Unraveling rFactor 2: Installing, Uninstalling, Reinstalling, and Updating

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by guod, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

It may not be exactly true, but this is way better than the installation guide from ISI; if it was the same, this would be a double post and would not have been made sticky.

I think you get my drift a bit, right? ;)

2. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Yes, your "drift" is that ISI's guide isn't as good as the SimHQ's guide.

Maybe.

But you are forgetting that ISI is not actively marketing rF2 right now. I'm sure if rF2 was released, they would have an extensive guide.

I also think that they assume if you sign up for beta testing, then you know your way around a computer. The installation is very simple and straightforward. A guide really shouldn't be necessary ;)

3. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I think that is not exactly true, I don't want to get into a fight with you because you know more about all this stuff than I do and you gave me some nice pointers along the way here, so I respect you for that, but I have to -partially- disagree.

I don't hook up wanting to betatest and having a decent knowledge of computers really; some guys are just a big fan of the game and want to help out fixing the bugs; you shouldn't need to have a Harvard degree for that; just play the game.
    Also; the installation is pretty simple, that is true, but there are a LOT of guys here on the forum still having problems with it (due to own fault or not, but they need guidance) and some thing are or were not in the guideline from ISI. (The star to let you there is an update of the package for instance.)
    And if there is a problem with installing, you get nowhere without the help of the community.

So, if ISI is marketing or not; a bit more guidance for installing and being able to play for those of us who are not in the computer- and gaming world 24/7 but do "pay to help out", would suit ISI I think.

4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Pointless discussion Wim imho.
    I too needed badly a manual and it was explained to me that, its not going to come till game comes to gold.
    A lot of people have problems about installing, at the same time tons of people come forward and help those that cannot.
    You are a prime example of the situation, so many people came forward to help you and you had the most incredible help from Birtwell too.
    So I would just say a big thanks to all, than trying to find where to throw the blame.

5. Navigator

Navigator Registered

This is just a personal attack Nikos.

I did say thanks to all those who helped me or didn't I?? So you might want to take that back.
    The other thing is, there IS help here, but it is strange in my opinion that the best help, is not coming from ISI.......
    And Bryan Birtwell; well, I just can't thank him enough, really, what he did for me was just fantastic and I am utterly grateful!!

So; I was NOT throwing the blame (at ISI) and DID thank all those who helped me; please stop making up conclusions.

Just saying; the BEST help, is not coming from ISI; that's not blaming, that's a fact.

EDIT: altered my post a bit, even though I'm filled up with morphine again, I understand I may have said a thing that "wasn't going to make it better" (did not call names though).......peace ;)
    Nikos; I still think you're great and helped me out a lot too, but I really don't understand what's playing.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2012
  6. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Regardless of who creates a game, the community is usually the ones that help the most when it comes to getting things working right. The reason is that the community has more time to devote to this, and isn't worried about deadlines etc. There are truly some helpful people out there and my hope is that they along with myself continue to do so :)

7. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

You should not find it strange. The quote below was posted day one of release.

-Tim Wheatley

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/5304-Get-Started-Here-(how-to-purchase-faq-etc)

8. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Guys, I'm going to be very honest here; I can't seem to understand it anymore........
    In my mind; I think I'm right, but if so much of you guys say the other way or are against me; I must be wrong, but reading your answers, I can't seem to get it clear for myself and I just don't understand the discussion and the words written anymore.

That is because; even in my own language I can't read normally or understand things the last few days; my leg went out yesterday, I came down the stairs in an "unconventional way" and ever since.....well I have been pretty intoxicated.
    That's not an excuse, but I want to clear it out that it might be, I'm wrong and I understand that myself.

So, before I start writing up things that aren't correct (because I just don't understand very well anymore) I will stop here with arguing......you guys are probably right; I'm sorry to all of you.

9. guod

guod Registered

Easy everyone. :)

Its no problem doing it, glad to do it, and right now if ISI spends time on a guide, then that is time not spent on development. And we all want them to keep focused on that.

I will try to keep up with this page with each new build, and anyone that has suggested additions please PM or email me, or add them here and I'll add them to the reference.

Its all good. ;)

10. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Thanks guod, and love that language line :) Been through Texas a number of times and I know what you mean.

