Can I race triple screens with 1 GTX570 HD card?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by MikeyRud, Sep 9, 2012.

1. MikeyRud

MikeyRud Registered

[New question below Dec. 9, 2012]

Ok,

have done searches here in these forums and googled alot too on the subject of "how to setup...." but I am just gonna try here w you all! :)

My Nvidia card has the support for "3D VISION Surround"...my current rig is>>

LCD: 24" Asus w HDMI port, and a DVI
    GPU: GTX570 HD 1280MB
    CPU: i5 2500
    RAM: 8GB G.SKILL
    MB: GIGABYTE B75M-D3H

So , after getting 2 other monitors will this work if I connect this setup?

If so what cables or special hardware is needed?

thx race rig fans! lol ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2012
  2. modmate

modmate Registered

Hey,

Nvidia cards doesnt support tripple screen until gtx 6XX series. You need a second card for that.

Greets

3. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

You could do it with a TripleHead2Go.

4. modmate

modmate Registered

Sure, but it will cost you up to 300$ just for the hardware and ive seen alot of people got problems getting the 5k resolution to work. you`ll also need a really big gfx card to handle all that. At the end he can get another GFX card for that price and end up with more and better performance. Tripplehead from matrox was usually made for laptops if i remember correct.

5. wrxxy

wrxxy Registered

Gtx 570 will work but only with another GTX570 with a total 3 DVI ports thats the only way you will get it to work Or get a GTX 590 in the 5 series.........

6. MikeyRud

MikeyRud Registered

ok thanks
    I appreciate it

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

My advice is don't, cost for the second GTX570 and upgrade to power supply ( IF needed ) VS the performance improvement less the 3 screen hit is bollocks.

Throwing SLi in a stock 2500K is not just a great idea imho.

Save up sell your GTX570 and buy a faster card.,

You should have brought a better motherboard that is capable of overclocking.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2012
  8. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Not everyone wishes to overclock their systems. It is true that the 2500K is capable of being overclocked by quite a bit but that doesn't mean that people are willing to risk things or have to spend more for cooling just to get a bit more out of their CPU. Although it is true that the motherboard he stated he has is not capable of overclocking the CPU, it is quite stable and will provide for some great uptime without any issues.

In all likelyhood, the CPU isn't going to be much of a bottleneck for triple screens when it is running at stock, though there are potential issues. With 2 GPU's in SLI, the OP will see an improvement in his graphics, but unfortunately with dual GPU's there is the issue that both nVidia and ATI have and that is micro stutter. For this reason I would suggest getting a more powerful single GPU rather than trying for the dual and having to worry about the stutter.

With the higher end 6xx cards, the OP will be able to use triple display and get some decent frame rates with most things maxed out even with a stock 2500 CPU.

1 person likes this.
  9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

What a long spool mate for someone runs a Phenom.

I run a 2500K in rF2 with SLi and single cards stock and running at 4.5GHz

I never said the 2500K would not run well stock or with 6 series or anything else.

So in the end you suggest the same thing I did...................

10. modmate

modmate Registered

If you compare 2 gtx 570 in sli to one single gtx670 you`ll see that the 5 series is still "better" here and there. There are enough benchmarks proof that.
    If he wants some MORE performance it needs to be a gtx680 wich is pretty expensive right now.

At the end we have to say that there is nearly NO simulator out there working well with sli compared to a single gpu.
    With my OC gtx570 Phantom i get a way better performance then a mate with sli, therefore i would just go for sli if you want tripple screen . But remember there is a performance lag.

1 person likes this.
  11. coops

coops Banned

+1 and yes i run sli for the reason of 3 screens only.

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I just do not see the good in being hamstrung with 1280mb of memory in 3 screens.

But if I did decide to get myself another Gigabyte GTX570 soc I would want to over clock my 2500K.

GTX670 2GB O/C plus a midrange Z77 mobo + Cooler and a 4.5GHz O/C gets my vote. :)

13. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Yes DurgeDriven, in the end we both suggest the same thing, but for different reasons.

I have no problem with people that want to OC their systems and GPU's. It is a personal choice. The issue I had was with you telling the OP he should have purchased a MB that supports OC for his CPU. There is a good possibility that the OP chose that MB for specific reasons like long uptime as well as stability where running a MB that supports OC'ing might not be as stable for him.

In the end we all have our reasons for doing what we do, and we hope that they work for us as well as we would like. To the OP, do what you feel is right and stay in your comfort zone.

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

What I was meaning to say imho he should have purchased a Motherboard supports OC.

Again I agree everything you say.

I just see a gaming motherboard for a performance gaming tower as a given, no problem
    2500K running demanding games needs a decent cooler imho, if anything it would prolong life and increase stability.

Still remains he would need another GTX570 and it seems he was not even aware of that fact.

I have no way of knowing if he will buy a GTX570, a 6 series for forget the 3 screen idea all together.
    I just think he should not spend money on 1280mb cards for 3 screens and want him to know that.

This is a RF2 forum and in 3 screens thread from what I have seen it is recommended over 1280mb.
    Usage is up to 1.8GB I think ?

15. Dan AccretionRacing

Dan AccretionRacing Registered

True modmate All nivida cards support 3 screens if you have SLI
    this is how it is done

with both cards installed and sli
    CARD 1
    Plug 1 monitor in HDMI and 1 in DVI if you have the ASUS 24" VH242H this has HDMI input so you want your DVI to be a DVI to HDMI this will allow you to maintain a HDMI connection on all 3 screems

CARD2
    Plug 1 in to HDMI

goto nvidia control panel even if you do not had 3D stero Cards and montitors tick Span Display with Surround then click config
    you will then see all your screens with numbers on them match then numbers in the pop up window to the numbers on your monitors
    click OK
    then add a bezal Correction click the link icon in middle of the 2 numbers then Match the sections of road on the 2 left had monitors so it seems that they join seamlessly the click the 00 on the right and repeat the process once you feel they are as good as your going to get them click OK and you are done
    Due to Nvidia being tight Twats you HAVE TO RUN SLI to get 3 screens or spend £1000 on the top card I believe they do 3 on one
    because they like ATI have a Mini Dispaly Port
    HDMI and DVI run the same channel and nivida only support 2 channels so the 2nd DVI is redundant but with the top end
    the have
    HDMI
    Display port
    DVI
    allowing 3 monitor
    the cheap way is to go Triple Header and that aint that cheap

this is what you will get if you go SLI
    View attachment 3920

16. Dan AccretionRacing

Dan AccretionRacing Registered

True modmate All nivida cards support 3 screens if you have SLI
    this is how it is done

with both cards installed and sli
    CARD 1
    Plug 1 monitor in HDMI and 1 in DVI if you have the ASUS 24" VH242H this has HDMI input so you want your DVI to be a DVI to HDMI this will allow you to maintain a HDMI connection on all 3 screems

CARD2
    Plug 1 in to HDMI

goto nvidia control panel even if you do not had 3D stero Cards and montitors tick Span Display with Surround then click config
    you will then see all your screens with numbers on them match then numbers in the pop up window to the numbers on your monitors
    click OK
    then add a bezal Correction click the link icon in middle of the 2 numbers then Match the sections of road on the 2 left had monitors so it seems that they join seamlessly the click the 00 on the right and repeat the process once you feel they are as good as your going to get them click OK and you are done
    Due to Nvidia being tight Twats you HAVE TO RUN SLI to get 3 screens or spend £1000 on the top card I believe they do 3 on one
    because they like ATI have a Mini Dispaly Port
    HDMI and DVI run the same channel and nivida only support 2 channels so the 2nd DVI is redundant but with the top end
    the have
    HDMI
    Display port
    DVI
    allowing 3 monitor
    the cheap way is to go Triple Header and that aint that cheap

this is what you will get if you go SLI
    View attachment 3920
    here is a direct link to actual size

http://sr4l.com/file/Dany_Mitchel/GRAB-061.jpg be warned you might get lost in this image on 1 screen lolol

17. ACSmall

ACSmall Registered

buy a ATI card and you can have eyefinity on 3 monitors with one card. Be sure one monitor has a display port.

I use a 6870 with 2g of mem and love it I play Arma2 GTAIV, Fallout new Vegas, Sniper V2 Rfactor 1&2 Raceroom rise of flight, Arca sim Racing and meany more and no problems

18. MikeyRud

MikeyRud Registered

Amen.
    Ya, I'm no expert on custom builds. I will stay put w my $tock race rig...for now. ;)
    So glad I asked this question.

Thanks again to all for the great input!! :)

19. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Yes, it can get expensive for sure.

At one time I was thinking about getting another GTX470 to match mine and another monitor to use the triple screen setup.

It has it's advantages and disadvantages. However, it sure looks cool!

1 person likes this.
  20. MikeyRud

MikeyRud Registered

Ok, a few months later I'm re-visiting this thread with a new 3 screen question ;)

Keeping everything current with my i5 2500 config, except replacing the video card with a GeForce GTX 670 2GB.
    Plus (ofcourse) then adding 2 of the same Asus VH242 monitors to match my current 24 inch screen.

Would this be a good 1 card solution?