Observation about rubber build up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kennykjc, Jul 8, 2012.

1. kennykjc

kennykjc Registered

It's a good thing that rFactor is attempting to do this dynamically, but from watching races on TV I see a big difference between rFactor and real life. In rFactor it seems the rubber build up happens only on the racing line whereas in real life it's the opposite.

For whatever reason the races I see in real life, the racing line looks really clean but just off the racing line, that's where you see all the rubber build up happening.

Here's an image to show what I mean.

[​IMG]

2. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

It depends entirely on the series and hence tyres used. For example the current F1 tyres (and related rubber blends like the ones in GP2) do indeed to a large extent wear down to a rubber "dust", which ends up on the sides of the racing line (and if that was sweeped off the racing line would probably be somewhat darker than the rest of the track, the dark dust tends to mask it a bit). In series using other types of tyres the racing line is the darker one. There is not simple rule to this, both can be totally correct.

3. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

4. un_fumeta

un_fumeta Registered

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Your confusing 2 totally different things, rubber build up is the rubber that gets layed down on track and rfactor 2 has this just like in real life.

The darker parts outside of the racing line you see in real life are mosty "marbles", basically chunks of tyre, you dont wanna be on this, GTR1 had marbles, it wasnt dynamic though, all pre-detemined but it was freaking awesome and the effect it had on your wheels ffb and grip loss was VERY similiar to real life, you had to avoid them like the plague just like in real life (gt legends had this too, but to a much less extent as the tyres are MUCH harder in those cars and less prone to chunking off).

You dont always see marbles, depends on the track, tyres, cars, conditions, etc etc etc. I think a few seasons ago when michelin pulled out and it was only bridegstone alone, the marbles reduced quite substantially, then when Pirelli took over the marbles started alot more due to the Pirellis being alot softer (the compound and construction and all the other complexities of a tyre can have an influence on marbles too, not just softer=more marbles, although that is generally how it works).

So if it wasnt for the marbles (or if someone had swept them away), you would actually be seeing in real life along the lines of what happens in rfactor 2

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2012
  6. tjc

tjc Registered

+1

Spot on post Spinelli. :)

7. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Is it me or does realroad look different at Mills than any other track?

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

No, it's not. That isn't 'rubber build up' that is rubber debris (marbles).

It depends on the rubber, and the aggregate of the race track. The massive majority of tires work how rF2 does it. The minority (including the current Pirelli F1 tire fill the cracks in the aggregate, giving increased grip when run over, not tending not to change the visual appearance of the racing line as much. DEBRIS is what you see offline, not built up rubber (and grip). We currently model just one way of rubber build up happening, and it's technically correct for all types of build up (the racing line always has more grip in the dry), it ISN'T visually correct for all types of build up.

9. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Is there anything planned to address grip changes on a wet surface, where a lot of the time the grippier part of the wet tarmac is off the racing 'groove'?

I find with my small amount of testing the 'groove' has far more grip in the wet to the point you can only drive on the groove to be competitive which is not what you'd always find in real life.

10. 88mphTim

Yes I think that is something to be looked at. But unfortunately I think that will rely on a lot of predetermined coding. As the pointier aggregate is always going to have more grip in the wet than the smooth racing line, we'll probably have to specify where the racing line is for that coding.

11. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

It's a difficult problem to tackle and I think there are only two ways to go about it. The first as you mentioned, a pre-determined wet 'line' or secondly perhaps just a random generation of wet tarmac 'grip' which does not necessarily have to be a continuous line (random grip 'patches' if you like). Not sure how possible the second idea would be to code however.

The first may be easier to implement but the second might give that same experience of trying to find where the grip is as you see so often in racing, by experimenting with different lines to find the parts that give you the best drive.

An interesting problem which is highly relevant to wet weather racing and am looking forward to how you guys tackle it.

Keep up the good work!

12. 88mphTim

Yeah, I think it HAS to be predetermined, because it needs to be there before anyone has driven on the track, and dynamically set where that racing line is. Make sense? Sort of how we now have a setting for the track to not be completely green.

13. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Yep, although I haven't played too much with the current build and the non-green track setting so my understanding of it is essentially zilch.

Will this type of application and settings being customisable within accessible files or will it be hard coded?

14. DeM

DeM Registered

A great thread a thankyou for the added information

15. 88mphTim

I think it could even just use the current light rubber racing line, and determine it from that, meaning you can save the rubber, and that would be the determined racing line in the wet too (pure speculation, but would make sense to me).

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The more grip offline is probably very hard to do. I see many different lines in the wet, some take the regular line, some take a little further off, some even more, some very extreme and as daring to the edge of the track as they can.

Then that tends to change as it dries over a long period, then the dry line starts catching up in grip and soon has more grip, theres so many variations in grip from different parts and areas of the track, then different track surfaces (physical and chemical) come into play, different rubber, etc.

If its pre-determinded, how will you "define" all that stuff?

Maybe im just over complicating it.

17. 88mphTim

The main racing line on any race track which has been used for a few years should ALWAYS have less grip in the wet. The racing surface starts to become smooth as the weight of the cars running on it pushes the surface down, and compacts it together. You can see this on normal roads, the tire tracks will be shinier than the middle, because the tires have pushed the weight of the vehicle down, compacted it, and less light is lost in the cracks before bouncing up at you. It doesn't matter what line they take in the wet, it just matters that when they take the right one (not the dry line), they have more grip. It's nothing to do with the dryING line, you're possibly confused on the point made.

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

True, good point. Do you know if the offline marbles add more grip, compared to offline but without marbles?

19. PMC

PMC Registered

Offline without marble's will give more grip in wet by rights
    it should be a foot or so off racing line either side,marbles will stick to your wheels causing vibes and unstable tyre surface.
    Marbles should appear atleast 2 feet from the race line or more

20. 88mphTim

Marbles should decrease the tire contacting the road just as much, or more than water does in some cases. It should reduce grip more suddenly than water, too.