FIA Formula Two Williams JPH1B Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Schueppe

Schueppe Registered

First of all thanks for the work put into the. I just had the time to drive it the first time. It really is amazing, because of the restricted set up options I had an OK one pretty quick and then pulled a few more laps in one stint. After changing the FFB to 1.08 I got the right feeling and could push it really on the limit (sometimes above).

The car is a real joy to drive, even if the FFB seems a little weak in slow corners (hence the adjusting). I even got away with going over the limits more often then I thought possible, almost addicting :p.

All in all thx to ISI for amazing the work they have done. As well as to a few guys online that made a bit of wheel to wheel racing real fun :D

2. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

Ok, I did second run, much longer this time ;) and I agree with others.

Overall feeling is good but I also have problem with FFB in tight corners where FFB is very weak (centering forces are close to zero) and it is difficult to feel tires' grip in these corners.

Like I mentioned earlier sounds are very good, model visually is ok, but there are a lot of smoothing groups errors and also I noticed that suspension isn't connected properly to wheels.

3. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

No it isn't, it's gimped, suffers badly at Watkins Glen and the new F2 is horrid on front end FFB.

1 person likes this.
  4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Gutted I cant drive this, reading all the great comments and I'm on an old backup machine as my new SSD is dead so my spanking new mother of a PC is doing nothing next to me!...not to mention the rave reviews of the AI....DAMMIT!!

5. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

Stop calling every single person a fanboy when you're showing fanboy-like attitude towards Logitech G25 and G27. It's just naive to think your hardware can do a perfect job without any problems when a top-end simulation like rF2 is outputting such different FFB to more 'standard' and dumbed down (and canned) FFB of older sims.

BTW, I use a G25 too. I'm not mad at ISI for making the most advanced simulation available for the public. If rF2 is so rubbish, can you explain the close relationship between ISI and reallife racing teams in different series?

Don't make me laugh

Oh BTW, the real reason for my reply:

Watkins Glenn is a mod which isn't made by ISI and which is not final. It's just insane you use this as an argument and for me, a perfect example of the fact you don't know where you're talking about

6. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

I noticed the same thing - my lap times didn't improve towards the end of the race. However going off the rubbered driving line the grip was lower.

Compared to few guys I was faster at the start of the race but later on they were faster. So yes probably both things happened so extra grip was indeed compensated by worn tires. :)

7. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

It's not a G25/27 problem. I have a T500RS and it feels all wrong here too. It feels like the tires are made of sandpaper running over slate. I also notice that the starting tire pressures are very low so it took a while to get them up to pressures then they felt better. But still the grip is very low.

But not knowing how to drive this, it was hard to get the tire pressure up (have to drive it hard to warm the tires- can't push if you cant drive it... catch 22) and the grip was bad at the beginning. I imagine with higher tire pressures the car would start out feeling better.

8. Jos

Jos Registered

to experience some physics I would recommend the heartland topeka intermediate course, short but fast!

9. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Tried it just now; WOW! Nice!! Especially the behavior of the AI, that's just great! Congratulations ISI, bigs steps made here!

Just one question; my wheel is acting strange on this one, all other mods feel okay, but this one.....
    When I turn more than 30 degrees (approximately) it goes to the direction you push it into and I just have to apply power to get it back.
    It is all the time, when I make it under or oversteer or let it roll.
    Now this must be my wheel itself, I see no one writing about this and my wheel is a Momo red (don't laugh!) :)
    So, it is not the newest, but only here I have this "problem" and I'd like to ask if there is a workaround that anybody knows of?

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Tim, was there anything specifically done to the AI to make them good with the F2? Or just more detail in the talent files?

Again not raced this yet so only going on others opinions thus far!

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

If filtering is not to your taste, don't use filtering. If you don't like the FFB, you don't like the FFB. Noted, thanks for your feedback.

12. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

What about other sim developers who also have close relationship with real life racing teams and their FFB feels better?
    You know, looks like your argument is weak.
    Please do not attack F2Chump only because he is reporting issue being not satisfied with how rF2 supports his wheel.. most popular wheel on the market.

13. Maybe there is just another manner to tell things!

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

No changes to the AI, except possibly more time and effort put into the talent file. AI was always something I enjoyed editing.

