Force feedback is incredibly harsh on logitech g27!

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Kinsman, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Kinsman

Kinsman Registered

Hey chaps,

I had a poke around and couldn't see a post for this anywhere, and I think this is probably the right place to put it...

At the moment, as much as I love rFactor 2, I daren't play it much in case it totally destroys the force feedback mechanism inside my beloved G27 racing wheel.

I spoke briefly with someone from ISI before about this, and they said that it was because that they were still writing/developing the force feedback for the G27, and that they themselves weren't happy with it. I suggested taking a look at the 'RealFeel' plugin from rFactor 1, which was an excellent addition and the author should be very proud...

The force feedback system in rFactor 1 was ok - It didn't wrench the wheel from my hands whenever I so much as LOOKED at a kerb... HOWEVER, as previously mentioned, this was with the RealFeel plugin, but even without that, it was much better.

The settings for FFB are too primitive in rFactor 2 -- Perhaps more detail could be added in this area ie. Perhaps allow the user to configure how the FFB reacts to certain influences such as wheel weight, centre spring, how the wheel reacts to a collision with an object eg. another car or wall, how the car reacts over surface bumps on track, how it reacts to kerbing, how it reacts to gravel/grass and so on.

I love rFactor, and I want to love rFactor 2 just as much but as I say - I daren't touch it in case cogs fly out from the casing of my G27. They're not cheap, as you probably know!

EDIT: I must add that the problems are experienced on even low levels of FFB eg. 0.35 -- The problem is by the time that you've toned the FFB down enough for it not to destroy the wheel on kerbing, there's absolutely no sensation at all anywhere else!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

3. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php?t=1645
    G25/27 horrendous rattling

4. Kinsman

Kinsman Registered

Wow.

My first post and I pretty much have my head bitten off for it.

All I'm going to say is if there are so many posts for it, then why the hell aren't they in the right place?

And I think I'm the only one who as actually commented constructively. All everyone else seems to have done is moan about it, then someone else chimes in with 'me too' which is far from helpful.

I've done beta testing professionally, and you have to propose ideas as to a solution rather than moan about problems.

5. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

6. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

hehe...beat me to it nikos...although i'm personally lovin the FFB...don't know what everybody is bitching about.

7. Kinsman

Kinsman Registered

ANYWAY.

Today I spent most of the day re-configuring rFactor 2's force feedback setup.

I think I've found a good compromise between feeling how the car handles and having your wheel explode or your arms ripped out.

I made two files:

KINSMAN'S FEEL THE FORCE (C) Feedback Settings for G25/G27 - LIGHT
    http://www.mediafire.com/?g9h5b0ecdphqafq

KINSMAN'S FEEL THE FORCE (C) Feedback Settings for G25/G27 - MEDIUM
    http://www.mediafire.com/?r6y5o8ye3z0bylx

Now I'm not going to FORCE FEEDBACK (excuse the pun) but of course I would appreciate some if anyone has anything to add/offer.

Please note that each file requires a different recommended in-game force feedback setting to work as desired.

Good luck with it and I hope it works well for you.

1 person likes this.
  8. dandar

dandar Registered

Every wheel on the market is just unique. My G27 have shifting leds and the most confortable H gearbox with 7 gears on the market.
    And for my taste, the wheels that looks like a PS3 game pad are not my style.

9. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

But the T500RS feels so good!!

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

11. Kinsman

Kinsman Registered

Many thanks Tim,

Slightly bemused however as to why these posts are everywhere EXCEPT for in the controller thread.

In hindsight I seem to have overlooked other places it could have been, but as I say - I would have thought they'd be in here.

I'll continue to work on these config files - hopefully they will help someone and if they do, I consider my work a success. As I mentioned previously -- I did beta testing work for Lionhead Studios amongst other places, working on some titles that never made it to release, as well as other titles that did, eg. Fable. I always try to contribute rather than criticize, so I'll keep working on it and hope that it helps someone.

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Who bit your head off ? lol

Post you 5 links for help, nice response. lol :)

...and Hell has nothing to do with it.

1 person likes this.
  13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It is in the FAQ. This forum is for people posting about issues they find which are bugs, the 'bug' you found was already known and answered. But it is no problem. And if someone annoyed you, just ignore that feeling. Forums are forums. :)