rfactor trainer...again

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kknorpp001, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

sorry to keep going on about the rfactor trainer but another thing that is great are the tire sounds. it just seems like there is more variations or levels of scrub/skid. just feels like i have a better idea of what the tires are doing. awesome. other mods i don't feel this way. netkar pro abarth is like this too where the tire sounds just seem to be giving me more information but this could be perception.

any thoughts? anyone else agree?

another thing about some of the other mods is that, not only do i feel like there is less information from the tire sounds, they are also less convincing and therefore less immersive. does anyone else agree?

one last thing. can rtrainer be raced online? anyone doing this? let's go!

i honestly believe that the rtrainer represents a leap forward in realism. sorry i won't bring this up again..... until i discover the next great thing about the rtrainer. ;)

2. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

There are several rTrainer mods out there which can be raced online if you either find or make a server. Tims rTrainer Mod seems quite popular, and there's also the ISI rTrainer RACEDEPARTMENT style, but at least for me that one makes the game crash during the splash screen.

3. Cristian Why

Cristian Why Registered

RD MOD crashing here too

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

A leap forward in realism would be not hearing tyre sounds PERIOD, you obviously have never been in a real race car or even a moderetely loud high performance car if you think hearing ANY tyre sounds at all are realistic, more info to help becaue of lack of feel sure makes sense, but more real nope sorry not in any way shape or form

5. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Yep, race car engines are loud (and unmuffled) so tyre noises can be hard to hear (though they've been witnessed in some in-car camera footage, really depends on the car in question).

In road cars on the other hand the tyre noise often completely overpowers the engine noise, both inside and outside the car.

But since FFB isn't enough to tell us everything we need to know and we lack every other kind of physical feedback, we do need the tyre sounds.

1 person likes this.
  6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Totally depends on the car.

I drove a similar car to this in 2006, in the wet, could hear the difference between tread on racing line and off, and in the dry the day before easily heard the tires over the engine.

Possible being treaded tires made a difference, they are maybe louder. But the point stands, depends on the car.

7. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Are you absolutely sure you actually heard the noise, or felt it through vibration, which might also manifest as a noise sensation?

8. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

I think why you don't hear racing car tyres is the crucial fact that racing car drivers drive SMOOTHLY. A road car driver on the other hand will generally input too much steering/throttle whenever trying to go quickly. I must say however Ive driven an F2 car and I could hear tyre roar when going flat out down the straight. Like has already been said treaded tires make much more noise than slicks but obviously they all make noise. We never see a slicks and wings car driven aggressively over the limit so who is to say how much noise they would make?

9. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Pretty sure the racing drivers in Best MOTORing know how to drive the road cars properly, yet their tyres screech all the time in tight corners.

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Road car tyres screech way more, some are awfull. It has nothing to do with being smooth or not smooth, its about being around the limit. Ive never heard screeching while racing real race cars though, everything is wayyyyyyyy too loud when your in the car to hear screeching from cornering and sliding etc

11. Crankee Stroka

Crankee Stroka Registered

Interesting thread.
    Anyone care to tell me why technicians are trained to listen for tyre noise?
    (among all other things).
    Your accuracy in correct diagnosis is as good as your hearing.
    A very important part of any diagnostic road test relating to unsprung weight componentry.
    Eg:
    Amazingly - wheel trims/hubcaps can generate individual & different noises. True.
    Sticky caliper pistons? Listen to them, windows open, you CAN hear actuation delay. True.
    Tyre noises? Surface Irregularities? Hearing is one of the main diagnostic tools. True.
    Have I got awesome hearing? Yes but only cause I have trained myself that way over
    many.. many... many...
    zzzzzzzz...
    Huh!?
    oh yeah!
    years lol.