FIA Formula Two Williams JPH1B Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Sep 11, 2012.

1. WallyM

WallyM Registered

I can't start the car. Other cars work fine, but with this one, I click race, get on track, I hear the ignition but then it just dies but I get no throttle response at all. Gear shifts work, no pedals. It's not a config issue, because I can drive other cars. Help!

2. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Something wrong with your controller, looks like its into gear. what controller you use? h-shift, paddles, what?
    What do you mean no pedals?

3. WallyM

WallyM Registered

DFGT with A1 pedals. I can drive all the other cars in rF2, but when I try to drive the formula 2, the engine does dies in the pit box and there is no response at all when I press the throttle. Pressing the clutch does nothing. I have starter and ignition buttons mapped - they do nothing. Then I go and drive another car and everything works.

Edit: WTH? The AI can't drive the car either. When the car is sitting in the pit box, I select AI control, and you can see the AI putting the car into 1st gear, but then it can't move, and the AI just keeps going back to neutral and trying to engage 1st again.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2012
  4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Only thing I can think of is you are in manual gearbox and you are stuck with gear inside. Try to put automatic gearchanges in Settings, Difficulties, maybe this helps?

5. jtbo

jtbo Registered

What is your game version?

For me it sound like if you would have older version than 107, but of course it can be numerous of other reasons too. Do you have pedal plugin installed? That could be useful to see if there are pedal movements etc.

Interesting issue as there really should not be many things that could make such issue to happen.

-------------

It takes around 30minutes for upload to finish, but I have one lap with Formula 2 car at Mills, not my best lap yet, but I think it shows how car really fits on that track, you can do so much with the car there and very little understeer from some reason. I fail always at least at one corner, but slowly I think I'm learning how to drive and setup this thing, bit more practice and I think I can learn when to hit accelerator to get perfect exits, car demands very accurate timing because of it's weight balance and high grip slicks, one has no time to think, but need to learn to trust car and just do things fast and accurately to make it fly.

For me this is very fast pace of driving. However fast guys probably drive lot under 1 minute laptimes. Video has finished uploading.

6. WallyM

WallyM Registered

The car works at tracks other than Palm Springs. Everything is fully updated.
    The car doesn't feel too bad straight out of the box.

FFB rattles like crazy, as everyone knows.

7. oneill875

oneill875 Registered

I changed this too as soon as I looked in the controller ini file. I also changed the throttle effects on steering and braking effects on steering from default ( throttle on throttle etc). Don't really know if it does anything though, it may be a placebo so can anyone else confirm? I don't use any aids whatsoever except the clutch and I also have steering set to full linearity with no speed damping.

I've got to say that I am really enjoying this car at the croft circuit as it just feels right. If you lower tyre pressures and soften up the rear with the rebound dampers plus fairly low steering lock (15 degrees) you can power slide this thing out of turns three, five and ten no problems at all. I really think you just need to put some time in on the setup and she's a beauty to drive.

Yeah there is under steer in low speed corners but this can be adjusted for in setups, the downforce seems to do its job pretty well in medium to high speed corners too. I will admit though that I would like some more feedback through the wheel when the rear wheels are slipping, I can catch it because the setup is right but wouldn't like to try it with a stiff rear setup.

Cheers,

Dan.

8. oneill875

oneill875 Registered

Just a quick edit: I get low 1:14s at croft during qualifying and also at race pace. AI set to 100% and I can out drive them, how does that compare to other drivers? Just to see if I need to push some more :)

9. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I find croft really well made track, but also I find it bit too flat for my liking, there is nothing maker of Croft can do to it as real track is such.

I attach my current best from Mills track, I guess I did overdo it a bit, despite going sideways at full lock I managed to improve my best time, 1:01.something, now I remember why I gave up running against clock, my neck hurts really bad...

But I just want to get it under one minute...

10. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

I just checked areplay of a Q session, and since you can't see the actual laptime in a replay I took my stopwatch and came up with 1.09 so there's still some work :D

11. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

You always need to push some more ;)

12. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

It does with every car, AFAIK, as it should do, its a simulator of racing cars, its not a simulator of wipped cream!!!

1 person likes this.
  13. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

I have same settings except raised the car specific FFB to 2,0. Now forces are much stronger on G27 and FFB feels lot better. I can confirm you saying FFB gets light when you overturn the wheel (when front tires are losing grip). If I continue to turn more then it "gets crazy" as it starts to turn the wheel to the inside direction. Realistic or not - can't tell. Just did PB 1:03,4xx at Palm Beach so stronger forces are not making me slower.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm now using FFB torque filter 4 because rattling became so loud I couldn't properly hear tire scrubbing from my semi-open headphones. :)

14. krivjur

krivjur Registered

I didn't have huge problem with it without filtering. Don't like it that much but can be dealt with no filtering (torque filter 32 doesn't actually cure it that much IMO). One problem I'm suspecting now though is that the rattling loosens up the 5 screws on the CSW quick release inside the base component. So the wheel connection becomes loose and I need to re-tighten them all the time.

15. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

My personal best at Croft is a 1.08.8.. Hehe.

I'm not always the fastest but I can adapt pretty fast. I altered pretty much the whole setup to get max downforce, softer suspension (especially the fast bump and rebound and springs) and also I got rid of some Toe in and out to make it a but more stable when entering corners. When you have it pretty stable you can really push and throw the car and the downforce does the rest.

16. johnnyw

johnnyw Registered

I have kinda mixed feelings with this car currently, its nice car but lack of the feedback my G27 is giving out makes it rather difficult to drive consistently. I tried to up the car specific ffb but anything over 1.35 it really start to get too much rattling wont be comfortable using it like that as it sounds like wheel is about to blew up.

Anyway here is one of my better laps so far at Palm Beach, like 0.080 from pb.

- Joni V

17. oneill875

oneill875 Registered

Well I've got to say that a 1:08 /9 is really too good for me at the moment! I only learnt the track three days ago but I just can't see where to make up 5 seconds? Obviously I'm not using any aids at all, pretty much the same setup as above and just getting to max revs in 6 th at the end of the straights. Third gear through turns one,ten and eleven? I suppose I could risk the end of the lap a bit more but I need consistency to beat the AI at 100% otherwise you spin once and you lose five places!

18. oneill875

oneill875 Registered

Ok so I adjusted my style a bit and changed some corner entry techniques along with which gear I use and I got a 112:2 and my first sector after that was -0.550 then I lost it! I can now see a 1:10 in my sights but I don't think I could do it consistently yet :)

Thanks for the motivation guys

19. ...with G25/G27 wheels! ;)

20. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

I don't use any aids neither. The key is keeping momentum and get on the throttle as fast as possible. After the first 2 right handers its a compromise between a longer line with higher speed or a shorter racing line with a slower pace. The fast chicane is full throttle.

Then, the bumpy bit through the right hander. Key is a later braking point and turn in, stable at the apex and accelerate towards the outside.

Then, full throttle through the left and right.

Then, hard on the brakes for the double right, quickly downshift 3 times, turn in, get it stable on the outside and get on the throttle asap towards the apex and accelerate as hard as you can towards the outside.

Then, a short hard tap on the brakes with 1 or 2 downshifts (cant remember) and full power through the INSIDE of that left hander. Then, brake hard into 2nd gear and get through the slow right hander carefully.

Then easy on the throttle up one shift and directly down to second or even first for the last corner. Take the short slow line and don't run that wide and carefully accelerate to finish.

I'm using 100% brake pressure BUT I have the brake pedal sensitivity at the lowest possible setting. This gives me a better ability to accurately apply brake pressure. When I say hard on the brakes, I really press the brake hard. When you have the sensitivity on the normal setting you would lock wheels with pressure at 100%. When you lower sensitivity you can slam them harder without locking, because the G25 brake pedal has some nice resistance towards maximum travel.