Build 101 Lag over 15 Driver

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by ~IsR~Barabba, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

Jeremy:

where can we get the 102 to try on the dedicated servers

Thanks

Dave

2. Jeremy Miller

Jeremy Miller Former ISI Senior Programmer

Message sent, check your inbox ;)

3. Jeremy Miller

As a side note can everyone running 102 verify if alt-tabbing still works or if it is broken. Thanks

4. kro388th

kro388th Registered

In sundays test I was in the mid back , I personaly did not see any lag ,the cars in front were all in place with no skipping/pausing/dissapearing however i felt the slam of all the cars behind me as we all got into the breaking zone of T1 .. but for me into turn 1 all seemed fine untill the hit from behind as we breaked .. one note I have "visable vhicles" set down to 8 this might explane me not seeing any cars in front of me lag ....? IDK just reporting ;-)

5. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Alt Tab for me did not work 100% i could alt tab out but then was stuck and could not return to game ,had to use task manager to shut rf2 down and that took some trys as well ..lol

6. Jeremy Miller

Thank you this confirms a few things for me. I just want to be sure of something concerning what libraries and fixes were built into 102. This is what I expected.

Much appreciated.

7. ~IsR~Barabba

~IsR~Barabba Registered

Important step forward on the issue of Lag, Jeremy I sent you a private message, with interesting news.
    Seems that changing values ​​in the file Multiplayer.ini, the problem is reduced much.
    Thx Lukas Yardbird

Babs:D

8. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

Thanks for your tests. So it looks like B102 did not eliminate the "Lag-over-15-driver" problem. There is one other area that we need to investigate.

9. Jeremy Miller

Using either build 102 or 101 disable real road on your server and see what happens.

one can do this by changing

Code:
    Real Road System="0" // If true, dynamic road effects are used
    in your dedicated server plr file.

If possible reset the multiple.ini options to what you had before 101 to see if disabling real road helps.

10. Cleverleyson

Cleverleyson Registered

I have both installed (dual install) and did

"Net Connection Type="6" // 0=28k, 1=56k, 2=ISDN, 3=128kbps cable/dsl 4=256kbps cable/dsl, 5=LAN, 6=custom
    Upstream Rated KBPS="60" // Rated uploading speed of connection, in kilobits per second
    Downstream Rated KBPS="400" // Rated downloading speed of connection, in kilobits per second"

Track was mills, maybe worth testing with official and unofficial tracks...as I recall it happening on modders tracks.
    and had a 20 car race in 101 and it was OK... will continue to test!

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/7169-Server-Connection-Failed
    i also had this problem which i think is related.

currently running in a 20 player 101 server... will report after race :D if you check http://rfactor.net/rf2mm.php its the fm is here server

ok just did 20 player race.. all went well. infact i won! :D no lag and all I've done is the changes above to my multiplayer.plr, i'll upload the replay :D.

http://www.mediafire.com/?w33lgjrp1nsze92

Now im trying to rejoin that server it loads and i get Connection lost and its kicks me back to the lobby. It currently has 20 people in it. Now it doesn't even load, I just get the connection fail box pop up.

tried loading another mod and another server and it went fine, went back to the lobby and then tried the cilo server and it loads then boots me to the lobby. Waited for the track to change and now its let me back in....very odd

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
  11. Jeremy Miller

Your upstream should be like 5000 or 8000 if hosting 20 people. Your settings are fine if this is the player file for the client

12. ~IsR~Barabba

~IsR~Barabba Registered

you want the value, the default connection,before multiplaey.ini edited?
    and disable the real road,on the server.
    ok we can do that too.
    I will take a couple of days to organize a test.

Babs

13. Cleverleyson

Cleverleyson Registered

Darn yes it was for the client side, I thought it was related to how much you upload and download from the server. bo

also noticed that when i'm in the server, it is always spamming this, which i presume is people trying to join but can't join.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. kro388th

kro388th Registered

That "?" has been ther from the beginning with rf1 as well , its alwase trying to join , i think its some kind of query program snakeing it's way through all the servers trying to collecting info ..lol does anyone know what the "?" reely is ?? :confused:

15. Cleverleyson

Cleverleyson Registered

Yeah but this time you can't even chat becuase people are trying and failing to join....

