Download - All locations (torrent)

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Abriel Nei, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Just thinking out loud mostly, but curious if it will eventually make sense to do a "most recent version only" version of this for the offline crowd as number of tracks grows and some cannot store all the tracks. Just curious where you see this going down the road because this is incredibly cool but as you can imagine it will eventually become unmanageable due to space and rf2 UI which makes it difficult to navigate many of anything. Just curious as you may be intending this to be temporary stop gap and although I love this very much I am still wondering what rfc replacement is going to be long term (not that this was ever your intention but obviously you have great insight to creat this so am interested in your thoughts).

Edit: I meant to mention regarding space and UI that it will especially be cumbersome if tracks are in UI that you don't use but also maybe that is not the case if that is in all cars all tracks only. Also, I meant to point out that I totally understand if your main concern is online only for this solution.

2. ethone

ethone Registered

Can't you select/deselect which of the individual files from the torrent to download?

3. Eaglerapids

Eaglerapids Registered

From the original post:
    "Usage:
    I recommend setting download location directly to your Packages folder, so you don't have to move files and when I update the torrent you will download only the new locations that you don't already have.
    If your download does not include all tracks on the list below you don't have the latest torrent - simply download again from the link above and set download location again to the same location as before."

Doing it this way, you only d/l what you don't have.

4. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Because not everyone likes every tracks of this package, but someone gave the idea to select wich one i wish to download when the torrent client start to download. I think this will do what i want.
    Thanks to the guy that reminds that feature on torrent client.

5. JOR

JOR Registered

Thanks alot for the torrent, excellent idead and very usefull!!!

6. rer8

rer8 Registered

If you follow the instructions in the 1st post, you can download only the files you need... This is a fabulous one stop store (age) for tracks.

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Best thing since sliced bread.

8. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Great. It works , thanks.

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

You know we should get our acts together.

A Setups Torrent

People submit setups for a new torrent weekly, size it would not really matter downloading fresh
    and drivers could have updated settings #1 #2 etc

You would have naming and info requirements to meet so things were standardized to a extent.

This can all be neatly packaged by make, series, track, driver name and updated weekly say.
    More importantly archives pathed to the install folder correctly.

Then a GT lover selects a entire Package or by driver or tracks or a single setup and just drops it in.

You could even include replays for separate selection.

I mean surely that has got to be better then a mix of online garage setups and browsing endless sites and threads for them.

By Gold you could have a great package and then if physics change you start another. :)

P.S. Would be great addition for rookies just download entire torrent to your rF2 install ready to go.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2012
  10. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Not a bad idea -- setup torrent.

11. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Naming conventions would have to include what car, track conditions, what track, creator's name and version number at the least in order to be effective. Are names like that even supported in rF2?

12. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Hey Eagle! Are you the famous Jim Eaglerapids of Mybroga legend? Glad to see you wading into the rF2 world. I hope more guys will give it a try.

Back on topic...

Call me stupid. I'm just not getting it. I did a torrent dl of all the files in the 1st post about a month ago. Worked fine. All those files are in a folder called packages. Now I want the latest ones. I click the .torrent file and it asks me where I want the stuff to be downloaded to. I select that packages folder. As soon as the dl starts a new "packages" folder appears in the torrent window and begins to fill. It's size is bigger than the original packages folder so I think it is downloading everything. From my Windows experince I was expecting to be told "file already exists do you want to replace?" But no it seems to be making a duplicate packages folder.

BTW it pisses me off that I have to have every single track installed that the server has installed just to race one particular track of interest. I know... old gripe but I can't let it go!

13. rer8

rer8 Registered

If I am correct the default path is .....rFactor 2\Packages. In order to get the "rFiles" in the packages folder, the path you set for torrent should be ....rFactor 2 , which will place the files in the torrent "packages", into your "packages" folder.

14. Eaglerapids

Eaglerapids Registered

Yes Rick, but the only thing I've ever been famous for is being slow:). I am really liking rF2.

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yes more then one would have had "rFactor2/packages/packages" and wondered were all my new tracks :( ! hehehe

Head ups for torrent newbies if you start downloading to wrong folder ( to check right click on torrent "' open folder containing " or simply browse windows explorer )

Stop torrent
    Cut and Paste the partly downloaded folder to rfactor2 or the files to packages or wherever you really wanted them.
    If you add to rfactor it will ask to overwrite folder
    Then reload torrent and point to rFactor/packages, this time it will re-check downloaded parts and pick up were it left off.

That way you help everyone by seeding the tracks in the torrent you already have which is the whole idea.

Ergo do not use torrent default download paths

16. tjc

tjc Registered

Good info there D... ;)

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yes that is what I meant that setups would need to meet a naming requirement should not be too hard to sort out.

Setups has a info windows that author can / will include all info.

Only thing I have never really thought to try is does setups support multi folders within tracks ?
    rather then one long list divided into car / driver

edit: Ahh scratch that off course it filters doh.

I should have just tried rather then ask, I know...

You could include tutorials and personal driver track laps, all sorts of stuff along with replays and videos for the fanatics. All the big stuff could have a different "temp or setups addons" ' path rather then bloat settings.

Archived well it would make a invaluable download for me. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2012
  18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Further I guessing a few might be interested in idea

If jim likes an idea of mine must be on to something, lopl thanks by the way :)

We would need dedicated bunch to check all setups first for virarse p , authenticity and correct naming and info.

Maybe have a excel page template ( whatever they are ) you can fill out multi-choice, time, weather etc
    May make people keener.

P.S.
    For mine I feel more then ever setups as a bigger part of the picture.
    In most sims setup changes can go largely unnoticed by a rookie even casual drivers.
    Not the case for rF2 imho.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2012
  19. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Here is why I am in favor of a set up collection:
    Surely you can remember when you 1st tried out race simulation driving. You like to drive and figured "I can do this". So you buy yourself a simulator.

Pick a car you'd like to burn the road up with and take it for a spin.... whoa here, this ain't so hot. Spinning in the corners!, okay lets look in the garage and fix it.... what the heck is all this stuff... raise this setting, lower this setting, etc., etc.

Oh well, must be a bad representation of the real car anyway, grab another one. Get another track, I didn't like that one.
    What? same problems and a few new ones.

Let me try another sim. I've heard there's one better..... ditto, same old story. HHmmmppff! I guess this stuff is really just all hype. I'm back to 3rd person shooters, all ya gotta do is aim. (no disrespect to those gamers). Besides, I'm not getting online and look like a silly little monkey.

Lets face it, we are a niche just like flight simmers are.

Excellent flight sims are far and few between. So are good racing simulators.

We just happen to think that rF2 is a good one. (if not excellent sim, I know there are a few still on the fence about that, but they are still here, are they not?)

A good set up collection for newbies and oldies (which more than likely includes me) can show them that a car can actually zip around (all the way around) a track at a pretty good pace. It may just give them an incentive to actually look at the nuts and bolts of a decent setup and learn something about the "craft" of setups. You in turn get some actual worthy competition, and more drivers.
    More drivers means more income for developers, and that my friends gives developers more incentive for an even better sim.

That's called supporting a sim and it's development.

Just saying.

20. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Updated two tracks - updated torrent, link in first post!

Last update: 2012-11-05
    Added Black Hole Ring v1.11
    Added Deuna City Circuit v1.01 (new version of Deuna Urban Circuit just renamed)

Also clarified in Usage that you don't need to download all tracks - you can select what individual tracks you want to download in your torrent client.