[REL] [Open Beta v0.3] Classic Cars Mod

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Petros Mak, Aug 14, 2012.

1. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

I'm convinced. Sounds like you guys know what you're doing. I'll bet this mod will be great. Thanks for your work.

2. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

OK that is excellent news indeed then. Thank you for the clarification.

3. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I'm glad more people share this opinion!

4. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Ive 20+ plus years driving experience and can honestly say that no car in rfactor 2 is like driving on ice in the slightest. Do you think rf2 cars are like driving on ice petros mak? if so which cars?

5. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

So I'm confused BB, Were is that Petros has said any car in rF2 "is" like driving on ice?

6. Yarach

Yarach Registered

He never said that.

Quote: "I too am tired of people's delusions of thinking every single racing game and race car needs to feel like its on ice. Anyone who has driven a racing car, let alone a real car, knows that icy feeling is not realistic."

7. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Do you mean racing experience ?
    which racing category?

8. baked bean

baked bean Registered

I know he never said that, im just asking him his opinion, what he thinks of the handling of rf2 vehicles. :)

9. baked bean

baked bean Registered

driving experience i said :)

10. Yarach

Yarach Registered

ahhhhh.... In that case... Sorry for my misunderstanding.

11. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

I don't think any of the cars in rF2 are like driving on ice. I also don't feel that they are as perfect as they could be physics wise, but that is more my personal opinion rather than actual knowledge. I do however enjoy the cars in rF2 and that enjoyment allows me to negate some of the shortcomings I feel the cars have in the physics area now that I've taken a moment to think about it. I hadn't really thought about it before because I've enjoyed the cars in rF2.

One of the things I was mainly referring to is that many people like cars that feel like they are on ice. I remember back when we released our F1 2007 mod, people complained that the cars were too easy to drive and had too much grip. A great deal of people wanted more icy feeling physics in the mod which I didn't agree with and didn't change in the mod simply because the consensus within the group was that we should follow the data and info we had rather then people wanting icy unrealistic physics.

F1 cars for example develop so much downforce that at a certain speed upwards, they could run upside down (if they had an engine capable of running upside down and a driver crazy enough to try it). But such is the theory. I find many people have become delusioned with game physics from their favorite games that they believe the real cars handle like those games. I can understand enjoying fun physics. I love Race Driver GRID which is still one of my favorite games for fun factor, but no car in real life feels anything like those, but you'll have some avid GRID fan fight you tooth and nail that the simulation should be like that.

We should NEVER confuse fun and realism. We either have one or the other and I only support realism when working on a sim-racing game. Fun can be left to EA Games and Codemasters who have no concept of what simulation stands for, though having said that, their target audience is very different to this one.

As to which cars I think in rF2 could be better? I think the modern open wheel series cars should be fixed a tad bit. The Formula ISI, the Formula Renault's and the Formula 2. The one thing I find annoying is when you spin at low speed and the car just continues to move and spin around and there is just very little to no correction. There has been times I've spun a car at like 20kmh. That is not right. I believe this could be an inertia or some other issue in the coding but I'm not sure. We faced some similar issues with the development of the WRS prototype which ended up being inertia related so that's why I lean towards that.

I find the grip levels at low speeds a tad low and the wheel spin during acceleration a tad high. But that is me. With the files not being open like rF1, I cannot play with them to try different things and see if it fixes it for my liking.

Having said that though I would like to strictly point out that what I've said doesn't mean that my opinions are strictly the game's fault. They could be my driving style, my knowledge of the cars, and/or my belief of how the cars should handle. I do not know how they should handle but in my view they seem a bit wrong. They could be the most accurate representation if you speak to a real driver. So who knows.

I drove the F3 car we have in rF2 which we have yet to show. This car was originally made for our F3 Team clients and we'll be releasing it in rF2. Derek who worked with the team engineer's for their simulator versions did the rF2 physics and I don't think I've ever raced a car in any game that has felt so close to realism as that car. I'm quite excited about the release of that car, to me it shows what rF2 is truly capable of if the physics are done correctly. Some people put rF2 down because its a beta and what not, but what we've noticed it being capable of in the right hands with the right knowledge...gives me chills. I hope it will do the same for you all when we begin releasing these cars. :)

12. baked bean

baked bean Registered

no problemo yarach, ive faith in petros mak reading his comments he is going for as much realism as possible + he wants feed back too so he listens also :D Looking forward to this mod the most.

13. baked bean

baked bean Registered

I too enjoyed grid petros which surprised me being an arcade game, the physics where kinda believable, maybe more than GT5 which came years later. Any way your comments make me happy looking forward to trying your work, did someone say F3 :cool:

14. ADUBZ

ADUBZ Registered

Damnit Petros Y U Announce F3's... More work to do now :p

15. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

You d*** right, i hope the people who want icy cars listen to you been... you.

16. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

As promised, I stopped in this evening and took some shots of the car.
    It's almost completely apart and waiting to be fully restored.
    The uprights are out for X-ray.
    As luck would have it the guy who owns this car also owns a 787B

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ifun9zi378ovcd6/lhsUYamCqO

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2013
  17. baked bean

baked bean Registered

:confused:

18. ESP=EWE=

ESP=EWE= Registered

Thanks for the pics :)

I would like as many pictures of the 787B as he is willing to let you take of it, that way I can ensure the texture work I'm doing is 100% for the team :)

19. tjc

tjc Registered

:cool:

Nice one Saabjock. :)

20. tjc

tjc Registered

+1

:confused: