FIA Formula Two Williams JPH1B Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Sep 11, 2012.

1. krivjur

krivjur Registered

Looking at setup, the car has only 2.5 deg of caster and it's nonadjustable. So it may be prone to negative aligning torque.

2. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I thought of camber / caster which may change the "median point of where force is applied to a tyre" (a bit of a simplification, I know :) ).

As it turns out - with camber -1.8 there is some centering force and while it's not much it will immediately center your steering wheel when you let go. But when you turn your steering wheel above some point it stops centering it.
    With camber -4.9 I can let go steering wheel in mid corner and it stays where it is.

Yeah, looks like we had the same thought :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2012
  3. jtbo

jtbo Registered

At old days, passenger car front suspension was setup so that car helps to steer, because no power steering, so when parking one moved car bit forward and it was quite easy to steer because of this geometry, this also could cause bit of dull feeling to steering at speed with some cars, depending how they had implemented this behaviour.

It probably also has some effect as if car is made so that it is not too hard to steer at high downforce, then it can have effect to low speed pull too.

I'm quite sure car is made to meet specifications of real car so effect is probably then in real car too?

However, pulling is nothing like what I experience with 60's street cars I'm working on, caster is negative and camber is positive, complete opposite from more modern cars, then there is huge amount of scrub, which then makes quite different ffb experience, there is lot of pulling at times, with F2 I haven't felt anything of such level.

edit: Guys above seemed to have ideas of same direction. Now I can't remember too well, but I think that pneumatic trail was mostly in effect at higher speeds?

4. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Is there anyway to transfer my payment for rf2 into rf1, ie, refund my rf2 payment into a rf1 account so that my G27 can be used properly?

1 person likes this.
  5. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

+1

With this car I decided not to spin at start and gain speed gradually. Well at the first corner I locked the rear wheels and spun to the grass. At last corner of the first lap had a little powerslide, tried to countersteer and next thing I noticed going rear-end ahead into the pits and stalled the engine. :) That was the moment I was thinking "wow, this is the real deal!"

After a hour or so I started to gain control/confident/speed and must say it's extremely enjoyable car to drive! Maybe the steering is little weak at low speeds but that's just guessing. I also have G27 and the rattling is indeed horrendous but I just don't care. No filtering for me and if it breaks down I'll get belt-driven wheel next time. I don't have any complains regarding FFB excluding little weakness so maybe I'll raise the FFB multiplier next time.

Great mod - great job. Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  6. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I did one better and didn't spin until I exitted paddock and turned left in the pitlane :)

But it wasn't any indication to me if the mod was good or bad. I needed to do some laps to see if I like it or not. Turns out I like it :) I will never know if it's good or bad because I'm not an F2 driver. Fortunately, Luciano is and if there would be something odd with the car I think he would have noticed.

The problem is always with people complaining when they get something different than they expected. I'm even ok with that negative alligning force as soon as I get confirmation there's nothing wrong with it. I never expected any car to drive and feel the same and if there's something odd at first glance I simply assume I need to find out more about it, because my idea of it could be wrong in the first place.

It still seems weird to me that I can let go steering wheel mid corner and it stays where I left it, but I try to be open minded about these things since I'm no expert.

Or simply put - I don't want to get the car "I would like to get". I want a car I'm supposed to get and in the worst case it will be an eye-opener for me.

Well, we have been warned that "rF2 may break too many barriers". Perhaps this is one of them or perhaps it's just another issue to fix.

7. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

I've noticed something which seems strange to me....the grip level I had in the car was the same when the track had no rubber at all and all the way till the end to a 20 minute race full of rubber...

Am I doing something wrong or am I hallucinating? :confused:

8. krivjur

krivjur Registered

After some more laps I have to say this car is fun to drive. I didn't find it particularly hard on above hairpin speeds, especially compared to FR 3.5, but I wasn't really going for lap times either. The steering gets light on default setup, quite easily to near zero force, and yes sometimes tiny bit of steering into corner. Tried this with letting go of wheel on entry and mid corner. Already starting to get used to the behavior though.

9. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I own you then, over 1 lap at Mills before my attempts to drift at every corner caused me to spin to fence after main straight ROFL

I like this car too, also I like how ISI is not making all cars to have incredibly nice feeling FFB but to make cars to real specs resulting ffb what ffb comes as a result as that is realistic way.

Some really cool cars have really crappy steering feel in real world, if feeling is crappy in real car, I guess it is just good simulation if feeling is crappy in simulation?

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

There have been some internet issues in general recently. Some hops going down, mainly due to hacking attacks I think... The mod should have nothing to do with it.

11. 88mphTim

No, there isn't. Also, your G27 is fully functional in rFactor2. There needs to be some UI adjustment, yes, but UI won't be complete during testing. You know that.

G27 works fine, but loud, you can get quiet FFB, better FFB than rF1, by adding filtering to rF2. rF1 already has filtering...

12. 88mphTim

Not doing something wrong, just probably not using the extra grip you had later on.

Also, worthy of note, you might have had good grip on new tires, then when more rubber was down, your tires were shot. ;)

13. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

That's because you didn't have to make that turn from paddock to pitlane at Palm Beach ;)

14. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Yes, that could be the case. I have also noted that the tire temperature always remained between 60 and 70. Is that normal?

15. fedexpress

fedexpress Registered

just tried out the new formula 2 and new build, i gotta say it's amazing!!!!

wish there was more content though :(

16. Whykonen

Whykonen Registered

B1K3R you can abuse the tires pretty well if you want :) Lower tire pressures for example. I posted a setup in the setup thread for F2 that should be adaptable to other tracks. (used Mid ohio)
    Had a lot of fun with readouts in motec, just like running a real car!

17. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Thanks mate, yeah I am using your setup :)

I think I'm just a noob ;)

18. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Ah, bummer and here I thought that I would be amazing :D

Rear tires are not lasting very long in this car, wear bars turned yellow in 5 laps, or maybe it is just my driving :p

I put car specific ffb multiplier to 0.5 and did some tests, when stationary, force needed to turn tires is slightly higher than when moving tiny bit forward, but maybe it should be larger difference, not so sure about that. One thing that effects this is contact patch slide %, when car is stationary and you turn tires probably whole contact patch need to go from static to sliding, but when moving only part will actually slide at a time. When stationary steering wheel must generate whole force that makes whole contact patch to slide, but when moving tiny bit wheel only encourages tire to change direction, which is then part of reason why it is easier to turn tires when moving.

With greater amount of scrub tire is kind of walking around a arc instead of turning around stationary, unless I'm completely mistaken, that also happens at times.

Then I tested bit of turbo and turbo rpm is perhaps working way I imagine it should, but sound volume is too agressive or too related to throttle pedal, at least for what I have used to, haven't used to F2 cars though, so who knows maybe it is so.

In turbo there are two clearly audible portitions, whistle and air suction kind of sound, latter is quite related to loud pedal position, first lives bit of it's own life, even if you lift off it usually lowers pitch and quiets down slow, also typically you need quite lot of throttle and decent engine rpm to have it at full pitch ie. max rpm.

Until I have had a play with model I can't tell much more, but I would guess that there is only one sample being played with and it is quite heavily tied to accelerator position.

Still modern computer controlled VNT turbo can sound quite a bit different from what I'm used to, it is possible to set it so that it gets full speed faster than traditional turbo, but still I would imagine it being more gradual by volume of sound when modulating throttle to different positions.

Will be interesting to have a play with model, but what I have now experimented, I would say it might benefit from separe woosh sample from whiii sample :D

19. baked bean

baked bean Registered

I see, dodgy b%$tards. thanks Tim

20. jtbo

jtbo Registered