The end of free mods?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by olex, Sep 6, 2012.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

No company pays to be in a simulation, unless it is something their marketing department things is of benefit. But usually then they will do a special deal, like Volvo with SIMBIN (although I have no idea whether money changed hands either way). So far that hasn't happened with us, although we have had a few free licenses (mainly for old F1 cars) from people who were just happy to see someone appreciate their history.

Most companies demand fees that are simply too high, so they either don't get licenses, or I talk to them on and off for months, and eventually they begin to realize that the best way to control their license, is to license it.

1 person likes this.
  2. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Kudos for steering the thread towards something constructive. Does anyone know of what came from the Textron (Bell Helicopters) vs EA (BF3) thing?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2012
  3. Cleverleyson

Cleverleyson Registered

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

is there anyone on these forums that are in enduracers or know anyone in them???

5. djvicious

djvicious Registered

Cool, thanks for the info, Tim. I wonder what the effect of the Renault Cars in Factor will have on Renault in the long run. I was even prompted to do some research on the Megane car to find out what it was. (Those of you in Canada will know Renaults aren't sold here)

Is it easier to get track licenses though? I imagine any circuit afiliated with F1 has some FOM restrictions on it, But certainly a place like Okayama circuit has little going for it and might covet some game exposure -these are assumptions though.

Another thing that might spark some debate here is the role of Codemasters and their exclusive F1 license. Will FOM start inhibiting modern F1 modding? Perhaps the nature of the sim versus a conventional f1 game might prevent conflict. I can only imagine that FOM might be bitchy about ISI potentially profiting off community-made F1 content that might detract from Codemasters sales though. We'll have to see.

6. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2012
  7. Frank Geyer

Frank Geyer Registered

That's it pretty much ... nothing left to say :D :D :D !!!

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Its a few computer files scattered on the world wide web how can you prove whos work it is, whos responsible, whos the artist of the game files, whos modded the physics, what that guy had for dinner that day, etc etc etc give me a break release the mod and quit being a bunch of little girls.

If not then give me the mod ill release it, tell porsche i created the mod i did all the work, or ill just pretend its my own mod and nothing to do with enduracers or WHATEVER. Theres about 2 million ways to get around this holy smokes.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2012
  9. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Hey holy smokes, I like your attitude, I really do :D

10. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

This is amazing! We need to find a lawyer that is a sim racer to look into this. I think it's amazing that Hundaimcan rip off every car on the planet almost identically and a damn sim game can't have a damn Porche in it. Amazing.

I don't blame Porsche for being greedy because that is not against the law but I see this as anti-competitive b/c the work is in the game and sim challenging each other not the car.

11. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I wonder if it is illegal to post a video of me taking a crap on a Porsche.

12. dandar

dandar Registered

This is just my personal opinion, please don't feel offended if u don't align to it.

What is the point ?
    The "intellectual property" and "i'm the owner" phrases must be redefined, because such topics leads to people to fight endlessly for no reason, and nobody wins.
    Imagine that every "owner" start complaining about his "intellectual property" on Wikipedia content. What would be the result ? Who will won ?
    Knowledge it's an atributte achieved by humans and must remain that way and be translated to the following generations, so here exists a REAL requirement for people who replicates others work.

A system that could be different
    Every thing that happens related to the phrases "intellectual property" and "i'm the owner" it's related to the way that money currently works. Money has become more important than most of our original reasons to exists. Our freedom would eventually become extinct.
    When humans made their appeareance on planet Earth, they all have the same equalities in resources, all of them have shared the same ground, food, water, caves, etc. and still we all are made with the same chemical and organic composition.
    Who really have earned the right to say I'm the owner of this ? No company have ever pay to me and/or you for using natural resources to build anything, and why they will need to pay us ? Because we ALL are the owners of the entire planet, by the fact that everyone of us have come from the same dust.
    And that's why I simply don't accept the fact that I must pay to a company to make a digital representation of one of their products in a simulator. I'm not talking about grabbing and using another people's work here.

Why i don't have the same rights to be on the system ?
    For those "intellectual property" and "i'm the owner" believers, please answer to this:
    Why my government will not pay me for recording my personal image with a survillance camara when i walk around the city ? I'm the only owner of my image !
    Why they don't pay me for having countless databases filled with my personal information ? It's my info !
    How have they deserved the right to control what I do and when I do something ... and Why ? I've never have voted in favor to this !
    Money it's the real god, even the air we breathe is sold, no ? what about the restricted areas ? Like area 51 bought the airspace from the terrain level to the infinity, and aereal company's have bought air corridors for their planes.

