How come nobody is using rFactorCentral for new content?

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by call-911, Jul 30, 2012.

1. DeM

DeM Registered

A great subject thank you

2. coops

coops Banned

modding ?'s

1. has any modder that has answered or responded to this post asked for permission off the original owners to copy there products ?
    if not its illegal.

2. so if its illegal ? ( how can you get upset with some1 ripping your mod off there just doing what you did ? )
    pls explain. ( there just not doing the hard yards )

3. maybe if there was a way to share knowledge and or materials and textures ? ( more ppl might start from scratch. )

im not a modder so just curious. ( 1 day would like to make my own mod from scratch )

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2012
  3. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

they charge now....

4. SouthPawRacer

SouthPawRacer Registered

Only for premium accounts and continued use of the 1-click install (which IMO is pretty useless anyway...). I've been downloading stuff for free from rFC for ages, and it doesn't look like that'll be changing any time soon.

5. coops

coops Banned

by the sounds of things it will if you want to play rfactor2 LOL

6. coops

coops Banned

y haven't u put your v8 mod on there YZ ? not the rf2 one the rf1 mod you got in house ?

7. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Thats not entirely correct for scratch made tracks or mods with all your own models and textures, its like a work of art the same as if someone does a landscape painting or a painting of a car or track really. They may not own the rights to what they have drawn or created but its entirely their own work so if anyone were to make a copy of a piece of art or fully scratch made mod its still theft of the art work.

When you come to people creating conversions like I did in the past, you dont really own any of the work and its not yours so if someone else wants to use this for something else I dont see how anybody could get upset regarding permissions or credits for stuff the original converter has stolen in the first place. No conversions from other titles that I know of have ever been givien permission from the original creators and I doubt anyone ever would so that's a different case to fully self made content.

But using someone else's self made mods or tracks then they should be asked for permission if you want to use any parts of that for your own mods. Many modders will gladly share their work if they are acknowledged and properly credited for any of it, these guys arent the dodgy converters like I was in the past but actual true artists that many times make things to a better standard then professional game studios so they should be respected for the great work they do for us at no cost just for the love of creating something we can all enjoy.

8. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Netkar has LFS Blackwood track, also there is rF1 version of it, completely legit as LFS developers had stated that old versions of that track are allowed to be converted, which is really nice of them, imo.

That means pre S2, I believe, but always asking permission case by case is best route to go with.

Also I believe GTL stuff has been approved for conversion with certain conditions.

So sometimes such happens, even it is rare.

With any conversion or such one should have original author's word that you are allowed to do that or one ends up easily with copyright infringement.

No permission, no release is good rule of thumb, if something comes off free to use site, good to mention that and if possible put link to readme and so on.

9. Race Marshal

Race Marshal Registered

Guys please allow me to update you on rFactorcentral and what's been going on there. We've recently had some coding issues which resulted in the site having serious issues and downtime, but those have since been fixed.

As the site's administrator, I hate seeing comments like "Rfc = greed" or "they charge now....", because both are clearly inaccurate and misguided. The site remains free for everybody and only those wishing to subscribe can purchase an optional membership allowing them access to high speed downloads or the 1 click client. That membership is also what keeps the site going. Considering how many links were recently lost in the 'Megaupload' fiasco, these 'member' links have proven a lifesaver in terms of not losing those mods forever. Since the beginning of the year, I have been busy re-uploading mods to MediaFire so that the community continues to have free access. If we're lucky, some modders submit new links, but in most cases, these mods are years old and the modder has moved on or is too busy to bother.

I think it's important to mention that our parent company is primarily focused on Simraceway and as such, rFactorcentral is a legacy project which is in no way core to their business model. The notion that rFC somehow 'profits' from your mods is false. There are real costs associated with hosting a server, a CDN, and people to run the site. I am happy that we have a core group of subscribers making the site still possible for everybody, because if it wasn't for them, I'm not sure the site would be running today.

Every day, hundreds of new people around the globe discover rFactor and in some cases, rFactorcentral. rFC still remains an important depository for cars and tracks and based on the traffic I'm seeing, the site is far from 'dead'. Not everyone will have the computing power to run rF2, so I believe it's important we try and maintain these older outlets for those now only discovering the passion we share.

I hope that over time, modders will submit their rFactor2 mods to rFc so we can continue providing a 'library' of the best mods available. I believe once rFactor2 is released, things may be different. As a community, we should work to share as much as possible while respecting the wishes of those creating the mods, and as admin, I have tried my best to do so.

