15%?), different for front and rear, so it creates some 'base' slip because of that, but rest should provide information, so if one does not look absolute value, but change to value, it should still show what ever one likes to see.

Ground speed = ('Wheel Rot Speed FL' [rpm]*60*0.34*2*3.14)/1000

Slip ratio = ('Ground Speed' [km/h]-'FL wheel speed' [km/h])/'Ground Speed' [km/h]

If anyone has radiuses of front and rear wheels for Formula 2 then I could correct that too.

edit: I changed radius of tires in math to be now ~15% less at front and ~15% less at rear, so it is closer, but of course still not right, also it can't work perfectly unless expansion of tires is accounted in maths, some multiplier that takes speed into account, but we don't know how much those specific tires expand either, maybe can be guessed or evaluated from tires in Formula Renault if those are tested with tire tool?

View attachment 3998

I don't like from palm beach at all, but I try to do some laps there to see how it feels, but it can be that Mills and Malaysia have grippier surface than Palm Beach that makes it to feel different? Anyway there is always something to be learnt.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2012
  9. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Palm beach.

What I found out there is that if I turn too much, car turns bit less and indeed steering becomes quite numb, but I can easily tell where that limit is and stay within the limit as turning more will cause car to understeer too much anyway, so every time one turns so much it cause time to be lost. Car is just telling that one should slow down or turn less.

This is far from good lap, 1:09.something as I still need to learn track better, with low FOV I can't really see when turn is about to end so it takes quite bit of time to actually be able to remember where I can start accelerating, it is flying blind in a way, but then again it gives also much better car controlling as I can see so well every small change in car.

View attachment 3999

10. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

You guys are hilarious. Stop trying so hard and come race the historics with me. :)

11. David Almiron

David Almiron Registered

LOL, I love Historic mod, but F2 is fantastic.

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Yep the f2 is super, can't wait untill it gets it's updates

13. jtbo

jtbo Registered

14. Guilherme Faustini

Guilherme Faustini Registered

what telemetry software u guys using ? Motec ? Can u guys give link to the rf2 version ?

15. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

In the mods section you can find the motec plugin which records data, but doesn't display it real time. Easy to setup and use, though you will also need motec i2 Pro to be able to read the data.

16. gruby

gruby Registered

For me, F2 is a too easy to control car. I don't believe so powerful engine can be so easy to drive. Suspicious for me also the same people that ranted against rf when the cars were difficult, now praise it after the too easy clio and now F2, when nothing else has changed. We are seeing that we demand simulation, yes, but only up to a point.

17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Re.ffb

Not enough forces at low speed
    To much force at straight line high speed

Not enough mid corner

Hopefully they'll sort in the next update

Still enjoying this car though

18. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

Too easy? I don't think it is too easy.... especially at lower speeds in corners, you have to be VERY easy on the throttle. I really like this car, had a great race against the AI at Malaysia the other day.

19. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Hi Paul,

FYI - I'm using the T500 with F1 wheel. I installed the v40 driver and at first I was disappointed but it is well worth the update. The only caveat is the FFB overall needs to be turned up within the T500 wheel settings.

I went from using overall FFB at 70% to 84%. That brought the weight and feeling back to the F2 that I had with driver v38. Turn in is still a touch lighter than what it was with v38 but I'm getting more feedback from it. I also noticed the F2 has less understeer and my personal best lap times at Sepang dropped by half a second. Even with front and rear wings set too high (for this track) I'm in the mid 1:49s now.

Since we know nothing changed in the game, same build level, same mod, I think this shows us the wheel wasn't getting all the data it should have been.
    I also turned the force multiplier down to default 1.00 from 1.02. Hope that helps.

FWIW - Certainly something for ISI to look into before they consider any changes to the brilliant F2!

20. rer8

rer8 Registered

I have commented and followed the comments about the grip levels in the Formula 2 Car with interest. Initially I thought that the slow speed grip levels might be too low, but with time in the sim and mostly suspension adjustments I have come to believe that the developers probably have it correct. It goes without saying that this is a high performance "winged" car. When thinking about the aero aspect of the car it clearly has significantly more grip with speed.

I selected the North Loop to run my "independent" test. I am not particularly fast but my attempt was to put ~ 10 laps in both the Default set up and a set up that works for me.No adjustments were made other than the car setup. In the end I was only slightly faster (1.2 seconds) in the car with the adjustments. My well used G25 happily performed its function. The Logitech profiler is installed but I haven't looked at it (adjusted) since I installed a new hard drive almost a year ago, and installed the profiler along with other unused programs.

Table of differences from Default Setup
    Brakes F/R: 43/57
    ARB f/r: Inner Hard/Disconnected
    Slow Bump/Rebound F/R: 28/37 32/40
    Fast Bump/Rebound F/R: 28/37 32/40
    Ride Height F/R: 10mm/39mm
    Camber F/R: -1.81/-1.3
    Wing F/R: 5/Hole 4 Gurney

I didn't buy a new wheel and I didn't tweak anything other than the items listed above. Yes, it took many laps on more than a few different tracks for me to come to the conclusion that I might have just found a "winged"/ modern sim car that I like.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2012