BSOD (CPU-Overheating) in Massive Multiplayer Races

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Mad277, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Mad277

Mad277 Registered

When I play Multiplayer with a huge number of drivers (15 + ), I'll get a BSOD after a short time. It's various.
    My Error Code is 0x124 and I made experience with this code. Everytime I got it, it was CPU overheating as I found out.
    Then I bought a new better cooler, which dealed with it, but rF2 is the only program, which makes it appear.

My CPU is Intel i7 2600k at 4.3ghz at full clock.
    GPU is NVidia Geforce 570 GT SOC (Gygabyte).

Because the whole system freezes, I can get the information of the temperature with 83°C .
    After the first time it arrives, I optimized my cooling options, but it doesn't help.

If you have any questions, you can ask me.

Yours

Mad

2. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

I don't think 83°C is critical temperature - yes it is high but it should still work at that temp. Maybe the problem lies elsewhere.
    Still I would try to run everything (CPU, memory, GPU) at default speeds if you are overclocking.

3. Neuro

Neuro Registered

Well, overclocking a system never means that its stable with every program. Maybe rF2 utilizes some features (and it uses a lot of resources for sure) that might not work properly when the cpu is overclocked. Did you try it without OC?

4. THracing

THracing Registered

83 C on the cpu is crazy high... Do you use the stock cooler? My old 980X (1366) never ever exceeds 61 C whatever I do with it....

5. RGrueira

RGrueira Registered

Hi, im got a seem problem. When i start rfactor, single and multiplayer session, the cpu temps up to 85, also the mother board up to high temps like 75 degrees. This high temps only happen with rFactor2. And not only happen when i driving, also on Menu. And the weird is that in the menu is when the temps reach the top high temps.

cpu i7 860 and gpu Ati 5850, MB asus p7p55d. Not overclocked. cpu stock cooler

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

High temps should be controlled by your cooling, no matter what app you are running. I think you have other issues than anything related to rF2.

7. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

Howdy Mad277,

Unless you're running "water cooling" on your CPU, running it at 4.3Gigs is begging for disaster!

It's hard to fault IsI when you're running your system out of spec.

Are you increasing bus speed or CPU multiplier to achieve the 4.3 Gigs? If you're doing it via bus speed, you're overclocking your entire system which may mean that you're causing other issues besides your CPU overheating.

Run it at the stock 3.4Gigs and see what happens. If that doesn't calm the temps down, check to see that the cooler, or cooling block in the case of water cooling, is firmly seated and that you are using a good "quality" thermal paste.

Hope this helps,

Bryan

8. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

True. But there's another side of this coin - CPU usage in rF2 is way too high.

On my system, I have both cores fully loaded because graphics is CPU-bound.

With the way rF2 rendering engine currently works, I'm not suprized people are reporting 100% CPU usage, poor performance, underperforming SLI systems or simulation falling out of realtime.

A short comparison:

CryEngine 3 can render single frame using a few hundred draw calls (In one of their videos they claimed it to be 400).

Driving solo on Malasya rF2 seems to stay within 2000 draw calls. But with 26-car grid of Formula ISI, I can end up pushing 7800 draw calls per frame - that's 20 times more than CryEngine needs. This of course means heavy CPU load just for graphics drivers to do their work.

I've recently wrote about this in a PM to Luc and Joe. Hopefully these repeating reports of heavy CPU usage will encourage you guys to work something out - this is a huge area for performance improvement.

These problems may only get worse once community starts releasing tracks and cars. VLM's Sebring can exceed 6000 draw calls when driving solo.

9. Mad277

Mad277 Registered

When I have the time to do so, I will try to set it again to 3,4. But till now, I never had problem with it and it was reliable, the last post from K Szcech gave an explanation of the problem. I didn't expect such many drawings. 400 --> 7800. So maybe I will wait, until they have improved it. There isn't much time to make changes like this. Maybe in one week, because I will go on study travel for one week now.

10. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Then you're going to wait a very long time.
    Reducing draw call requires some changes in rendering engine and content design. A big step to take and some companies don't even try. No one is saying ISI is going to change their approach although I'm hoping they will.

The reason why you thought your CPU is working reliably is probably because you never used it at 100%. Now you see what happens when you do :)