:D

16. Roadster

Roadster Registered

I see the testing of 102 is in full effect. :cool:

Although my experiences with buid 101 on this issue might be needless info by now,
    I still would like to take my chances it is not. (short version, last paragraph)

Note:
    Always used Formula Masters mod in these examples.
    I used to race with 15+ drivers on these servers mentioned many times, they're capable.

A few days ago I ran into a hotstreak with this bug.
    There were around 9-15 drivers each time.
    I can say with certainty, that two races started with 11 drivers.
    Right after the green lights we all start dissapearing, drivers warping all around etc.
    Every race only 3-6 drivers make the second lap. People disconnect by numbers.
    Some say they disconnected, others just left thinking the server/connection was bad.
    I can't confirm the disconnecting as it never happened to me.

In qualifying there was none of this, but noticable lag jerks. Not constantly but one or two times a lap, with consistency.

I don't know if it's related to this bug, but I also have a lot of weird things going on with statuses in this build:

Race Length
    A few guys, including me, were waiting to join as the race was still going on.
    It was a 10 laps race, but to all of the waiting people it showed they were racing in their 11/10 lap with status 110%.
    The race ended after lap 12/10 120% in our screens.
    We didn't have confirmation on this from the people driving at the moment, but it was clear after joining that they were running 10 laps races.

Status Bar
    The bar which shows the cars and their relative position on track, it was more wrong then normal.
    Drivers showing as in pit, while they actually were driving on track.
    (happened in every session)

Timesheet colors
    With a couple of guys I was doing a 50+ lap practise/setup session.
    People were joining now and then but never more then 8 drivers in the room.
    As with the status bar, the drivers current status on the time monitor was often not correct.
    (green ontrack, blue pits, white pitbox).
    When I was chatting with another guy for a while it even began to show me as blue, leaving pitbox.
    The same for the other driver who was clearly not driving.
    Maybe I haven't paid closer attention to this in earlier builds, but I think this was always correct.

In short, I experienced this lag in races with 10+ drivers.
    When we were with less than 10 drivers it was a lot less apparent. Never had it with 6- drivers.
    But, regardless of number of drivers, there always is consistent lag. One, two or three times a lap a short lag jerk.
    One time more noticable then the other. And statuses seem affected somehow.

That's what I got for now.
    I hope further tests will shine more light on this!

17. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Yes it is extreem , i saw the same thing on the isr server earlyer .. So you think that the "?" represents players trying to join?

hmmm could be , not sure on that one ..

The fact that it alwase has same message with it> " ? was removed from the game :server is not receiving updates from client" leaves me to belive that it's already made it's way in and is being removed .. ?? lol i just dont know about MR. ? :)

18. Cleverleyson

Cleverleyson Registered

I think it could be related to that yes, As I just couldn't join the server at all, It would load the track, then lost connection and the server was full a race ago, I had to wait for the server to change track. I wouldn't be surprised if it was that.

19. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

Something We are seeing testing in our servers, If you enter a server, with one mod and one track...it enters the server with no issues.

exit the server..and try and join another server...It tries and loads the last mod and track that it successful entered.
    Of course when that happens, you get booted.
    try to rejoin the same server again, it times out.

The only way to successfully join the server after this happens, is to close out the game, enter the GUI, single player mode, and select the Mod & Track the server is running you are trying to load...and away you go.

Dave

20. ~IsR~Barabba

~IsR~Barabba Registered

I opened up a server with Build 101, and the Real Road System = "0"
    Today we will try this, I invite all guys to join the server to do a good test.
    I will use the original value multiplayer.ini, to see what happens.

EDIT: another thing I have noticed, but I do not know if it only happens to me, and this:
    sometimes, not always, when I turn off a server, I get runtime error, saying that application will not be closed properly.
    This error appearing from Build 101and also with the 102.

Babs

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2012