vsync vs. input lag + settings

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by olivier prenten, Jul 11, 2012.

1. 1. Can anyone confirm me that enabling vsync still generates some wheel lags?
    2. If it's not the case anymore is it better to enable vsync and on which setting (software, GPU...)?

Thanks a lot to lighten my candle!

Cheers,

Oli

2. Natural1

Natural1 Registered

Hi Oli,
    As with the original rFactor, if you are running an nvidia card try setting "max pre-rendered frames" to 1 in the nvidia control panel. That should basically eliminate the lag. AMD has a similar setting but not sure what it is called.

On build 90 I've not noticed any difference between forcing vsync in the control panel vs. setting it via the rF2 config. Also, on my system I get much better results with the standard "video" sync.

3. Thanks for your answer! ;)

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

For ati amd its called Flip Queue, I think stock its set to either 3 or "undefined". I used to set it to either 0 or 1, but I noticed setting it to 2 or 3 (cant remember) made some games smoother, with no or less stutters, but the input lag was definetely decreased when setting it to 0 or 1 (cant remember I think it was 0). I think this works even when you dont use vsync, but I cant remember lol.

5. And what about input lag with vsync on?

6. BYF

BYF Registered

Vsync always adds extra input lag I'm afraid, even at 120fps/hz.

For best response and connection to controls/physics then turn Vsync off.

7. Thanks mate! I will definitely keep vsync off! ;)