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I said it before by Gold I think a 5 year old could install and mod it.

Oh hang about they do it now. :p

12. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

You got strange answers because it's an odd discussion point.

I have no intention of wasting my time on a better guide when everything can change. The first time install guide that I wrote gets everyone up and running in a normal situation. If that normal situation doesn't work right, they are going to need more info than is in either guide.

I'm not going to explain again why the "best help" might not be coming from ISI. I think there is plenty of information posted about that already, and I really don't want any devs wasting their time explaining how to workaround a bug they have fixed for the next update. Like it or not, you are along for the ride here, you're not driving it. Your access to rFactor2 right now, is to a test version with no promise of documentation or even of support here in the forums. When testing is complete, and you get access to the product you actually purchased, then I think you should be upset if those things don't happen.

13. Navigator

Navigator Registered

@ Tim;

So........

Also, the post you quoted, I was a bit upset for someone telling me that I was not thankful to those in the community that helped me out. You can think of me what you want and say I'm wrong all you want, but THAT is not the case and you can't say that without lying.
    Strange you quoted just that post where I had to defend myself against lies and after I said I can't write or understand properly because of the morphine.
    I'm also right now, so I quit writing here, can't defend myself properly and all comes out wrong probably.

14. 88mphTim

You seem to be really upset, but really, there was nothing to argue about. Nothing to be upset about. I don't know the effects of Morphine when on it, I've seen people dying using it, but in your case I think it might be making you 'roid rage', if that makes sense? Nobody has a problem with you, ok? Just try to relax. :)

15. MS7XWDC

MS7XWDC Registered

i always install a new build this way:

Windows 7, by the way

1. rename my C:\Users\MS7XWDC\Documents\rFactor2 folder to 101_rFactor2 [so i can refer to previous files & keep all of my packages]
    2. make a backup of that folder
    3. make a backup of my C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\Plugins folder
    4. uninstall rf2
    5. delete the C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2 folder
    6. install new build
    7. copy packages folder content
    8. install all packages via 'configure sim' feature

16. MKD

MKD Registered

I dont know about easy... I have never had issues with installs EXCEPT in this game...
    I cannot seem to get things to work... All these things rf2 reports as missing are there..
    And as far as updating on servers it never seems to work, "mills metro" frequently being the issue..
    I understand it is beta..
    I do not understand why it should need to be so complicated.. I know I messed up somewhere, and dont really have the time to keep stabbing in the dark... Anyone have an idea based on output from the launcher notes below?

