steering lock

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by REVHED666, Aug 7, 2012.

1. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Not in open wheelers, though occasionally when pushing the car into and out of the pit stall, but it's not all that uncommon in the lower classes of stock or touring cars, prevalent in any sort of historic racing, ubiquitous in rallying, etc.

2. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Not sure I would want to watch a rally race with limited turning of the wheel to correct and control a power slide. hehehe.

3. BasJon

BasJon Registered

Well I will say first we all like different settings and feel to driving in sims and in real life, you should chose the max degree of wheel rotation that you feel comfortable with, then on each track you need to find the tightest corner and be able to get around it on full lock with the correct garage steering lock, some tracks/ cars it maybe only 10 and others it maybe 16, to get faster we need practice and feel comfortable with our setups...

4. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

you can use 480 degrees with SL 20, getting the same effect (as with current settings) for range -120 - 120 degrees plus additional 120* on each side. can't you?

5. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

As long as the lock is changed when the rotation is changed you should end up with the same feeling in the car with about the same amount of rotation. The upside is that you would have finer control and the car won't feel quite so twitchy.

6. cloudXXI

cloudXXI Registered

Why just don´t use the real settings? rf2 already gives us the real steering degrees of the wheel..

By the way, using 240º and 10, you have the same ratio than 480 and 20, but less top turn wheel. So it´s useless using 240º and 10 and things like that

7. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

Yeah exactly, that's a nice feature how it informs you of the correct rotation. It always amuses me how obsessed people are with having a wheel with 900 degrees of rotation when pretty much all racing cars having a racing rack, which is way less than that. I normally go for quite a low number on degrees of lock to compensate for my tendency to over turn the wheel, unless it's Monaco which needs alot of lock for the hairpins. Other than that, don't give it a second thought.

8. Favio

Favio Registered

I could use 900°, but I never turn my wheel more than 240° (I used to drive with 360° too), my driving style and my setups don't need it, so it's the same thing... and also Formula ISI use by default 240°, again, I don't need the remaining wheel rotation.

In a real racing car, drivers never turn the wheel more than 270°, except when they made a mistake and go off track.
    For me putting those steering limits, it's a way to push me to find a balanced and fast car. It's just a matter of taste and my point of view, to some people this can be usefull, to others not.

9. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

even in modern F1 drivers are using more than 180* on single side (means more than 360 in overal) fo example in monaco.
    I'm sure you have to change nothing in your driving style if you multiply lock2lock and steering lock by the same number. work range will remain unchanged. but you will gain additional turn usufull in pits or so. currently you have to use some aids (low speed help or nolinear steering) to achive tight turn which may be not needed with additional turn available

of course it is your choice at the end. but Im trying to tell you that you may improve something without loosing anythyng.

10. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Well for us Fanatec users, 'vehicle set' does not work.

So, we either have to pick a steering rotation and stick with it, or change it (on the wheel) for each car.

If I have to stick with just one rotation, I would rather use 900. Unfortunately, the steering lock for most cars does not allow me to use 900 (they don't go high enough) :(

11. Favio

Favio Registered

I don't use any aids. Even in pit I don't need more steering.

Like I said before, to some people this can be usefull, some not. But of course, you can get same result with more wheel rotation and appropiate steering lock.

12. krivjur

krivjur Registered

Thanks for reminder, I was supposed to test this at some point (Fanatec here) but haven't had time with rF2 lately. iRacing and Project CARS handle the steering well, as you can use 900 deg on wheel but game limits the raw value / DirectInput range used in game physics based on vehicle. I think NetKarPro was similar as well. Then you don't have Steering Lock on garage but Steering Ratio which will be also more comparable between users if you share setups for example.

Another feature would be to introduce a game software side soft lock like iRacing did on the 2012 Season 3 build with steeringBumpStop_Deg.

13. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Totally agree. Steering ratio is the way to go. Then it doesn't matter what your rotation is, 15:1 ratio is 15:1 no matter what, 270 degrees or 900.

14. jtbo

jtbo Registered

28:1 ratio, not adjustable,well one can also get powersteering option of 17.5:1 ratio, is there still wheels that don't turn more than that <360 degrees? Might be fun with such steering to see what happens with player that has such wheel, I suspect whining to be happening, but as real car has no possibility to adjust steering lock or ratio it is what it is :p

15. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Real cars can adjust steering lock at the wheels if they are designed to do so, and a lot of purpose built race cars are designed to do that. It is all just a matter of having a block to stop the steering arm with an adjustment that changes the distance of the block or the pin that hits the block when turning. Semi trucks use this all the time in the US.

16. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Yeah some have such, but I have rarely seen them being adjustable in here. I think that it is integrated to many steering racks, but again it is spec that is not put any books and even I don't remember that they would of mention anything about that in car mechanic school when I was there, but then again it was 20 years ago and my memory is not so well.

BTW, I could use all semi truck data that you (or anyone) might have, I'm researching those as I'm building physics for one :)

17. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Well, tell me what you need and I will see if I can help out, but at the moment I am not working due to health issues so have no direct access to a truck. I could call someone though if needed. I have over 20 years exp. driving, so feel free to pm away with questions.

18. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I sure hope that the snobs who insist on exact underlying physics and mathematics, etc. are not the same people in this thread who are using 200 degrees on a car that is 900 degrees b/c "that's my driving style" or "because I'll scrub my tires too much" because that would be hipocritical to have such unshakeable purist principles but then completely ignore them so that you can effectively cheat and drive faster than you could in the real car. Cracks me up some of you guys.

19. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Just because someone has the desire to have a realistic reproduction of vehicle physics doesn't make them a hypocrite if they choose to make small concessions due to short comings of current hardware available to the home market for sim racing. Unfortunately, we have to deal with systems and hardware that are at best inaccurate, and at worst impossible to use, and most of that is due to issues with display lag, controller lag, game lag etc. Also, as long as the ratio is the same as the real car, the end result will be the same as far as amount of wheel turn to get the tires to turn.

F1 cars btw, don't use a full 900 degree's of rotation in their steering gearbox, more likely they are using 360 to 400. GT cars I believe are running around 540 degrees. So the full rotation of the wheel for a racing sim isn't really required, nor is it "accurate".

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2012
  20. Favio

Favio Registered

Give names mate, I'm not going to get angry for something you say. I'm not cheating nothing for using small wheel rotation, don't get your point.
    If you doubt about what I'm I say, we can meet on track and race a few laps. Greetings.