Get mod - not download bits you have

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Maxcat, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Maxcat

Maxcat Registered

I made a vmod that included two third party track and loaded it up on a server.. What I don't like is that the entire mod is downloaded via 'get mod' even if you already have the components installed. In my case is was a 200mb download and I already had all the componens except for the vmod.

Would it be possible in future upgrades to have the vmod check to see if you have any or all of the components are already installed, and only download and install the bits the driver does not have. This would allow drivers to avoid downloading the same components multiple times

2. RGrueira

RGrueira Registered

when you are packaging the mod, in the last window, unmark the components. Then you will see that is 1mb file.

mark components= will included in the file
    Unmark components= not be included

3. Maxcat

Maxcat Registered

I realise you can either include the components or not in the vmod. My request is in realation to where a driver already has a components installed, and if it is included in the vmod, its gets downloaded again. It would be ideal if the server queried which parts the driver has, and only downloads the bits that are not already installed.

4. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

I think you are talking about a mod, not a vmod. Vmod doesn't have any contents, just references and in that case it works like you expect. But mod is a package that is what it is and probably can't be partially downloaded.

5. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

I believe you can create files that both point to existing components (without adding them to the download) and have new components in it as well

However, the OP was asking if it was possible that it is checked BEFORE downloading wether or not the downloader allready has the component or not. In other words, Include all files in the vmod, but the downloader won't download the components that are allready found on his rF2 ;)

6. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Yes you can include references and also new components. But as soon as you include any component I consider that as a mod - not a vmod anymore. The point is you can only download the whole (v)mod. Depending on packaging system it might not be possible to partially download a (v)mod but I guess only ISI can answer that.

7. Maxcat

Maxcat Registered

Yes this is what I meant....