Game is getting worse by the update; now unplayable.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navigator, Aug 11, 2012.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Ok you're wrong!
    Rf1 had poor AI granted but it wasn't that bad, once you got under the hood and fiddled a bit they were raceable especially with V8Factor for example, I had dime great races with that mod.

In RF2 the AI started off much better from the start, since the first beta they have been updated quite a few times and they have got a lot better and there is plenty more to come.

2. Bart S

Bart S Member

Ok I have a suggestion, I just read a post from the first page you made, it sounds like your pc is runing the game just fine but you have a bottleneck somewhere and unfortunatlely only you can find it.
    Heres my suggestion I would open up your windows task manager, CTRL ALT DELETE -> start task manager ->performance tab->click resource monitor-> CPU tab. you can monitor your cpu usage from here quite easily see which program kicks in when you get rapid fps.
    Also check memory disk and network for any large spikes. You should catch the problem.
    If thats not it then its probably your GFX driver conflict use this guide to fix problem http://www.overclock.net/t/1150443/how-to-remove-your-nvidia-gpu-drivers

Also just thought make shore you have all power saving off in your bios turn off speedstepping too

3. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

According to what I read about the guide, you get more in depth steps if you actually pay rather than the basic you get for free. The author does remark that some of the information is a little out of date but still valid for most applications, and yes it is staying a little on the "safe" side with the free version.

You are correct about the page file, as setting a min and max with the same value prevents Windows from trying to resize, saving a little bit of time for every write operation to it. I have always been of the philosophy that if you have to use the swap file you have way too little ram. :)

Most of the items that he lists are easy to do and will make some improvements on system performance if you haven't done any real tweaking before trying his advice though. Basically it's a beginners guide to system tweaking.

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

@ MarcG,

I don't want to get into a fight over this, but what I meant was, that -indeed some mods were editable if you knew what you were doing- ISI themselves, didn't do much about it; the community solved this problem mostly.
    And granted; in RF2 it was a bit better, but still way closer to RF1 then to......well, name almost any sim.
    Think you have to admit that much.

@ Bart S,
    I did that already; there's nothing there.......all is fine......

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

well you asked to be told wrong so I did ;) not fighting just stating that I believe you are wrong in your assumption, RF2s AI is far removed from RF1s already and as I said theres more to come. Trouble with AI is that it requires the track maker to make a decent AIW path just as much as ISI to make the AI base code, anyway its gonna get better of that I have no doubt. Hope you get your problems fixed, once you have then have a race against the AI proper and you'll see what I mean :)

6. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Ow, I know the AI is much better now, I agree with you.
    But in the first build, it was not that far off from RF1 in my opinion; cars driving into you no matter what (that's way less now) and the spreading of the field......well.......sometimes it's better, but lots of time's I see myself chasing or leading just one dot on the line ;)
    I didn't have to make the equation to RF2; just wanted to state my opinion about RF1 and that was; from ISI, back than, nothing much happened. RF2 is now better, agreed.

7. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Somebody mention AI? :)

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/7136-Tim-s-Tweets?p=90479&viewfull=1#post90479

8. jtbo

jtbo Registered

But put AI to drive car with soft suspension and ton of torque, not lot of rpm and vague steering, they try to correct bodyroll by turning to direction of roll, they don't seem to throw car sideways at braking when entering to corner and then do donuts, so far I haven't figured out how to adjust them to not do that as no matter how big change I do to whatever AI parameter they do the same.

I have mainly been testing at ISI tracks for this. Of course it has to be noted that I really haven't had chance to adjust AI before so despite I have read stuff related to AI I really need to learn more as I don't have very good understanding of it yet, but they seem to have great difficulty handling such car compared to your typical racecar that has practically no body roll or suspension movement or torque.

9. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

Success!!! Navigator's computer is spinning like a top!

After logging onto Navigator's computer, I found the following; there were other issues, however I thought these were his worst problems:

No swap file and 4 gigs of RAM.

A hard drive that was nearly full. [Computer HDs are bad places to store pictures anyways. : ) ]

Severely fragmented HD. Although his OS install was fairly recent, the HD was totally fragmented...
    This is almost always the case, when you "format" the HD during the OS install... It's basically "scrambling the eggs".

At my shop, we always run a good defragger after we install, or re-install an OS.

