The end of free mods?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by olex, Sep 6, 2012.

1. olex

olex Registered

2. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Don't panic :) Some car manufacturers (like Porsche or Ferrari) may be in arrangement with certain game developers giving them exclusives. Such arrangement disallows appearance of their brand in other games and therefore reaction from Porsche.

There are still a lot of racing series and car manufacturers not involved in such arrangements and until they do, they may not care too much about their cars appearing in form of free mods.

3. olex

olex Registered

Hope you are right:)
    But i think we will never see a Porsche 956 or 962 in rfactor:mad:

regards

4. RMachucaA

RMachucaA Registered

I think it might be related to automaniax and their latest endeavours, the reason why porsche is suddenly itchy about mods.

5. olex

olex Registered

Yes, but not from VLM...

1 person likes this.
  6. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Both already are in rFactor, though with varying quality.

7. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Hohoho.. if that's the case, then Porsche will be very busy with what I'm going to release for rf2 in the near future :D

8. olex

olex Registered

@jubuttib
    I´m not sure but i guess they are only bad conversions from F1c.

9. TJones

TJones Registered

They should release the mod with different car name.

Shame on you Porsche AG. :(

... and as a result, i cancelled my new Carrera S. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2012
  10. olex

olex Registered

11. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Good job Porsche and Ferrari, you got into my black list, which means no free advertising to you, no any business with you and certainly will not recommend any of your products (including any wheels or other products having their name in it) to anyone.

Any other car makers willing to burn their free marketing with such stuff?

Such short sighted business is just incredible at this date, but they have right to do that as well large group of people have right to put their products on black list.

12. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

No, we won't. We will not get licensed version and considering what just happened I doubt modders will spend their time on any Porsche mod knowing that they may be disallowed to release it.

Porsche and Ferrari will be just fine. Wheels and products with their logo will still be sold - for example to NFS, Grid, Gran Tourismo, Forza or Codemasters F1 series fans, even if all simracers will curse them.

Business nowadays is less about satisfying a customer and more about leaving customer with no choice.

Here's a nice definition of marketing I heard once: "Marketing is making people buy things they don't need, for money they don't have, so they can impress people they don't like." ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  13. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Of course they will be, but if everyone will just accept that crap as most do today without thinking any more, then companies can do even more freely like they wish as sadly is state today, muppets will just run to shop and buy anything as long as it has word new in it, however even I can't make any difference at least I'm making my point clear that I will not accept way they run things, maybe some day there will be others too, it goes in cycles anyway, at some other time there might be less muppets and more of those that care to think bit more instead of reacting, it will not happen if everyone just accepts how things are and are not making their own decisions.

I don't really think it is people's fault, more of education's fault that people are impulsive and not thinking much ahead or not thinking at all these days, it is today's way of course, but only things set to stone are those that oneself writes to stone, but because education etc. most of us are lead to believe things around us are like they are and nothing can't be changed, while it is actually quite opposite, it only would require majority to realize this, but it would cause some issues of course so we are taught way of thinking that results individuals that are constantly buying more and thinking less.

Then there are some outcasts like myself that refuse to accept common ways and seek out how things really work, bastards like me then refuse to keep economy running by making choices ignoring marketing all together, scary bunch of people really as they can't be even controlled easily, I'm afraid that soon me and others not fitting 'in' are declared outlaws or fugitives as laws progress further to support companies and this shopping madness.

There just is always so much more behind everything than what it seems at first look.

3 people like this.
  14. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Thank you!
    More and more people are beginning to educate themselves nowadays. Thanks to Google and such. Many governments or should I say the companies that pay them, are much afraid of Google because of that.

15. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

situation sure makes my nerves steam as this doesnt have any commercial value, on the contrary its free advertising for the constructors :mad:

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Just make a slight alt to the cars, different livery , diferent name .....problem solved ! (-;

17. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Then these turn into complete another cars :(

18. coops

coops Banned

yes it is: and if i owned a company in the AUTO INDUSTRY this would be a great place for free advertising. eg: cars, tracks or merchandise.

19. martymoose

martymoose Registered

I see it as free advertising for them and their sponsors and would be more upset if the car was not a proper likeness and paid sponsors were changed on the livery.

But as many have said its not usually the car manufacturers or team sponsors complaining about free mods. Its those that have paid for exclusive licences for the car and mostly inferior games, they dont want their games shown up by a bunch of modders that do it for free and do a much better job then they do at considerable costs.

I think they would do themselves more good making sure they produce a product at a level worthy of people spending money on their game rather then try and shut down any competition. However when this does happen many people just end up stealing their work so they cant win that battle either way lol.

20. osella

osella Registered

Makes sense, Porsche AG itself might not care, but some arcade racing company knocked on porsches door and told them to stop competition to their games, which will be financially better both for them and Porsche in the end..?