What will make RF2, a bomb !

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trollray, Aug 6, 2012.

1. trollray

trollray Registered

Hello, firts sorry for my english, y originally speak french but who cares lol.

I'm an old sim racing lover since the first release of games like grand prix by geoff crammond's and earlier "REVS" ( By Geoff too ) on commodore 64 for who knows it ;)) (the very old crap driver like me lolll ).

What i what to tell is my real feel (based on real facts only) about a looooong list of discussions that compares all the sims that will be out this year (or next one ;) )

I have to talk first to all my respect that we must have for the work of all the producers of simracing games.
    But, one thnig that have allways be the same for me is my instainct of what will be a bomb.

1 : You wait like an angry lion in a cage for any news or the release of info about this game.
    - This is one of the signs of a future great game.

2 : You have some demos, betas or just advice from journalists, and you just have the same impression. "Could be sooo better, but, why they didn't do this or this, this will be soo good ?! "
    - You know they can achieve it but you always are affraid of any looking bad news lol.

3: You begin to dream about the game but with your wish list and think it's will be not far from the ultimate dream if that would be reality
    - You just secretely trust that, this team can touch the sky, but don't want to be disapointed !

Personnaly, i remeber this impressions for just one or two racing games and that still a momen i don't.
    And the last one is ...RF2 ;)

Why?
    Oh, i'm not there to discuss like a kid about my dreams but just tell you what i've observe since a long time now on how games grow up before a release and also how developpement team can offer really in conjuction with the market or production costs, license etc..

First :

Gameplay/feeling
    -No other games like RF2 will give you a so intense direct feeling in racesim at the moment.
    A feeling does'nt mean only realism but i prefer talk about what you can feel directly like your touching it with your fingers.
    Along the history of games, the best games are the one that gives it that way.

When you wait for a reaction and must think about it... This will not work !.
    When you just have to focus on playing (and in our case driving ) better and progress all the time you practice it and continue either to discover natural things, you have it !
    When you don't feel the work behind the scene, but "feels" the car like it is supposed to react, you have it !

two :

Graphics

hahaha, i know, the big deal is there... ;)

I'm not impressed about the graphics developped for now. But i can say to you that it is ONLY the "beta version" cause.
    You want that i prove it?
    Simple, look at the firsts shots of rfactor 2 and some in rain screenshots or video (the ones with raindrops and all ).

If you look well, the old screens or videos are... Better than now. (especially the rain lol )
    So why developpers will drop their work? And firts screens comes out from 2010...

Working on graphical effects is a process that always evoluates. ANd really fast!
    So it makes no sense to work a complete new engine before working on the physical stuffs.
    As ISI said, "the hardest part of the work is behind us, now we can focus on the other things".

It's clear, we are not playing with something near the final release in terms of graphics with the beta.
    If you look at the scrennshots and you work them with a little of post effects (You said FONISMO? lol ;)) ), it begins to be
    totally competitive with the other planned sims.
    ANd even better, if you look at the small details of some circuits.
    ( Totally not important in race sim i must admit but, seeing the cows or horses eating along the road in Spa is one of this numberous features that make me think about the sense of details that only passionate guys do !! )

The only bad news is the use of directx9 and not dx11.
    But only bad news?
    That is the part of modders especially i think.
    A lot of modders have to work on dx9 and maybe it's better to stay there.
    And again, the developpement of a game can also move to another library later (Flight simulator have do it from dx9 to 10 but with no real luck i must admit )

And finally, Dx9 have some great looking games like "Crysis 1" developped and it's still great to see the effects of it ;)

Three :
    The Balance of the wohle game

- When a game or simulation want to be great, it must be a perfect balance of each aspects.
    Not the best one in a part but great and balanced in every part.

Playing a magnificent race sim (or a game in general ) with a crap IA will give up your try about .. 5 minutes.
    The same with bad physics... 2 minutes.

But using a game or sim with all the aspects under control, will push you to want more and more.

And finally, if the game have a big potential inside, you will play it for years... !
    STop sometimes but get back on it again and again ;)

Last but not least

The future developpements (mods or official )

In that way, the only way to imagine what can be Rf2 is to look at rf1 till the first release to 2012..
    Rf1 is near rf2 beta huhu ;)

But the potential of Rf2 is far far better and it's logic ;)

So people, maybe ISI have given a not eye candy work but that was not their goal.
    Touching the sim makes us all happy with the comportment of the cars and promises a lot of future developpements.

WAIT WAIT WAIT, be patient, RF2 is a future bomb that will give a big step forward in simulation.
    I have no doubt about it, and all my sense are in alert like when i was a young kid... ;)))

Cheers,

Best regards to all of you and good work to ISI,
    Trollray ;)

ps : driving simracing,playing ,makes us younger loll :p

1 person likes this.
  2. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Well said, I totally agree!

3. trollray

trollray Registered

Thanks ;)

4. HelderPimenta

HelderPimenta Registered

"Well said, I totally agree!"(x2)
    Stunt Car Racer was my game on the old C64 days

5. elcoco

elcoco Registered

i agree too! ;)

ton analyse est a mon sens,juste!

Et pour moi, même en Beta,rf2 est ce que j'ais toujours attendus depuis la naissance des ordi

ps: j'ai debuter avec un amiga 1200 :)

6. kkacper

kkacper Registered

That was an amazing read, and "Well said, I totally agree!"(x4) :) I don't remember old games like that but I'm a simracer from the bottom of my heart. I was born in 1995 so I missed the begginings of simming, began in rF in 2008. I remember though in 1998 when I got my first pc (well of course I used it with my dad and all :p ). I remember having so much fun around Monza in Grand Prix Circuit, still sometimes I give it a go for nostalgia. I played racing games from the beginning. What you write here is a lot of truth and I still remember the shots of Nissan GT-R with rain on it. I can't wait till it's implemented. It's going to be a pain to drive, but a rightous pain, as real life racing in rain isn't easy at all :)

7. elbo

elbo Registered

Just to be clear with the OP thread title in french when something is a hit we say it is a bomb as opposed to English where to bomb means it is utter crap.
    Good post by the way.

8. liebestod

liebestod Registered

Us USA people used to say things were "the bomb" to mean they were good/a hit/cool in the 1990s.

9. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Just don't say it in an airport! haha

10. trollray

trollray Registered

Lol. "Just don't say it in an airport! haha"

SOrry for this expression "bomb" but i've seen it in another forum and the guy that used it speaked very well in english.
    But this is not the most important thing either ;)

Ahaaa, stunt car racer, what a good remembering with the "big jump" track loll Not realistic but so much fun

11. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

That gave me an idea, why not reproduce the Stunt Car Racer track for rF2. It was done in NR2003, so why not rF.

12. Max Attack

Max Attack Registered

We need some DIRT!!!! GRAVEL!!!! RALLY!!!!That would make it for me.

13. coops

coops Banned

full release would make it the BOMB the rest of the game is cutting edge to other sims out there