How many of you bought rF2 for mods and have now changed your mind (about mods)?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by buddhatree, Jun 26, 2012.

1. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

This question only applies to non-modders I suppose.

Just wondering how many of you bough rF2 in anticipation of future mods, but now having seen what ISI can do, changed your mind?

Personally, all I am looking forward to is more content from ISI. I'm not even thinking about mods. I just want more ISI content! :D

Another member in another thread called the idea of installing mods, "diluting a fine wine with water". That's not to insult any modders or mod teams. That's just how good ISI content is.

Anyone else feel similar?

2. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

Although ISI content IS really, really nice to drive with, I think that a lot of the already created content can be improved. The FISI for instance, is nice, but it's a fictional car in the first place, and secondly, a lot of things could be improved on the model. Skins, carmodels, helmets, textures, complete tracks, ALL content will be created by modders. Some are a bit less in quality and some better, than ISI.

Look at the Top Gear test track of Tuttle, or the Croft Circuit by feels3. Thát my friend, is real quality. So, any modders, come through!!

Edit: I'm not saying I don't like ISI's content, absolutely not. But I think the skills of some of the modders around here are up to the level of ISI and I'd like to see them create content too. The hard thing for them is though, trying to understand all those new features and improvements to the physics and graphics engines.

3. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I am not looking for perfection, but diversity. That is where rF excels.

4. Salajutsu

Salajutsu Registered

I enjoy ISI's content, but I look forward to street cars and 90's touring cars mostly. Just my taste really. As well as things like Historx.

5. tjc

tjc Registered

I bought rF2 to try rF2 as when I bought it I was`nt aware that it was ready for mods or modding but then starting at b85 maybe I was a little late to the party on that one...

I hear what your saying budd as I too think that ISI`s content is really, really good, not to say it can`t be improved and I hope it will be but it is very good imo. I just love the Eve`s, Sparks etc and the historic tracks too and now the BT20 and Historic Monza... :cool:

An amazing experience imo especially as it`s still beta content.

The Megane`s and Nissan`s are pretty damn good too and not to be forgotten as well as the others...

I also see what GTrFreak is saying too as I know there are some amazingly talented modders out there and I know that some will bring top drawer content to rF2 also...

So yeh there are mods I`m sure I`ll want/have but ISI`s content is pure, full on... awesome sauce!!!

Now where have I heard that phrase before?

lol ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2012
  6. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Without modding community, a platform like rF2, should collapse in a very small amount of time, so think about it. Think rF2 as a closed game, just with stock contents, now and in the future...and maybe you could understand how high is the risk. ISI stock contents are pretty good but the moddability still remains the CORE of this title as they can't pay a license for every car/track they like to put in the game...and the team is too small as well (talking about time and resources not quality).

BTW I feel a very bad karma (insulting, pressure, infinite critic for a free stuff etc..etc..) around the modding...and It's going to smell.

Of course you're free to feel whatever you want..but this kind of statements doesn't help at all.

Nice! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2012
  7. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

No. Modders only ask for donations if you think their work worths.
    I think official content never could replicate for free (or almost it, like moders could do) all details from old cars and their trademarks and drivers names in game.

1 person likes this.
  8. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I have no interest in anything community made right now. ISI content is more than enough for me. I'm looking forward to seeing some well known North American tracks added by modders like mid ohio but I reckon anything of good quality is at least a year away. I do like vlms mid ohio btw.

1 person likes this.
  9. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I think you are missing the question. That ^ is not the question I asked and it's not what this thread is about :)

10. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

You're right...the question was:

No. ;)

11. Kalanur

Kalanur Registered

I don't think ISI will ever release a real full series with all cars and tracks like F1 for example with all 20 tracks. So with that in mind and the already available quality mods I've seen for rF1, I won't think that ISI can beat the community. Their cars and tracks are good, but they will never feel complete. rFactor 2 will definately have a better basic install than rF1 with more variety but the really enjoyable stuff will come from talented modders again :)

12. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

The senna 88 mod needs some work, but that's a pretty good car....I forget whether it's unfinished though.
    I bought rf2 for MP.....so for me, a decent car that's busy online is what I really want.

I'll tip my hat to anyone who can outdo/equal the F2/3, the F3.5 and maybe the BT20.

13. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

If ISI could be bothered to make a stack of street cars, then I wouldn't have need for mods. As it stands though I'm mostly waiting for this, not ISI stuff.

14. coops

coops Banned

Not me: game ( beta ) is where thought it would be.

15. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Hey, I like sharing opinions, too (especially my own!)!

It was the ISI-made content that originally got me into rF1. The mods were a plus. That's probably how I'm going to feel through rF2 as well.

The reason I tend to like the ISI-made content is because it all feels unified and has that level of polish many other mods do not, at least for the tracks. As far as the cars go, I tend to feel that because I don't know where the mod teams are acquiring their data for the vehicles/tires, that I really can't rely on them to be anything close. I tend to trust ISI more as being able to gather as much relevant data as possible (even though, this may not necessarily be the case--I'm sure there're some mod teams that have full access to data...but I don't know that...).

I still run some mods, though--but that's typically because they come highly recommended, or like many people, I'll want to race a track before/after seeing it on TV (i.e. F1 tracks) [although, that's about the only time I run them]. But I probably had no more than 15-20 tracks (total) and only a few extra cars to add to the ISI ones.

So, yes, I do feel similar, Buddhatree--but my opinion has always been in favor of ISI content.

1 person likes this.
  16. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

17. liebestod

liebestod Registered

It would take me many months more to become at all bored with the current selection of cars. They are extremely high quality and loads of fun -- the '60s cars are some of my all-time favorites in any sim. The tracks are fantastic to drive, as well.

One thing you can count on, however, is that the modding community will produce some top-tier content after the game's official release. We'll have access to ISI's excellent stuff and a massive selection of user-made material. So, while I'm not actively seeking out the inevitable flood of mods, I'm excited for it.

18. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

"No, not me"

FTFY. Mod fanboy is unaware he is just one opinion hehe

Its ALL about quality. If your mod is crap, is crap. Noone will play it except your goofy friends. Everyone else is playing the quality stuff.

That said, about 5% of mods are worthy, if that. Only 10% of those have the legs to become community accepted. The work of these people is well worth it. The rest is just fanboy stuff.

19. Cancrizans

Cancrizans Registered

No I don't feel that way. Given the many incredible mods that equaled ISI's work in the original Rfactor, I can't wait to see what the modding community comes up with. I am hoping for the day we have all the great historic F1 mods for RF2, the classic Le Mans stuff, and many others. ISI's stuff so far is excellent, but there are never too many cars and tracks to drive!

20. Cancrizans

Cancrizans Registered

And you seem unaware that you are just one opinion as well. 10% is a ridiculously low estimate of the percentage of Rfactor mods that are excellent quality work. There are tons of them that are great in every category there is. Rfactor without mods is just not Rfactor at all.