Reflection Planes

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by CodeF1, Jul 27, 2012.

1. CodeF1

CodeF1 Registered

I have read through the track technology document and there is quite a bit on reflection planes however I have a question though on the size of the REFLECTEDENV plane and how high above the track. Maybe a screenshot or 2?

Which objects typically to put into the include list?

OK after reading through it again it seems like you do not export any of them thus I can just copy and paste them from the Joesville.scn file and change the include objects?

2. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Firstly, understand this,,,,
    When you put a plane primitive in to the scene and rotate it around you will notice the bounding brackets stay with it (ie they rotate with the plane). On the other hand, if you convert it to editable poly and go into poly submode, select the face and rotate it, you will notice the bounding brackets stay square with the pivot point.
    With rotating the plane primitive, you rotate its coordinates, when you rotate a selected face, it just rotates that face but the object's co ordinates remain fixed to the pivot point.

Now that you understand that, the reason why we use plane primitives for reflect planes is because you might have a sloping surface. The reflection is taken from the ref plane's coordinates, which includes world location, pitch and roll.

The size of the ref plane does not matter, it can be 1mm x 1mm if you like, the only important part is it's coordinates. But, it helps to make it the size you need to fill the area (ie, you have an incline of 50m, make the ref plane 50m long and align it to the track), if you have many up and down sloping hills on the track, you will need extra ref planes to follow the track. This is where “refPlane_<some_name>” comes into it.

3. CodeF1

CodeF1 Registered

Thanks Mianiak.