Racing etiquette - public servers **suggestions to ISI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sir Stumpy, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Sir Stumpy

Sir Stumpy Registered

Hi everyone,

This has been raised previously, but i became so frustrated today I want to bring some suggestions to the table.

Briefly, I had spent 30 minutes in a practice session, knocking 3 seconds of my PB for Mills Inner loop, so come race i was looking forward to seeings how i fared, having now closed the gap between myself and the quickest car from 5 to 2 seconds.

At the green light, the car in the grid spot in front had a bad start, I went half a car length ahead of him and then i noticed he relentlessly moved over to my right and rammed me off the track (not sure if accidentally through not knowing i was there or on purpose?). Up and down the grid, similar stuff had happened to point where a safety car came out....this is an all to common occurrence on every race I been in.

This brings me to point 2, some 'less killed drivers' decided that safety car means slow mo dodgems and i nearly got spun out by one of these 'drivers' only to be caught out a lap later where some one further up the track had gone off and drove straight back onto the track where I t-boned them. (it was on the longish stright so i had built yup speed and couldn't avoid).

30 minute of practice wasted.

Possible solutions

1) GRID STARTS

On the grid simply turn off collision detection for side swipes. if someone rakes into you from the side they should turn into a ghost car and therefore not wreck your race. Side swipes only to prevent people cheating and racing through others. If they turn to a ghost car, penalise them by locking them to second gear or something.

OR

If they are part of an accident on grid (and a way can be designed to automatically aportion blame) then they get a grid penalty next race or even start in the pits (as these problems tend to happen more towards the middle - rear of the grid, demoting to a pit start may also be a deterrent).

OR

For those without triple screen set ups, an oncreen arrow indicating where and how close the car nearest to you is, so you can more accurately judge if your about to hit someone.

2) - THE SAFETY CARE ISSUE
    I think there was a great amount of confusion about who was supposed to be behind who. It took me a while to even find the car i was supposed to be behind (yellow colour beam) - maybe cars you should be ahead of should also be colour coded beyond the neutral white so you know if you should be further up the grid or not.

This is a great game, im enjoying learning the Clio before anything else but as long as this is still a beta and the number of available servers in with people to race on is so few (36 people on line when I raced a couple hours ago and only 38 now) then i think the above should be considered for future builds.

SS

2. baked bean

baked bean Registered

There should be a 'GET OUT YA F'ING CAR THEN" option so you can teach them some racing etiquette. ;) Really though i know where your coming from, i feel your pain bro.

3. jjcook

jjcook Registered

I doubt there will be a system to deal with bad drivers and wreckers on public servers- if ISI were asking how to do that and what would work best - perhaps your ideas would be useful howver i suspect you may find many different views on the subject. Unfortunately i would not want to see any of these ideas in the sim - personal preference- yellow flags and safety cars on pubs is a bit of a joke if you ask me - i say leave the wreckers and crashees behind and keep racing - just turn the damn safety car off on pubs as it just compounds the problem

I think the same ol' solution as rf1 is going to be necessary.....join a league if you want good clean fun

Personnally i like the iracing method tho' - penalize every crash - tally points - and only let safe drivers drive with safe drivers- it also matches skill levels that way- once past the rookie stage - the races get much better and cleaner

IMO- a system like iracing is too much for isi rf2. it would be nice but i have not heard mention of it in development so have to assume its not going to come....

join a league- there are some out there already- personnally i joined ARI who have their races posted here- there were some crashes in intial races on the starts but everyone is getting better and i have only seen clean racing - some very fast drivers too so if you want a challenge they are there- if not - well you can race at the back with me - its clean there too

4. Craig Booth

Craig Booth Registered

Or ISI makes the spotter work. I've had multiple crashes because people just don't know I'm on the inside of them and turned into me as though I wasn't there, and I know it's not deliberate also.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2012
  5. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

the iRacing system definitely works very nicely. People go out of there way to not get involved in an accident just like they would in real life (for the most part - i have seen some dumb things in televised races). rFactor2 would have to implement a whole ranking system here to have that work tho ... I plan to race rFactor2 against CPU and iRacing for my serious online racing :) iRacing requires a serious commitment tho ... rfactor2 can be for some fun with AI and such.

6. BlaringFiddle5

Spotter very helpful also ... especially since it isn't easy to look to the right/left :) as it probably isn't in real racing as well i bet.

7. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

i think everyone with a single monitor setup should have the virtual mirrors on. i always have them on and i get a real good sense of whats happening on my sides with that.
    i for my part find the racing at the ISR server not all that bad. yes, there are sometimes guys (someone called "tomatos" a few minutes ago) who deliberatly crash into you, and yes, people sometimes don't see you and crash you off accidentally, but since there is no championship to be won, i don't care all that much. most of the time i had fun races at the ISR server.
    Only thing that annoys me there is racing at Monaco :D a few minutes ago everyone pushed it so hard there, they all crashed so i won with my carefull laps, which were nearly 2 seconds slower than the fastest lap :p

8. BlaringFiddle5

slow and steady FTW - you have to finish the race mostly incident free to win :) great job!

9. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Let's also remember that the spotter still isn't working (properly). When that gets fully implemented, it should help out quite a bit as well.

10. F1lover

F1lover Registered

Or.. race in private leagues only.. at least you race with guys that you are familiar with racing against..

Public servers are full of guys that have "no" care for testing, they just jump right in a server and race like they know the car...

I agree with the previous poster comment regarding iRacing.. they are very stringent on that type of behaviour.

11. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

You must have messages turned off because the message board tells me what car to be behind.... and it reminds me over and over again when I stray too far away from the car I should be following. Since it tells you the name of the driver, just turn on driver names and problem solved.

Message board + turn on player names = you always know who to be behind.

As far as etiquette goes, not everyone's is the same.

My etiquette says if I knock someone off track, I stop and wait for them to get back on track (if they can) before going on.

Not everyone agrees with that.

You really can't and shouldn't expect any kind of etiquette on public servers. Race with people you know. Find some club races. Join a league :)

1 person likes this.
  12. Sir Stumpy

Sir Stumpy Registered

I think I will join a league, I will give ARI a go as jjcook recommended. I also agree with what you do in waiting for others to come past if you have caused them to come off. I know the setting your on about with names, problem is i play on my TV, 3 meters away and cant read the names above the cars. Cant play on my onitor as my T500 would destroy by PC Desk!

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Noooo

If someone knocks someone it should be a knock & damage if it's hard enough just as in real world

I don't expect much from general public servers, a good private league is where it all will be ( when they happen )

14. coops

coops Banned

+1