Track ir + stuttering

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jaykinch, Aug 20, 2012.

1. jaykinch

jaykinch Registered

Hi all,
    Im not sure what part of the forum to post this in,so this looks like the place lol

I've just got myself track ir and liking it in most games but RF2

In RF2 i just a stutter when looking around the frame rate is at a solid 50-60 fps with no drop
    but as soon as i move my head its like the head movement is not smooth atall
    not sure if its my end or what but my other games seem fine (arma 2, dcs a10, bs2)

anyone got any ideas
    Cheers
    Jay

i5
    12 gig ram
    27 inch 3d vision
    gtx 550

2. oldschool1478

oldschool1478 Registered

It may be your driving profile.
    You can try mine if you like.
    Unzip to your TrackIr profiles folder.
    Also, do not use the real head plugin with TrackIr.

3. jaykinch

jaykinch Registered

Hi cheers for the file
    but it never made any change but cheers anyhow i will be using the file still lol

but the stutter is still there
    its like every angle has its own view had tracker ir is just putting them together
    i've tried most graffix settings and none ive found seem to make a diffrence

P.S whats the real head plugin? silly question but is it in game already?
    Cheers
    Jay

4. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I was using Real head plugin with FT and can say it is good combination. For sure I wouldn't deny it.

It's 3rd party plugin released for rf2 as well as rf1. Check http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/3743-Real-Head-Motion-Plugin-1-0 for rf2 version

5. Jeepy

Jeepy Registered

Hi !
    Same problem here.
    Using Vsync everything runs smooth like a charm, but as soon as I move my head the image is kind of stuttering.
    Other games run fine (iRacing, flight simulators).
    Problem exists from first time TrackIR was introduced.

Win 7 64 bits
    i7 950
    GTX580
    12 Gb RAM

6. j haulass

j haulass Registered

Same problem here,

The movement from trackir is almost in steps and not fluid at all, even though the framerate is high.

7. oldschool1478

oldschool1478 Registered

TrackIr runs smooth as silk for me in rFactor2. I don't use Vsync.
    Did you try adjusting the smoothing slider in tir program?
    Always start TrackIr before starting the game.
    Make sure there are no lights or bright windows behind your seat.
    I sometimes have issues with reflections on my glasses, from a window behind my monitor.
    Closing the blinds solves that.

8. Jeepy

Jeepy Registered

Thank you for trying to help, but the problem isn't there.
    I know the issues with glasses or windows, already tried different smoothness settings.
    As said before, this behavior doesn't appear in other games even with the same TrackIR profile for all.
    The scrolling is like steps, Vsync activated or not.
    I'll try to make a video of the problem or maybe someone else ?

9. Jason Kinchington

Jason Kinchington Registered

Yeah I've tried alsorts now I'm wondering if the view is trying to flick back to the centre each time u move?
    The game is still more than playable but it just annoys a little cheers

Is there any files in rfactor I can delete or change to see if any change, like I've done before with the steering wheel settings

Cheers
    Jay

10. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Is the trackIR plugged into a USB port on you computer or a USB hub? If plugged into a non-powered USB hub you can have that problem.

Natural Point has always suggested having frame rate unlimited for smoothest action. (I do limit frame rate in FSX and haven't had problems).

Have you tried different Synch options? I have had smoother frame rates using GPU option for Sync.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2012
  11. Jason Kinchington

Jason Kinchington Registered

Hi yeah I've tried all the sync modes but it's still there I have got my track ir plugged into a powered hub but when I get back home tonight I will try it straight into the pc fingers crossed will let u know the outcome

Cheers
    Jay

Ps: when I use gpu for sync I lose about 10-20 fps what is ok till the start of a race lol I've got the 550 or 570 gtx can't remember what one lol

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2012
  12. Jeepy

Jeepy Registered

Tried with USB port on computer (was plugged into monitor USB port) and tried with GPU option for Vsync but the problem is still there.
    I made a little video that shows the issue but because of youtube/dailymotion/vimeo compression algorithm you don't see the difference between fluid and not fluid.
    I should upload the original video somewhere that you can download it, but where ?

13. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

If I remember correctly, smoothing (up to a point) helps, but once you put in too much smoothing, you start to get stuttering. If you increased smoothing, try the opposite direction (less). More smoothing requires more GPU processing.

14. Jeepy

Jeepy Registered

I did quick tests with the GPU setting for the Vsync option and I must say that it gives a better result. It seemed almost perfect now, just a little stuttering but nothing really disturbing. Thank you for the tip Jim !

Here you can download the video that shows the issue (right clic, save file as): https://dl.dropbox.com/u/99927130/rF2 TrackIR.wmv

15. Jeepy

Jeepy Registered

Well, that was me alone on the track... With other cars around me, I have a huge drop of fps with the "GPU" setting (from 60 down to 45 on the grid with 20 cars). If I want to keep the 60 fps for Vsync, I have to set the rF2 Vsync setting to "None" and the nVidia driver setting to "Adaptive" and then it runs smooth again.
    The issue with TrackIR is still there...

16. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I'm out of ideas. I'm sure the answer is simple. (it has to be or more would be posting similar problem.)
    I'm not having a slow down from using tIR, so I have no reference points to go by.

If by chance you have trackIR 4, you can try the version 5 drivers. That's the way I run mine.
    It just seems you must have one of two problems. Either graphics card is too stressed or something is running in the background.

Don't forget, rF2 is yet to be optimized, so you may not necessarily be able to run maxed graphics yet and run tIR at the same time just as you do with other titles that have been around for awhile.

17. Jeepy

Jeepy Registered

Well, we are at least 3 in this topic.
    But I'm not sure that a lot of people would notice this issue if they had it.
    I remember when I tried to have good fps with FSX, and saw people on forums saying that they found the Graal, having FSX running at 20 fps and so smooth... How can it be smooth with 20 fps ? For some people it is.
    I'm almost sure that we're more than 3 with this issue, but people just don't notice it, or are not disturbed by it.

18. joker68

joker68 Registered

Same problem, trackir isn't smooth in rF2. In fact, I've abandoned rF2 for a good amount of time, because it's a stutter fest. Next week I'll get a new rig, and then we'll see. Currently on a Q6600@3Ghz+HD6870. Moving to an i5 3570K.
    Cheers.

19. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I'm running a GTX 460 (i gig mem)with a Q6600@2.4Ghz, no hdr most settings on med to high with shadows low, GPU synch.

I generally get one stutter usually just as i'm getting out of pit zone on most tracks. I haven't touched nVidia control panel.

Win 7 64 bit.