Thanks in advance.. Karl
    Mod "-IsR-Clio All Tracks 1-04 1.04" references a non-existent component "MillsMetro 1.3".
    Mod "-IsR-Clio All Tracks 1-04 1.04" references a non-existent component "Renault_Clio 1.0".
    Mod "-IsR-Clio All Tracks 1-03 1.03" references a non-existent component "MillsMetro 1.3".
    Mod "-IsR-Clio All Tracks 1-03 1.03" references a non-existent component "Renault_Clio 1.0".
    Mod "-IsR-GT Endurance All Tracks 1-03 1.03" references a non-existent component "MillsMetro 1.3".
    Mod "-IsR-Megane All Tracks 1-04 1.04" references a non-existent component "MillsMetro 1.3".
    Mod "Eurosim all 010612 1.0" references a non-existent component "HistoricOpenWheels 1.0".
    Mod "Eurosim all 010612 1.0" references a non-existent component "Mugello_GP_2012 0.72".
    Mod "Eurosim All v11 1.0" references a non-existent component "Clio_PC 1.0".
    Mod "Eurosim All v11 1.0" references a non-existent component "FISI F1 style 1.0".
    Mod "Eurosim All v11 1.0" references a non-existent component "Mugello_GP_2012 0.72".
    Mod "Eurosim All v11 1.0" references a non-existent component "rFactor2 UI 1.0c".
    Mod "Eurosim All V12 1.0" references a non-existent component "Clio_PC 1.0".
    Mod "Eurosim All V12 1.0" references a non-existent component "FISI F1 style 1.0".
    Mod "Eurosim All V12 1.0" references a non-existent component "Mugello_GP_2012 0.72".
    Mod "Eurosim All V12 1.0" references a non-existent component "rFactor2 UI 1.0c".
    Mod "f3-v6-v15A 1.5" references a non-existent component "V6_TURBO 1.0".
    Mod "Formula ISI Community F1 All Tracks 1.0" references a non-existent component "FISI F1 style 1.0".
    Mod "1960s World Class Racing + All Tracks 0.7" contains an updated component "HistoricOpenWheels 1.0" no base component installed.
    Mod "1960s World Class Racing + All Tracks 0.7" references a non-existent component "HistoricOpenWheels 1.0".
    Mod "1960s World Class Racing + All Tracks 0.7" contains an updated component "HistoricTalent 1.0" no base component installed.
    Mod "1960s World Class Racing + All Tracks 0.7" references a non-existent component "HistoricTalent 1.0".
    Mod "1960s World Class Racing + All Tracks 0.7" references a non-existent component "Malaysia 1.1".
    Mod "1960s World Class Racing + All Tracks 0.7" references a non-existent component "MillsMetro 1.1".
    Mod "1960s World Class Racing + All Tracks 0.7" references a non-existent component "Portugal 1.1".
    Mod "Senna88 build 101 FFB fixed hopefully 3.0" references a non-existent component "MillsMetro 1.3".
    Mod "SRPL_ClioCup 1.0" references a non-existent component "MillsMetro 1.3".
    Mod "SRPL_ClioCup 1.0" references a non-existent component "Renault_Clio 1.0".
    Mod "SRTrainer 1.0" references a non-existent component "18L16VEngine 1.0".
    Mod "SRTrainer 1.0" references a non-existent component "rFTrainer 1.0".
    Mod "SRTrainer 1.0" references a non-existent component "rTrainer_Talent 1.0".
    Mod "SRTrainer 1.0" references a non-existent component "rTrainer_Vehicle 1.0".
    Mod "-IsR-Clio All Tracks 1.0" failed to verify, removed from inventory
    Mod "Renault Clio Cup 1.0" failed to verify, removed from inventory
    Mod "Senna 1988 final 2.0" failed to verify, removed from inventory

1 person likes this.
  17. Navigator

Navigator Registered

18. 88mphTim

It looks to me like all the ISI content is working fine. What isn't working for you there are the addon mods which references a particular version only, or a component you don't have installed.

19. MKD

MKD Registered

I dont think because it is not ISI , and not working that that is acceptable. I really dont have a clue to how everything all works but seems to me, if it all worked like it SHOULD there should be no issues..

Currently I cannot race any online events.. The only ones with others in them are NON ISI content apparently... Each one I hook to and say update mod FAILS.. all because of CLIO related content (isi or not to me does not matter). What I cannot understand is if it fails to update mod based on missing content, why doesn't it just install the missing content.. It cannot be too hard.. It detects exactly what is wrong.. Just dismissing it as non ISI content to me is like shooting yourself in the foot.. I realize fully the BETA status, and appreciate that.. I hope this way of installing gets improved to be more co-operative and user friendly.with ALL content, not just ISI. At this point it's really aggravating and for someone with not alot of time nearly impossible.. Users like CLICK AND GO,, not click and debug.. If everytime I want to race becomes a pain in the arse, well, I will go fly a kite... LOL

20. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

If you want to fly a kite, please fly a kite.
    If you want to race online, what I propose is this:

1)Uninstall RF2 and reboot.

2)Delete RF2 folder from ProgramFiles.

3)Reinstall RF2 and reboot.

4)Place all ISI content in Packages folder and activate.Reboot.Check everything is ok.

5)Download all needed tracks for non ISI mods from here
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/7103-Download-All-locations-(torrent)
    in one neat package

6)Place them into Packages folder (you can scip Brianza as you should have it at 4) and activate all .

7)Download fresh Mauro's mod (as its most commonly used) from here
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/4739-1960s-World-Class-Racing-All-Tracks-vMod
    place at Packages folder and install.

8)You can get rest of mods at appropriate server from GetMod since you have all tracks needed.

If you dont succeed with this, either you havent activated properly,(so you should ask how to) or, your pc has a problem.