I'm glad I was able to cure most of Navigator's problems... Sorry, all I can do is pray for your back! : )

And I hope someone else will find this information helpful,

Bryan

1 person likes this.
  10. Dan AccretionRacing

Dan AccretionRacing Registered

I installed the full 1.01 over the top of the old one no update just installed it to the same folder as my old one and it is running like a dream also I am using the latest beat Driver from nVidia found here

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-304.79-beta-driver-uk.html

I tried 1st update and could not get it to update
    then I tried Full install again had problems with TMTyers on a mod
    so I copied my Working DIR and install the full installation into my WORKING DIR and it worked 1st time with no errors in my mod manager I did the same to all 3 of my servers and they all work A1
    I do not know if I was lucky as I know I am not ment to update it like that but It worked 1st time with great results on FPS and general feeling in game
    I hope this helps the reason I made a copy of my Working DIR is that if it did not work I could just delete old folder and rename my Copied Folder back to its original name good luck and Please do not loose hope things will get sorted in the long run

11. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Guys, Bryan is right; my system is running like a charm and I am VERY happy!!
    I thanks him very much for putting his time and effort in for me and being such a nice guy!

It was not a matter of a few minutes and I couldn't sit behind my system anymore, but Bryan kept on going and told me to go to bed and he would shut down; I mean......if that isn't great, then I don't know what is!!
    I was told before Bryan was a great guy and I can only say; that's totally true and more!

Sorry I didn't write down before what the issue was, was planning on that for today, as it would be a long story for me to tell and I wanted to do right by Bryan, so not just putting two or three lines in here.
    My back went down however and I spend most of the day on a cloud due to the morphine I just had to fill myself up with; can't write well like that.
    (I'm still a bit, so if I say something that sounds weird......)

Bryan, thank you very much, I wish I could describe how grateful I am, but for what you did, there are no words!! It's just awesome.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2012
  12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

As long as it is not a SSD ;) ie: It will do nothing except decrease the drives life.

However SSD do slow down after a while, the only way you will speed them up is
    a full zero write of the Hardrive which also means you need a perfect OS image backed up.

13. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

Yes DD... I don't really see any reason to defrag an SSD... Not like you have mechanical do-hickies bouncing all over the place putting files back together, when fragmented. So you don't have the same issues with them.

I was making the assumption that most people in here... Myself included, are still running good ole, regular HDs. 8*D

Sorry for that assumption.

Cya's on the track!

Bryan

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yeah I do realize you know this Bryan. :)

Was for any young whipper snapper.

But then again ......most see TrueImage or other image software as a waste of money before you begin. lol :)

15. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Heheh, I still use Ghost for my imaging. :)

Oh btw Bryan, I don't format the drive to wipe it, I use fdisk and fdisk /mbr to remove everything, then create a new partition, this works well for making sure everything is nice and tidy for a fresh start.

16. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Glad to hear you got it sorted Nav. Good job Bryan.

17. GaryL

GaryL Registered

I also have 4gb of RAM and i have never set up any swap file, doesnt win7 do that kind of stuff automatically?, i also suffer from fairly poor performance in rF2, i have a 5770 ATi card though so maybe i cant expect too much??....but on saying that i do get to see rF running almost perfect for about approx. 3mins, then like a switch being flicked!....it starts to run rough and choppy.

18. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Good job Birtwell!!!

19. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I know I shouldnt defrag my SSD, but dont understand what I have to do to speed it up :confused:

20. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

The HD 5770 is still an amazing GPU and is almost as fast as the new stuff that has come out since. I wouldn't think that would be your issue.

Windows does set up to automatically handle swap files, but it is not the best setting if you want to get the most out of your PC. Windows sets up to scale the swap file as needed, which ends up using the drive more as well as using system resources more. The best bet is to set the min and max to the same value, usually 1.5X what you have of real memory. This will tell windows not to mess with the swap file scaling and you will have plenty of swap file if needed.

As far as the sim getting choppy after 3 minutes, there must be a specific reason for this. In that amount of time you should likely have completed a lap, so all the graphics for the track should be loaded into memory. If you are using a single screen and your CPU is decent at that point things should smooth out as there is no huge disk reads anymore. The fact that your system is slowing at this point suggests that maybe there is something getting worked too hard or in small number of cases an issue with the memory on the graphics card.

What sort of temps are you seeing for your graphics card when this happens? Is your system setup to throttle the CPU? What is the CPU temp when this happens? CPU throttling can happen when it gets too warm to protect the chip.