Tim's Tweets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by buddhatree, Aug 9, 2012.

1. baked bean

baked bean Registered

I see over taking, but only because i kept pausing the vid now and then to see if there where any new hidden surprises amongst the pack, like the new Nissan GT500 ;)

2. Eddy

Eddy Registered

^lol......i did the same :cool:

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Well if you rarely race offline and can't be bothered to make little tweaks then I'm sorry for you, once you do the pack spreads out should you wish it too (depends on the series involved). What tracks do you race on when you get time? if 3rd party tracks it could be they don't have a very good AIW file, that can have a massive influence on the train effect.
    RF2 is and always has been about making little tweaks here and there (was the same with rf1) as there's so many variables in place, especially when it comes to the AI.

As for V8Supercars that's just one series, I've been to races in real life where it's like watching a procession, it purely boils down to the cars that are racing.

4. bwana

bwana Registered

Just like in real life.

5. Minibull

Minibull Member

Well as it stands, I'm pretty sure modders/ISI can create AI profiles, so that they all do things slightly differently. Make one driver more prone to losing control or making mistakes, maybe he is more aggressive than anoyone else, maybe he doesn't get the power down as good, but is better on brakes, etc.

I highly suggest you take the 30 seconds to disable the AI limiter. I'm putting a vid up now, around Silverstone, with the skill at 100%, aggression at 30% and the limiter off.
    Taken after 5 laps. GTR, Corvette GT2, Camaro GT3, 370Z GT4 and the Civic BTCC.

6. speed1

speed1 Banned

John is right, some things should be standard out of the box if it is necessary, and why are some features aren't incl. in the UI is a mystery for me.

It somewhat is silly because every user will have a different experience, while some know and have the time to tweak, others are lost in the data mess.

Even if i know how to tweak something to the better my feedback is always about the default and out of the box setup, no matter if i have a diff experience with my personal optimization, it simply is not our job and it just confuses people, when i would express a different experience based on a total different setup, such as for example the AI or the FFB setup i have to tune in any data file first till it works.

Very bad strategy that is.

7. Minibull

Minibull Member

It's always going to be present though, especially on any PC title. I can't think of one sim where I haven't seen enthusiastic users talking about going into the data files to tweak some options. All you can do is bring it up and offer it as a suggestion for improvement, it's what we all want :D

Also, the UI is still being worked on, we've not long had the new UI. There are probably many more things to be added into it and refined. A lot more garage settings, that's for sure.

8. speed1

speed1 Banned

True that and i know that it will evolve further but it wouldn't hurt to pre-set things different or just add as placeholder into the current UI till the perfection, to avoid the wrong impression imho.

9. Eddy

Eddy Registered

What could help if it isn't already there is a AI difference setting. so difference in AI strength between fastest AI in a race and slowest........does this even make sense :confused:

10. peterchen

peterchen Registered

You have already all this options. In the Player.JSON

Thats what the AIlimiter should do. But works only good with proper .RCD-file.

11. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I would love to see real life spacing driven by talent and machinery but there is one thing I have never seen games simulate, "luck." Some racing incident that forces a guy to pit for repairs or that makes him lose all track position and fall 15s behind last. Those and other little events that escalate throughout the races, especially those lasting over 2 hours. Maybe only in GP2 or GP3 I would see drivers by themselves, way behind others, or some quite sparse groups.

12. speed1

speed1 Banned

Ok here is me dreaming again. How about a AI engine the works like the Real Weather Plugin using real event results and driver performance at a given saison ? How to do ? No clue. :)

13. argo0

argo0 Registered

Well, it seems you think the lighting system at those difficult times of day is 'just like in real life' and I think it's very close (huge steps forward recently) but a few tweaks required. We're both very lucky simmers!

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I just ran the Clios at Palm Beach, default player.JSON and after just five laps there was a decent enough spread in the field. One AI ran away with the win, the next group had 4 cars then a gap to a 6 car group then little gaps to the rest. It looked perfectly reasonable to me, I just fear people are wanting too much from the AI are are looking for problems instead of just getting on and racing against them.

Because that's the nature of Gaming on PCs, almost every single game can be tweaked and fiddled with to change certain aspects, as above with this particular AI Train effect it's not as bad as you (and others) make it out to be, it really isn't. Yes I'm not denying that it is there in some cases dependent on the Track/Mod but I believe it's perfectly acceptable Out Of The Box as it is.
    Iif you want more of a spread a quick edit in the player.JSON and voila...job done, try it....trust me it's quicker to edit the Limiter variable than it is going for a piss so I'm not quite sure what the massive fuss is about ;)

I agree, I would like to see more UI options to alter AI characteristics, I dream of the day we can alter RCD variables on the fly in game.

15. Minibull

Minibull Member

The problem would still remain IMO even if you put those details in the UI. You then have people messing with stuff that maybe should be partially hidden for the "advanced" users. I think Tim mentioned that at one point, you don't want people clicking things in the UI that are specialty options or things that may affect the game in a big way.
    Look at the PCars FFB settings...

I can see the slight limiter setting being enabled by default to try and make it a little bit easier to hang with the pack when racing AI. Thinking of a new person, having the AI spread away and gap each other can make it a lot harder and less "fun" for someone trying to have a close race.

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah fair enough not everyone would know how to edit a text file, but I'd wager a bet that most who buy a racing sim on a PC would know how, so I don't really buy that as an argument quite frankly.
    As before, gamers who want to tweak will know how too and RF2 is just fine Out Of The Box with it's AI Spread.

17. Freddy3792

Freddy3792 Registered

Totally agree. FFB setup in rF2 was easy for me (at the start there wasn't even smoothing). Put smoothing on 0, adjust FFB multiplier and I was fine even on my G25. You maybe could add minimum force to the menu, but that is about it. So FFB setup takes me around 0 to 30 seconds per car. In pCars I was trying sliders and stuff for hours and still felt bad, so more sliders != better. at least for me the FFB setup in rF2 is perfect, if they add minimum force for cheaper wheels, because you dont really want to touch anything else.

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I'm the opposite. I'd love all the options in-game. My friends think I'm a time-wasting, obsessive compulsive disorder, lunatic when they see me messing around with all the lines in the player file. I got a friend into simracing (he will be purchasing RF2 soon) and, literally, the very first thing he said was that he doesn't want to be messing with all these hundreds of lines in windows text files and such. I didn't really say anything back to him, I guess I'll just have to write down exactly what lines to change and to what values and send it to him.

Wether you want replays initially saved to HDD/SSD or RAM, replay compression size, all the FFB settings, shifting up/down simultaneously=Neutral, the steering ratio increase when under a certain speed, a few AI settings, and much more should all be in-game in my opinion. Some of the settings in the player and controller file are brilliant. At the very least, it would be nice to have the framerate limiter setting in-game (constantly opening, searching, editing, and saving text-lines every time I switch between 3D, 2D 100Hz, and 2D 120Hz quickly gets tiring).

It could be placed in some advanced menu with a popup that says something like "editing these settings may drastically affect gameplay, edit at your own risk". Then, you could have a small icon next to each setting; the icon - when pressed - would set that particular setting back to default. Obviously have a big "default" button which sets everything back to default as-well.

19. matf1

matf1 Registered

The ability to ctrl click entries in a list (with explanations) that can be assigned to custom menu/s that can be pulled up in game with a hotkey and manipulated with cursor keys or buttons.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Haha that would be totally sweet, Matt, but I think that would require a new core U.I. (which, as we learned a few months back, is a long ways away and in my opinion may never even make it to RF2, but rather, used for RF3 many years from now as it's quite a big and complex change).