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions on how we could make the site better, please don't hesitate to email us at support@rFactorcentral.com

Thanks for reading this.
    Best,
    Colin
    rFC Admin [RFC]-Fresh!

10. David Wright 67

David Wright 67 Registered

Clearly a controversial topic which is very complicated in terms of legalities but just a few points in terms of facts, mainly concerning the contention that developers are never contacted by modders/converters and would never be happy with modding/conversion.

GPL modding (65 mod, 66 mod, 69 mod, CanAm mod) has not involved distributing an exe file.
    GPL modders (65 mod team) contacted Papyrus before its demise and received some assistance.
    The Power and Glory team (GTLW) contacted or were contacted by both Blimey and Simbin a long time prior to release and received a great deal of assistance.
    Simbin subsequently laid down guidelines/rules on the conversion of Simbin titles to older and newer Simbin titles and non-Simbin titles.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2012
  11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

F1 classics HAS RIPPED GRAND PRIX LEGENDS and put **** on its community lamoroffoc

Dont give me your BS ! False Stories !@!

SOW is a SOW lol

GPL community is not above it either they released GPL demo2004 because of EGO.

Released to get more people to buy it the reason given ..........Hogwash
    At least have the guts to admit the truth Guys.

At you and your own time limit who made you God.

lol

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

GPL , GTR , whatever , whats the diff ??????

GTR#1 is dead ? so make me a standalone demo I can add anything too. ?

Heck why not GTL and GTR2 they almost finished ......... like poor Ol GPL

LMAOFOCROF

13. DemonDriverDan

DemonDriverDan Registered

Mod distribution in these days seems to be difficult. In the past I would always go to rFC for content but I'm hesitant these days.

rF2 content seems to be primarily distributed through this forum which is great but it can be very difficult to actually find the download link and keep up to date with what's actually been released etc.

Is there scope to develop a new mod distribution website? As a web developer I'm sure I could create something if the community thinks there is a need for it?

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Question why don't RaceRoom have 2 links with GTL

-snip-

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2012
  15. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

FWIW, rfc has never done me or iDT wrong. After Simraceway changed its strategy from buying/using mods to creating their own, I haven't seen anything illegal. I'm sure many bridges were burned with modders over that old strategy but rfc has always been free and not a part of the SR site. I will continue to list our mods on rfc and other sites as I have in the past.

16. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

I agree with IDTDoug. In fact, even today people misjudge what RFC is doing. People think rFC is charging you to download mods and that in a way is false. They offer you the ability to post and download mods for free, the admin of the mod can list links where people can download them from. To protect mods from going offline however rFCentral provide a fairly cheap pay service where you can always find the mods available on their high speed server. They're not charging you to download the mod, they're charging you to access their high speed server. The two should not be confused. People can still download any mod for free provided the owner of the mod has kept the links updated. If the owner of the mod hasn't, then its not rFC's fault the only link available is their high speed server one.

rFC is still a great place for posting and acquiring mods, we should not turn our backs on it.

17. ethone

ethone Registered

I think "we" should leave it to each individual themselves to decide whether to use the service, and more importantly, whether to post their mods there.

I have no issue with IDT or you guys posting your mods there, as I said before.
    But just because you have no issues with it, don't tell us that we should be doing the same.

Being told what was going to happen with our mods without having a say in it was how this whole thing started, remember?

18. Duvel

Duvel Registered

Ah, F1 classics. The place to go if you want a lot of mediocre mods that are downloaded by people who just say "thanks" to anything launched and don't ever say anything about physics because they don't seem to care, just want to collect new mods. Each mod i have downloaded there that was based on controversial models from games, had the most atrocious physics ever. I'm sure there are some good mods on there, and there are certainly some that don't rip from other projects (but you'll find those on all the reputable forums, too), but a site is only as good as it's community, and like i said, the driving experience and talking about the quality of physics seems less important than just pumping out half baked mods that are atrocious and collecting them like little kids.

And I'm not even talking about the legality issue of their support of rippers, which in my opinion is something i do not support, at all. Honestly, a bad site for quality from what i have seen, but it's not as if i would spend any time there, not interested in sharing a forum with those who think ripping is fine.

19. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

"Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone"...I wonder how many programs you have "ripped" even if you are so religiously preaching how anti ripping you are. But hey, I guess ripping programs is fine, just ripping tracks is a big no no.

1 person likes this.
  20. gpfan

gpfan Registered

Lol, good point, i bet is hard Drive is full of ripped software!!!

1 person likes this.