Just in case you still don't get the idea
    Well lets play with the system rules, for example, Porsche have adquired the right to own the licence of a 911, okey. But if I make a 3d model using the most perfect blueprint on the net, I'm 1000% sure that my model will be different to the real one for one pixel or more. What is the formula to affirm or deny if I've violated a licence ? Not even the most perfect car manufacturer would do two car identically equals, they will be different by at least one atom.
    No laser scanned track will be the same if the wind flies a leaf of a surrounding tree the very next second after the scan. And you still can own the "visual property" ? c'mon.

Moral of a fable
    No final answer exists to this questions, because they are all subjetive and they change in every point of view. I've lost my time writting this, like you have wasted yours reading it, but that's the point, no one ever wins talking/fighting about this kind of topics.
    I just want that my son have the opportunity to drive a licensed car into a simulator. Call me insane or terrorist if you want. But I really don't care what big companies may do to me, they could put me on jail, but in my mind i'll be free.

Now I must get back to work in order to complete my 58 Porsche models to share for free on P2P ;)
    Company owners please be kind to send me your lawyers only on Mondays from 10:00 a.m. until 10:01 a.m., thanks.

1 person likes this.
  13. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

LOL dont do this, I adore 911s, they are Ferry's (Butzi R.I.P.) creations.

14. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

No, its not just your opinion, its a fact on which all civilisation is based upon, amen...

15. djvicious

djvicious Registered

Intellectual Property is a ridiculous term in itself and has created absurd legal fiascoes even if it has good intentions of protecting people's work.

Anybody here like movies? If ass****S like Thomas Edison had it their way, the industry never would have taken off. Mr. Edison took just about everyone he could to court for patent infringement if they attempted to develop a video camera -even though Edison didn't design the majority of components, he just assembled the device in a particular way. But I digress.

The devs should finish and release the mod but strip away any Porsche branding from it. Now it's just a mod with 'stock' cars and technically there's nothing that can be done about it by Porsche. If they don't want their name used, so be it; they can miss out on FREE exposure to the sim crowds. I'll let ISI correct me if I'm wrong, but the Brianza track in rF2 is Monza, but there's no branding and no real infringement taking place.

I'm not sure Porsche's legal crew would waste their time taking an anonymous mod crew to court (which they can't if they're in different countries) by claiming virtual cars with a striking verisimilitude to their real cars are infringing copyrights when the namesake is nowhere to be found.

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Hahahahahah omg i laughed out loud in front of my family reading that, i was on my phone and couldt see the entire post only the first part so it sounded like a serious question, then i scrolled down and read the second part lolol

Hahaha im not even joking ill do it,

tell enduracers to privately send the files to a bunch of people then tell all those people to upload them, like whos to blame then, some of those people who upload it might not even know about this whole fiasco, just a ton of random people uploading a file on the web, how could you even prove who has done what in a situation like that, just a bunch of people around the world uploading some exe or .rar file on the internet lol

17. mianiak

mianiak Registered

It would be a perfect world if people took other people's ideas and creations and shared them freely to benefit the development of the human race, but unfortunately the human race is hell bent on self destruction, people see someone's idea/creation and find a way to take advantage of it, weather it be financial or self preservation.

Last night I watched a documentary on ant colonies, they all have the choice to be individual and move off on their own, but they chose to stick together and work as one. Scientists call them superorganisms http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superorganism .

2 people like this.
  18. jtbo

jtbo Registered

There is of course open source, which seem to become bigger and bigger all the time.

I'm attempting to get into state where I can live by farming, fishing, hunting, but it is bit of planning stages still, however general idea of working has been lost, it used to be so that you don't need to do everything by yourself, but now it has become something disgusting. There is one living style called downshifting, where you basicly step out of norm and work only to live, if everyone would do that and use their spare time with open source, it certainly would cut healthcare bills quite a bit.

Of course there are some issues, overpopulation etc. that prevent such from large scale.

Anyway, in RoR there are few very well done cars that are fantasy cars, but still very liked ones, for example:
    http://www.rigsofrods.com/threads/69706-Gavril-Omega

Maybe it is not so crucial to have car branded after real cars, of course Borsse cup does not ring bell as much and I'm sure there are some whom such can be large wall to get past, but after all driving is the part we are probably most critical about.

19. rhamm

rhamm Registered

Turn 10 had to get a sub license from EA to get Porsche into their games. They finally got one for Forza 4 and then charged $20 for the Porsche car pack.

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/forza_4/news/turn_10_explains_lack_of_porsches_in_forza_4.html

20. coops

coops Banned

look just send the mod to some1 in china the rip everything off no 1 takes them to court. there's your answer or just don't display any logos or names that easy.