Rfactor 2 vs Iracing vs CARS- a newbs perspective

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by rss334, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Maybe he never tried pCARS. :D

2. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

These pcars sponsors are making fools of themselves, I put the gripfest FB into the top 10 at Bathurst within a handful of laps, and looking at the times, could probably get p3-4, but outside the top 10, the times really start to suck, yet the FB is easy as pie to drive.

Every time a new build comes out, some pcars numpty suggest we try this or that, but I've been trying for months and months, and it's just simcade......admittedly, it's a good simcade, just as Dirt2/3 are good simcades, but don't expect proper sim racers to ever rate pcars as a sim unless the NTM brings radical changes.

3. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Given how long they're taking, the Mini should be of the same high standard as the camaro, which IMO is the no1 tintop sim car.
    GSC is quality over quantity, but never before have I cared about the impending release of such a slow car.

4. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

It's called buzz marketing :)

We must be careful, they are everywhere :p

5. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

They've been neutralized at RDepartment.

6. FONismo

FONismo Registered

This is a good point about rF2 and proper sims in general. There is this misconception IMO of people that are deemed hardcore when it comes to sims. People that dislike stuff like pCARS like myself are instantly thought to like sims that are like ice skating. For me that is so far from the truth it's unbelievable. I like a convincing feel that to get the best from does require practise and dedication.

Take the recent Camaro in GSC2012. Now at first it can seem a little bewildering but can be driven pretty well quickly. A car like that in my mind though is designed for fun and going sideways. So when you start throwing the car around for the first say hour you will constantly bin it when trying to drift but sticking at it and not giving up like alot do rewards you with a brilliant sim car that can be held sideways on corner exit forever.

The same applys with rF2, all the cars you need to spend time with to really get the most rewarding drive from and find the limits. This is what i didn't like about pCARS, it never convinced me, it was too easy just to go out and blast times. I'm not saying it should be hard but put a real race driver in a car he is not used to racing and he will have the basic understanding of how it will work and react to input. But for him to get the best and find the limits of that said car he will have to dedicate practise time. Sims should be the same and all the best sims are the same. There should be a learning curve that does punish you and then if you stick with rewards you.

I keep reading threads comparing to NetKar, i have kept out of them as quite frankly it's a pointless argument. NKP is a finished product and also it does not have Real Road and green and rubbered tracks. This alone makes a huge difference. I can rag the nuts of most cars in rF2, the modern F1 is pretty easy, i don't get all the moaning tbh.

7. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Lol, no offence but by "people" you just mean yourself here.

8. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

A little background...

On August 10, Max tried pCARS for the very first time and wrote that it is:

http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296119

OK Max, we get that you love pCARS, but to call people liars because they don't agree is going a little far imo :)

9. Cleverleyson

Cleverleyson Registered

Step away lads........

to be fair i only played it with a joypad....was good fun....

Anyway back on track....the only problem with Iracing is the whole 12 quid a track + how many for a car...then find out no-one uses that car...Its all oval with Iracing it seems. The mx5 is always there but man waiting for a race to start can be ass, A whole hour.

But the one thing i like about Iracing is the radio, The whole Left side, still left, Clear helps a million. We should steal that....it would help with the races online in public.

I found out about rfactor 1 late and man i loved it. all those tracks and mods I came in the right time.

Rfactor 2 will be the same...some of the mod tracks are amazing. Its just a shame there isn't much choice atm. But things will come to those who wait.

PCars....well...its all gfx isn't it... I was bored after a few laps. the wheel just didn't do anything....

Rfactor will shine......Pit boards would make me happy, no sim has had those i think

GTR3 is awfully hush atm too. its the ones that are not shouting that you have to look out for. their last screenshot was in 2011.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
  10. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Oh dear i have not been on NG for a long time but see they are still closing threads as soon as people start questioning the game but leave these to run.

Best line of a post i could be bothered to finish reading.

He was asked who made him invest into pCARS

"Redi had some good things to say about pcars and there no reason why I shouldn't trust his judgement. He seems hardcore."

LOL Redi the guy that claimed SHIFT2 was realistic and defended it to death and is also an employee of SMS.

Anyway after thinking about it and after reading that drivel. This thread seems pointless really. The OP is only gonna get people that like rF2 replying and claiming it to be the superiour sim here on a ISI forum. You would be better asking on a non ISI or SMS owned forum so something like Racedepartment ( Most honest community out there ) for a more measured response. VirtualR, NoGrip and WMD all have connections to SMS and here obnviously the connection is with ISI

11. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

I find Pcars WAY WAY WAY harder to drive then RF2

Sure its more easy to do laps in general in Pcars than it is RF2 but that's not a hard skill to have with any driving game when you know how to drive in general.

The issue is when you get on the edge of the tires Pcars has simular issues as RF2 but only 100X worse and fact is Pcars tires are not even realistic before they lose grip , and ontop of that the cars physics just dont make sense from a real car piont of view with this weird under steer lock in happening all the time.

Thats what's funny with allot of these arcade games same with dirt , F1 2011 , when you get to the limmit of the tires you hit a brick wall where the car is no longer stable at all and turns to mush.

