question to ISI about the future damage system

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trollray, Aug 10, 2012.

1. trollray

trollray Registered

Hi. I just want to know your advice about the visual damage engine called BeamNG.
    I know that other post have been discussing about this but, i haven't see any participation or answer by one of ISI member ;)

1 : Is a system like that can be implemented in the future into RF2?
    The tire deformation looks like working the same way didn't? (visually)

2 : Where are you at the moment about the car damage process? Visual and internal ?

3 : Except the official licenses and other limitations like that, i've read that you plan to work on the painting scratch during contact and other
    "A new feature which may make it would be that paintwork can be scratched/ripped by contact".
    I know it's not on top priority and i understand it but, what are the technical limits of that fact?

Thanks for the reply ;)

ps : i know that a lot of people will tell that it's not important the visual damage but, we are all racing fans, and crashes are part of it. We are in respect with those modern gladiators driving at the limit but we also are excited when they go over the limit.. We just don't want injury or more. Spectacular crash and risk is part of the race and have a right place in RF2 to make it the best sim.
    (except the risks. I promise, when i crash my car, i will fall from my chair to simulate it lolll )

Cheers

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

We'll be doing (and have been doing) our own damage system. I don't see a need to implement someone elses system, and all their potential issues coming with it. We are in development of it, it's been something the car guys have worked towards with each model. The technical limits of the fact? :D

We've talked about this a lot. Nothing against crashes, nothing against a damage engine being developed, but you're going to have to wait. Driving is higher up our list.

3. hushypushy

hushypushy Registered

I've always thought a lot about advanced crashes. Just imagine at Spa, for example, your deformable car hitting deformable metal barriers which are tied into the ground with deformable wooden stakes, and all the physics required to produce certain resistance and deflection, not to mention flying pieces of cars and shards of debris that you'd have to dodge, for fear of a puncture...

...and then I snap back to reality and I remember that we haven't even properly simulated tire compounds, or fuel sloshing in tanks, or realistic FFB on a FF drivetrain, the list goes on. There's so much left on the driving side that, predictably, I can't see much time being spent on mind-blowing crash physics until A. we get much farther ahead on driving physics development and/or B. so much money gets thrown into a sim that multiple teams can put 100% effort in on both things at once.

4. jtbo

jtbo Registered

New damage model too? You are really putting effort to rF2, new engine model, new tire model, new damage model, real road, sounds to me that you are making biggest developments for single product in history of ISI?

We are living golden age of sim racing :D

5. 88mphTim

IMHO it's the biggest step the company has ever taken, yes. Well, since SCGT. Although with rF1 most of the code (written for EA in previous products) was removed and re-written, you could still trace back a similarity to every previous product.

6. Kobradelta1000

Kobradelta1000 Registered

... and "pleeeaaase"- make the clutch work as a clutch should behave; at least in terms of engage/ disengage it from the gearbox (of course with an option to deactivate it for all players who doesn´t want or haven´t a third pedal)

Thnx

7. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Can we please get a fuel explosions and fires too?

:D

[​IMG]

8. osella

osella Registered

I love to hear that driving is a priority for ISI, imo crashes and damage model in general should have really low priority right now because successful racing is about avoiding any contact at all costs, as classics say, to finish first you must first finish.
    People who crash into something/somebody twice every lap and love to watch debris shouldn't be target audience for software like this...

1 person likes this.
  9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

But to counter that argument (as I have a thousand times before lol!) RF2 is a Modding Platform, and some Modders may want a top quality damage system for their Banger Racing mod!
    Of course I agree that actual driving/physics should come first but disagree the damage model should be considered really low priority. Plus its not just the asthetics aspect of the damage model, the whole system of broken wishbones, damaged wings, suspension failures, bent steering etc etc etc that all needs to be in high detail and should also be considered much higher up the list IMO

10. osella

osella Registered

I meant mostly the graphical part of crashes, that's what deserves really low priority imo, but of course impact on car behaviour is more important because people will bump each other time to time, this is inevitable.

Of course in games like DIRT they do exact opposite of this, the cars look very realistic after heavy crashes, the way glass is broken, surface dents etc. but they still drive almost normally lol.

11. trollray

trollray Registered

Hi, first, thanks for the answer ;)

Just to be understood, i don't want to talk about priorities because it make no doubt for me that the physical reactions and realism of the sim past in first. You're absolutely right !
    I just wanted to know what are the "future" possibilities that will be possible with RF2 engine. And for modders too ;)

But you said you're working at a new damage engine?!... Hehehe
    Can you tell us more? :p ( now you tell us to much hahaha)

please...

12. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

lol, it will be tempting...

13. osella

osella Registered

Not saying it won't be hah.

14. djvicious

djvicious Registered

This reminds me of a mod for GPL back in the day which replaced the engine blowout sound with a massive explosion. It was too awesome for multi-car pileups!

15. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I don't know, usually graphical side is not important for me, but when I see car has not even a scratch, but wheels pointing to different directions even wheels were not hit as car did not deform, it creates huge gap to being there immersion factor for me.

Also when people who crash at T1 and they get just steering wheel that is not perfectly straight, certainly they are not getting afraid of it, but have windshield crack, hood pop against windshield, body deform so that it makes wheels rubbing, radiator busted etc. that makes whole different psychological effect and your subconscious is not letting you push so far.

I would think that is why visual aspect of damage is so important.

16. killerwatt

killerwatt Registered

I still Have My original CD of that sim!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2012
  17. 88mphTim

I left most of my stuff in the UK when I moved to the US. But I re-bought it on eBay recently so I could do a bit of a lookback from rF2.

18. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

Hi Tim, is there any chance debris parts showed in cockpit view? For example i want to see my doors that i use whit debris instance but it doesnt show in cockpit, only if i add them to cockpit instance but i actually dont want to cause than they wont fall away.

19. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Carmageddon had an excellent damage model for the time it was released, 1997. The way the panels would bend and how the chassis could twist and effects the handling was fantastic.

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

crikey theres a blast from the past, LOVED that game!