ATI 12.6 and AA Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marc Collins, Jul 3, 2012.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Doesn't happen to everyone ;)

2. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

I wonder why when came these AA questions no one on ISI staff give some technical feedback.

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

why dont they give feedback on all the technical issues? because if they did they'd never spend time working on the game......thats why!
    During beta I dont mind so much, but if the AA issues continue Post Gold then I'd expect answers or ATi/AMD to come up with a reason! I guess time will tell

4. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Guys, I had same issue when updating from CC 12.3 to 12.4 to 12.6 : 12.3 was showed each time. I found a small tool called DriverSweeper_3.2.0.exe I launched right after uninstalling once again 12.6, selected AMD Video in proposed choice, and it cleaned my registry. Right after I re-installed 12.6 and now all is OK. The bad thing with this bug is CCC was constantly trying to make me update my drivers even if I already did it, that's why I googled this problem and found this easy solution.

BTW: with 12.6 and B90 I still unable to select AA in game settings. It get back to none each time when I get back to this menu and no visual effect in game. All other choices work fine on this menu. So for AA, I have to go through CCC to force this setting each time I wanna play rF2.

And as already noted somewhere: when I turn on HDR I have to put my sun glasses to lower flashy grass, neon red and shiny blue of the sky ;) I saw that ISI is aware so I'm confident ;) and HDR off fix that problem ;)

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I decided to give 12.6 another go tonight, uninstalled 12.4 with the default ATi program, restarted, installed 12.6 and it shows up in CCC as 12.6 with everything else in check. Used that DriverSweeper before but it seems to take too long and for me its not worth the hassle.

FPS min/max/avg with FRAPS is the same as 12.4 so no difference for me (averaged over 3 x 180sec AI controlled)

6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

The same AA issues have existed since the beginning of rFactor 1 in 2005. So some of us have less faith.

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

If your cards good enough just whack on super sampling, works a treat for me but obviously an FPS hit

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Already using it and there are still issues.

9. Doc_

Doc_ Registered

Just upgraded from a GT8800 oc today to a Sapphire 7850 oc.
    Game runs fine at maxed out settings. Still to try the beta driver.
    I was really worried about changing to AMD. I was real close to getting the 560 ti oc. Glad I didnt.

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Really? With actual super sampling? Are all other ingame and outside of game AA options off?

11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

??? Super Sampling is an option that is separate from AA and AF in the AMD settings. You can choose SS, Adaptive MS or MS alongside whatever AA and AF you can "afford."

12. MikeyRud

MikeyRud Registered

That is great to hear man!
    I just changed from a 3 year old GTX260 to the AMD HD 7770.
    But, the jury is still out on it...

With the CCC/drivers that came on the install disc, all default AMD settings and using the RF2 "Config Sim" to turn up the settings my FPS were very bad and choppy. :(

I turned up all my CCC settings (AF, AA to overwrite app.) and boom! The thing came to life being not bad at all and looking very good. :) With the game settings set all MAX(circuit detail-High) - HDR on.

I need to install the latest AMD vid drivers...so I dunno yet for sure.
    RF2 is Beta
    no biggie here

13. Duvel

Duvel Registered

First, for those who want CCC profiles for each game they have so it loads them on running the exe, get Radeon Pro (only for AMD cards though). Hands down the best for managing profiles.

Second, to get rid of AA missing some lines or objects, or shadow aliasing, you need to enable Super-Sampling. In the latest build, I have to say a lot of this has been fixed on my machine, it's only really the shadows that don't get AA now (but that's just for me, cat 12.4 here).

I believe FXAA is separate to normal AA, so if you have 4xAA and FXAA enabled, you get both, but I'm not 100% sure.

And for those who only get level 1,2,3 in the config window, again, i'm not sure as i have up to level 8 with a 6970 GPU and i can't work out where those 8 levels have come from as i only have 6 choices in CCC:

2x
    2xEQ
    4x
    4xEQ
    8x
    8xEQ

I do recall ANY EQAA version not working with rfactor though, so you'd normally use 1, 3, 5 and so on to avoid the EQ versions.

I wish ISI could outline exactly how this area works in a sticky. I'm assuming that level 7 and 8 do not exist on my card, but i haven't tested to see.

14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Right now, with 12.6, no matter what combination of settings I use I cannot get full AA (and appropriate lower frame rates). With everything maxed-out (in-game and/or CCC), I am still getting high frame rates and poor visuals.

It's probably just the combo of beta sofware with the usual flakey AMD drivers. Prior versions of both the driver and rF2 looked better in terms of AA.

15. MikeyRud

MikeyRud Registered

Know what you mean there...:(
    I now have the 12.6 from AMD. And I keep getting slight studder that is noticable even on the replays.

And if the car was on a spinner in the UI like rFactor is, I'd prolly notice it there too! oh well

16. FlyinFinn2

FlyinFinn2 Registered

Very good topic. I was touching various AA settings in CCC and in game to discover what is the best this for rF2. in Rf2 things works much better in AA modes.

In game modes looks very bad to me, maybe it is because there are no super sampling. Super sample AA HAVE to be enabled in order to get a minimal IQ, but at the same time, 4X msaa and super sampling enabled can give me 40 fps at the start of te race back on the grid in Brianza(my benchmark) and was having a bit of stutter, so, with 2x msaa and SS activated, gives me the smoothest gameplay and balanced IQ, with the sim maxed out, thid settings works really good. Maybe someone with a 7970 can push for a 4xmsaa and SS and still get the same FPS as me with 2xmsaa.
    But its true, SS can HURT the performance, but is worth. ( XFX 7950 black edition, 2500k @ 4.6 and 8gb G.Skill 2133. )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

it does this through the CCC anyway, well at least it does for me, I select the changes then save it to the RFactor2.exe and voila! I did download RadeonPro ages ago so will check it out anyway, see whether its worth it.

18. Duvel

Duvel Registered

Yes but AMD's implementation is really quite shoddy. Radeon Pro allows total control and is far superior. I coud not go without it now. It is how AMD should have made it, in my opinion.

@Flyin - Shadows at max is a performance killer, could try one setting down. It might get you to 4xSSAA and i can't really tell much difference between max and high on shadows. Worth a try.

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah just been playing with it funnily enough! more options and much better so agree with you.
    Currently Overclocking my 7850 and succeeding quite nicely, upto 1050/1300 and gained about 7-8 FPS extra without any increase in GPU temp or on screen buggery.

20. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Thanks (other) Marc. I was using the Presets, but now that I tried using CCC to "save" the settings to the .exe, it works properly and can successfully switch from one set of settings to another when I run other sims and games that need different settings. Both problems solved--the AA and the convenience!