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Ok cool thanks, looking forward to getting stuck into it one day myself!

16. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

BTW anyone noticed flashing rain-light even in dry conditions?
    I noticed it during a few on-line races today.

17. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Quick review after driving the car for 45 or so laps , Lap time 1.05s on palm springs

SOUND

- sounds are good best sounds of any RF2 car

Graphics

- More than acceptable but I think the texture resolution and mapping could be a tiny bit better for the nose parts visable to the driver

FFB

1) No feel for what the back end of the car is doing
    2) Over satuartion of small bumps on g25
    3) even with torque filter G25 is shacky
    4) FFB seems lagy and unrepresentative of what the mass of the car is doing
    5) FFB inverts at low angles
    6) Car is more drivable with FFB turned off

physics

1) car feels as if it has lag on its movement especially around the centre when the mass is moved ( would not expect this from this type of car)

2) car gets stuck in slides wheels wont grip back in

3) very binary lateral tire behaviour feels as if grip is on and off ( part of my issues with RF2 in general )

4) I like the sensitive brakes and having it easy to lock wheels but I don't think many people will.

5) overall brake distances speed and those aspects of the car seem to be spot on to what i would exspect from F2 Car.

6) Car seems as if its pivoting in the middle of itself rather than on its wheels

7) vertualy no grip at low speed made even worse by lack of FFB or communication of what the car is doing.

Overall I'm really dissapionted unless the car has significant changes in its physics and FFB then i don't think any serous sim racers will put up with it, which is a shame because in principle a F2 car would be perfect for close on-line racing.

As for the G25 and G27 FFB issues simply having the ini values changeable in the UI is not going to be good enough what needs to be done is substatail changes in the "EQ" of the FFB for G25 and G27 so that the sharp bumps that cuse the rattle are mitigated without having to dampen the overall FFB response.

The G25 and G27 are the most popular FFB wheels on the market and they work very well with i racing , NKP, GTR evo, RRRE ,FVA ,RF1, GSC so evan if it is a case that they simply cannot take the FFB from RF2 due to its amazing quality. That does not solve the problem that a large % of the market wont be able to play RF2 to a satisfactory level.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  18. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

I do some laps online and is a blast, love it, just one thing, when the front wheels slip is dificulty to feel, too muted IMO, just that.

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hi all,

I tried the f2 earlier for about 2 hours, really happy it's finally been released, I didn't really have enough time to get use to it so just going to mention a few of my first impressions:

Generally I'm not really bothered about A.I as I only really practice/race online, in rf2 I rarely join servers so just test/practice alone on track (maybe with 2 AI's just for eye candy), the F2 AI's do seem quite impressive from my first impressions & to my surprise I'm actually considering a practice session with a full track of AI's

I like quirks in sim cars too so the brake pressure etc is something to get use too.

the ffb is close to the real thing? Ok no problem with that although I do hope it's amended slightly -just my opinion but I think as much messages as possible should be in the ffb as we don't feel the g forces etc that a real world driver feels, so maybe a little acceleration vibration & reduce the difference between the car low speed & car high speed forces (a little diference is logical)

A very slight amount of tire flex ( maybe not noticeable in the real world car ) but everything we can do to make up for the fact that in sim racing we are not in real world cars etc.

Anyway these are just my first thoughts, I hope to spend another few hours again tomorrow night

The textures look low (comparing to the 60's historics), maybe the textures updated will be updated too.

The sounds are awesome ! I love the whistle of the turbo

It's good that ISI have put in alot of work to make this sim car very close to the real world, but back to the point of simulators lack g-forces etc, it would be nice if a little bit more "feel" could be added to this car if possible.

I like it better than the iracings version of the star Mazda if it's a fair comparison.

A big thanks to Tim & the rest of the ISI team, I think they are very committed to making a top notch simulator here.

Thanks for reading (-;

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2012
  20. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

If you believe reality, then don't trust videos, pictures and audio recordings blindly. You eyes are not cameras, and your ears are not microphones. They don't work in the same way and don't give the same results. No on-board video will look nor sound like what you'd experience when you're behind the wheel yourself.