HDR pulsating lighting

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Ferry Bervoets, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Ferry Bervoets

Ferry Bervoets Registered

Hi, build 101 still no stable HDR (ATI HD4850X2 with Phenom II X4@4000GHz beamer 1680x1050)
    The workaround is to use windowed view at the the cost of about half the framerate.

Sometimes I see the HDR create a round ' glow ' around rearlights and signposts like it appears in reallife conditions and sometime it creates a kind of ' pacman ' shaped red ' solid ' glow around rearlights. Clearly HDR is not stable at all.

Please note that running games like Dirt3 and Pcars have no problems at all with the graphicscard and are performing at a solid 60 FPS no mather what the roadconditions are.

2. Roadster

Roadster Registered

Me too. We have about same manufacturer specs. ATI HD6990 with Phenom II X4 OC@3.9ghz. Which resolution I've set doesn't matter for the issue (as the video shows, its on lowest I think).

I also have pulsing issues. But the one where the whole screen flashes.
    Since the last update(s), it's been a lot better.

Before it were bright white flashes, and now it seems more toned down and at lower speed intervals.
    It's really hypnotizing when driving, at a certain point I got a feeling I was even breathing in time with it!
    Talk about immersion :D

I made a video, ran the game with very low resolution and detail to keep all the hassle of putting it up at a low. It's just to show the pulsing. The current pulsing in the video shows, from a 1 to 10, around an 8 in how strong these effects still occur. This would be a 2, or even 1 in a few builds earlier. It was undrivable when it still where strong white flashes with more interfering horizontal lines. Just to show how less severe it has become for me through the updates. (the effect on your eyes/driving is stronger/more present then in the video appears.).

btw: In the background there are the flashing shadows (against the mountain behind the bus). Maybe a common thing, but when I start recording with fraps all those shadows disappeared. When I stop the recording the shadows reappear. Call me crazy, but first times I wanted to record this pulsing, I couldn't get it to show on the videos because it also disappeared when I started recording and the screen became completely clean/drivable. :p

3. Ferry Bervoets

Ferry Bervoets Registered

Yep that's it.

4. Patterik

Patterik Registered

I get the same.

5. Roadster

Roadster Registered

Here's another one. Sometimes its a bit faster and more steady like this:

6. Patton55

Patton55 Registered

Greets all,

I am running the dual GPU nVidia GTX590 with the latest drivers and get exactly the same HDR gamma pulsating light issue as described above, so its definitely not just AMD ATi cards!
    This really needs to be addressed asap as running the sim without HDR is literally like night and day insofar as photorealism is concerned. When you run laps with HDR, there just ain't no going back to a non HDR display, the whole environment just looks so flat and lifeless not to mention that the road color is so dark that its hard to pick the rubber buildup lines etc without HDR.

rF2 Devs could you please let us know if there is a switch or parameter that we could try to fix this issue so we can run rF2 as its meant to look with HDR on sans the pulsating gamma issue?

Keep up the great work, rF2 is categorically the finest motor sports sim available today bar none!

Regards
    Patton

7. magicfr

magicfr Registered

Got the pulsating too, I went to shadow OFF and no more pulsating , and gain twice framerate ( 70fps vs 36fps ).
    ATI HD 6970 , 6048x1080 ( bezel resol ), Multiview ON, HDR ON , FXAA Off, Shadow Off

8. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

The funny thing is the same pulsating effect that I got at some Rfactor1 tracks when I try to use Enbseries for post effects.

9. Roadster

Roadster Registered

Ok, the pulsing seems almost gone now.
    I messed a lot with the graphic settings (rF2 & AMD CC).
    It's getting smoother and smoother and also shadows don't seem a big problem atm.
    Nothing changed with video drivers etc.

Although I still have the glowing under the cars and side/back panels.
    As you can see on the image, the sunlight shines through from the front.

[​IMG]

I also have the weird glow around the tail lights of the megane.
    Here's a video (hd) to show the tail lights issue but also the smoother I got it to run now. No flickering and pulsing.

Just want to say, there seem to be some possibilities on our end to reduce/correct the pulsing.
    It could take some time, changing settings...trying and restarting again, but it's worth it in the end.

10. waynevegas

waynevegas Registered

I have the pulsating lighting and the strange taillight glow too...using a gtx690 and various driver versions.

11. fred.e

fred.e Registered

I just upgraded to the GTX690 from my original GTX570 and I now have these pulsating issues - I don't know anything about the settings (learning) so been reading a lot and making adjustments, closing/opening running and adjusting and can't get rid of them. Will try the shadow setting tomorrow and see how I go.

12. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

I get the pulsating effect but only sometimes. Restarting rf2 can make it dissappear so for me its rather spasmodic.

I am using HD6990 and cat 12.7.

13. Microdev

Microdev Registered

+1

Still getting the same pulsating HDR in 107. For me it seems intermittent depending on the car. I tend to see this when driving open wheelers.

If I enter the game anew with the F2, it appears after I enter and exit the garage a few times in Palm Beach. However with the Nissan 370, I did not notice it after entering and exiting the garage a number of times at Palm Beach also. It may be related to the time of day with changing light conditions but that is a pure guess.

2 x GeForce GTX570 (Surround display - 3) v301.42, i7-3770K, 16GB

14. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

me too, I get more of this when racing in closed cockpits. I guess Its the auto hdr light calculations applied to differences in the whole screen (dark colors vs bright colors) damn my english

15. Magus

Magus Registered

Me too, GTX580 Sli (306.23), less than before but definitely still in build 107

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I have GTX570, no issues with pulsating lights.

rFactor2 would be be the easiest set up sim besides GPL I have, just install and run.

I run 306.23, default NV inspector profile and maximum settings

17. Sentri

Sentri Registered

Everyone seems to being running SLI or Crossfire that has flashing. Try single GPU rendering and seeing if that fixes it maybe.