I guess the lesson is that most people don't ever drive the car to that degree most users are happy to do 3 laps without crashing , they have not evan got to the piont of knowing the racing line or thinking about waghting the car through the corners to line up the angle of the next corner , or taking less slip angle through a corner to conserve tires.

I think one of the reasons RBR tanked in sales was because the game relied 100% on feel and a driver having that awareness of the physics and car movement , many people it seems simply don't have that so as a result most games don't design for that.

SMS say they are working on new physics and the current physics are designed to run on a 360 and ps3 where as new physics would be to demanding. so we will have to hold on and see where it goes.

12. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Seriously? I happen to know that Bram is very watchful of the content of his site and anything that he doesn't agree with is altered or removed. But this has nothing to do with this topic.

As I said in another thread, with all the current sims that are in the works, I hope we get a few as that will lead to better sims and more options which should get us even more sims due to competition. Judging which is better when neither are released yet is futile as we don't know the final direction that will be taken from any of the creators until the sim goes gold.

13. FONismo

FONismo Registered

That is not what i meant. Re-read my post. RD was used as an example of a place that is not influenced by SMS or ISI or any other studio for that matter, they are totally independent. Bram is a great guy and does not censor the site. He will close threads if they get personal but everybody is free of an opinion on sims. RacesimCentral i'm sure has ties with SimRaceWay or Simbin, i forget now but RD is 100% independent. The community aswell is what i said, not Bram.

14. Magus

Magus Registered

I partly understand & agree with what you are saying & doubted myself so went & run some times using the Rookie, Caterham 300, Racer L4/V8, BAC, Formula B, Lotus 78 & 98T & Arial Atom all around Bathurst. I completely disagree when you say pCARS is harder. Out of all those cars I found the grip to be far too much on most. Time I think 'oh I've lost it' & actually I may have gone through faster. Don't get me wrong; it can be fun, but not challenging to keep the car under control at full or near full turning speed.

I completely agree with you that it is hard to judge what the tires/physics is going to do but on the whole it seems to compromise by giving you more grip in places where you really should have spun. You get no feeling of weight transfer, so for example with the trainer at croft going through the fast S, you really feel that & if the car isn't aligned you either need take foot of the gas & brake or you will be going wide & messing yourself up for the next corner or you spin out (again tire wear & track rubbering also count). Taking the Rookie down Bathurst, none of that really matters, you feel none of the weight transfer on the car really means anything (I've not fiddled with its shocks to see if that sensation come in), I would imagine the series of s curves going downhill would be a real challenge but its not.

I'll have to disagree with your statement that they are 'WAY WAY WAY harder to drive'. Correct when saying, Less realistic & therefore less predictable but no way harder as some the grip levels are way too much.

15. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

As I can't send you a pm so that we don't clog up this thread with our beliefs about other sites and their owners I will drop it here.

Suffice it to say they are not the only site out there that is honest and not biased and some are more so than RD.

16. Max Attack

Max Attack Registered

They did lie.

17. rss334

rss334 Registered

Wow , I guess everyone is right in what they believe and everyone else is wrong :) Some heated discussions here but I guess that's kinda what I expected too. It was good reading, I learned a lot I did not already know, how much of it is true I'm still not sure. Can anyone answer my questions on the first page first post at the bottom?

18. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Not sure about most of those questions, but I expect that like rF1, rF2 will have a community that wants to create mods to bring in tracks and cars. The quality will depend on the team creating them as it was in rF1. I would hope once the sim goes gold that the modders will be happy with what they see and want to create stunning mods for this sim. Only time will tell for sure.

19. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Guys, apart from rf1 pro that's used by the red bull racing f1 team, is there any other company that has produced commercial simulators with spin-offs for use by real world drivers?

The reason I ask is all this talk is inevitable inconsequential when we talk about what we "feel" is more realistic, well, at least is the case for me. Even though my opinion is that pCars feels unrealistic driving it's vehicle selection, I have never driven any of it's cars to back up my "feelings" with my very own factual experiences.

The only thing I think I can truly count on is the companies reputation in its previous and ongoing projects with the real-world of racing. That's not to say there are no underdogs, but if two products that feel to me so dissimilar, ofc only one can surely be the most accurate/correct in the context of emulating/encapsulating realistic physics. Now perhaps it's a case of confirmation bias (I'll let you decide) that my "feelings" towards the realism of rf2 is met by ISI's reputation in the real world of racing. I do not know of anything that can match this fact alone when it comes to the SMS team but please let me know if there is. It's a sincere question.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
  20. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Do you own a car?.....most sims remind me of all sorts of cars, but pcars reminds me of a marshmellow in comparison, granted it's better lately, but it feels like it's centre mounted to the road vs rf2/sims feeling like there's 4 contact points representing each wheel.

Cars like rf2 F2, Simbin C6R, RaceON US muscle Camaro, GSC 2012 Camaro, V8SC, F1 modern etc all feel like you're driving a car.
    Obviously it'd be nice to be able to drive a V8SC and compare it, but you can look at vids and see that in general terms it's doing the right thing, and being that genuine sims have more feel and better FFB, it should be obvious that digital spongey games like pcars lack the fidelity that distinguishes a sim from simcade.