Curved screens DIY

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1959nikos, Aug 20, 2012.

1. modmate

modmate Registered

I never said i go for plexi, that was someone else. I follow remco`s idea nearly complete.
    I got a mdf board and it just need a good primer and then paint it ,nothing more. I would also prefer a more grey tone and not white cause it can look washed out. With some more ambient light,a light grey is the best way to go i guess.
    Also i would not use a spraycan todo it, to "roll" it is way better cause you get the way better colours.

2. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Plain MDF is especially absorbing, Im not sure if liquid primer is the case here.
    Rolling will give you pimbles (perhaps you want them?), or, you know how to do it properly which is hard, it takes two people to do it.
    But I suppose you know what you are doing.

Anyway, please post image on screen when you finish, Im very interested in h6500 quality of image.

3. modmate

modmate Registered

If you use a Solvent-based primer you avoid those grain on the surface, that just happens with water-based products causing the wood fibres to swell when they absorb water. If its properly sealed then i go for a latex paint or maybe the better way with a oil based paint . I do also prep the edges with a drywall compound just incase.:)

4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

sounds good, post results :)

5. g7usl

g7usl Registered

For starters, the REX steering wheel will set you back a cool £2000 to say nothing on curved screen technology which is the same comparable prices.

6. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Hey Dave, I can do a dome for 1000pounds, my g25 is enough for me :)
    (take a look at posts above, the most expensive thing is a projector which is 800pounds?)

(yould be amazed what a dome can do for FSX!!!)

(for my f16 that is !!!)

7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Don't own it, but would love to try FSX and a dome with a projector setup and TrackIR :)

8. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

You dont need TrackIR with a dome.
    Just look around you :)

9. CoNa

CoNa Registered

All you need to know regarding goopaint.
    http://www.goosystemsglobal.com/

10. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

hey, thats great info, thanks :)

11. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

While searching for appropriate software for warping image on curved screens, I was lucky to get on this
    https://www.wsgf.org/forum/14552/nthusim-vs-warpalizer

looks like there are at least three commercial companies for image warping and most popular of these, nthusim, offers a demo, which you can use to set up your image, with no cost at all! (friendly support as well at their forum)

EDIT Im not too sure of the above. You can do the setup and try demo, but it has limited durance, after which I suppose youll have to pay/activate.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2012
  12. Hazi

Hazi Registered

13. Opulence

Opulence Registered

I am currently building one of these things, I made the curved section out of Masonite wood (it's really not wood, but it looks like wood and it bends really easy). Built a frame out of wood and then made a 10 m long curved screen with a white cloth I bought at quilt store (a place that sells stuff for knitting/sewing).

Use 3 1920/1080 projectors, 2 for each side one for the middle with warping software.

Unfortunately it's all in pieces right now since I am redoing the area after a mini flood.

14. 2tyred

2tyred Registered

Does the warping software just warp the default image from RF2 to make it look 'correct'?
    Or does it actually hook into the renderer and properly output cylindrical rendering?

If it's the former, then you would be far better off making a 3 projector screen setup and using multi-view.
    If it's the latter then obviously that is much improved!

RF pro apparently does the latter natively. I'm guessing you get some external warp and blend software included, but I guess Tim or someone would have to clarify.

From what i can understand there are a few of these solutions that hook into directx and opengl apis (specific to versions, some dx9, others 10 & 11 for example) to do the rendering properly.

Basically, what i am trying to say, that the game itself needs to be RENDERED for curved screens, rather than a single rectilinear projection output being warped to try and make it look "straight" on a curved screen.
    If it's just a single rectilinear output being warped then you are better off with 3 angled rectilinear screens as that goes some way to approximate curved screen RENDERING rather than just warping a standard output.

Ironically, in terms of actually rendering for curved screens, the only stuff i have seen about it online is basically making multiple angled viewports and stitching them together. This isn't actually proper curved screen rendering, but is basically an extension of the 3 angled screen concept (though more viewports = better approximation). I am not sure if directx or opengl can do curved or spherical rendering from the impression i got from people posting about it.

Hope this makes some sense at least. I'm not sure which method a lot of this software does, as they all seem to be very light on detail and hesitant to state it clearly. This would make me hesitant to be honest!

This page seems to imply that these solutions don't do it the right way :( http://www.outerra.com/forum/index.php?topic=527.0
    Mind you this suggests cubemaps, which is again not proper cylindrical or spherical rendering :/

LFS apparently does spherical (or at least cylindrical) rendering, but i'm not sure the method it uses. Since it is natively supported, i would hope that it does it properly! Certainly it is one of your best bets to have a look at..
    Maybe the flight sim community has more information about this kind of thing too?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2013
  15. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Ive seen it work in many videos, but anyway I have decided to wait for Occulus Rift consumer version than go to all this expence ;)

16. Helldriver

Helldriver Registered

This one looks really nice:

17. lolantana

lolantana Registered

I got a Optoma UHD60 4k projector recently, I never measured the distance but I would say about 2 or 2.5m away.
    I tried the nthusim software and it is the one for single projectors which is very good, and does not have an FPS cost as far as I can see. The latest version (3.1) gave me a buggy mouse cursor but the 3.0 version works perfectly. Maybe you can refer to other reviews on 4k projectors to get the features of them.