A little write up on the latest builds...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jon Denton, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Jon Denton

Jon Denton Registered

2. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

nice, thanks :)

3. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

155 at Malaysia in F35 is quite slow isn't it, I thought people were down to 145/7 on the old builds and I was doing 149's....can't fully remember, but with new physics, it should be easy to break 150 now...

4. Jon Denton

Jon Denton Registered

The paragraph concerning doing a 1.55 or 1.56 at Malaysia is not specific to any car, it's just an example of differing conditions changing laptimes.

In that sense, and in the sense of the surrounding paragraphs, I get the feeling that by quoting laptime comparisons you're kind of missing the point a bit. But thanks for reading all the same.

5. Andy_R

Andy_R Registered

Nice article, l enjoyed it.

6. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

7. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Sneaky answer my friend, but I can't think of any other car that could do that time approx, LOL.
    Anyway, it was a good article, but remember, practice makes perfect, LOL.

8. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Actually, I just went and drove the F35 at Malay, and my first hotlap was a 156, LOL, but I did do a 153 flat, and feel there's more time to come, but my saved set up said 149, so perhaps it's changed again from b85-b90.....it was junk in b69 IMO.
    Keep on truckin!!

9. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

@F2Chump,
    I guess you still don't get the point of Jon. Laptimes are dependent on the amount of rubber on the track, temperature, humidity, wind, etc.
    Your 1:49 may be driven in the best possible conditions for that car/setup. With other conditions you may be driving 1:53's.
    You can only compare laptimes for exactly the same conditions.

10. Alesi

Alesi Registered

I know that couple of days ago a real driver WSR test rf2 game in Track Portugal, mod F3.5... as he said - ugly FFB (totally uninformative) and no grip on tires (even with out race line - in real there a lot of grip)...
    also he mentioned that he didnt like graphics (graphics influenced by feeling of speed and control of a car)

11. Alesi

Alesi Registered

also in WSR steering angle not 540 - its 400

12. Jos

Jos Registered

Same things that i thought, i wonder what he would think about piboso's sim...

13. Alesi

Alesi Registered

he used G27
    i hope so, and isi improve tire model, and increase mechanical grip

14. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

As if that would account for a 10 second deficit.......:rolleyes:

15. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Lol! I'm unable to read without some web-dictionary as well, it's a illiterate-proof Blog.

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Sometimes mehcanical grip seems much lower because in real life you feel like you are going much faster where in sims you might feel like you can take a corner at70 so you slow down to 70 and 70 feels like 40 because everything seems much slower in the game, so you feel like you are going slow enough and then dont understand why you got no grip, on top of that fov makes the corners seem way less sharp, but mostly the speed and speed sensing thing.

Also was the track really rubbered in were not talking tenths or even a half second, were talking MASSIVE differences in grip here.

Not saying rf2 is perfect by the way :)

17. Jon Denton

Jon Denton Registered

F2chump, the point is that all this ball swinging about how fast or slow people may or may not be is irrelevant. It doesn't really matter if your saved setup says you did a 1.49 if you can't do it again. And all that does matter is how fast anyone is at the time they are all on track together. By mentioning here how you set a 1.56, then eventually a 1.53 on your setup that you once did a 1.49 on only exemplifies the point.

If you build a setup that is particular to, say, a 29 degree air temperature with a northerly wind at 18kph, that you can run 1.49's on all the time, the setup has to inevitably be modified if you end up on in an online session where the air temperature is 15 degrees and there is an easterly 30kph wind. This is the point, the point isn't whether you think I, or anyone else, can or cannot run fast laptimes, that really doesn't matter. My blog post does not relate to any laptimes I ran, I just made up numbers, it's called "an example."

This was part of the point of the blog post. Anyone can post on a forum about a given laptime they ran and with any luck it does wonders for their self esteem. But what stops someone else from setting the AI off running 10,000 laps, to make the circuit into a living piece of rubber, setting a 100kph back wind for the longest straight and setting a time 2 seconds faster, then posting their laptime?

One lap does not make a race, and a series of laps in certain conditions bear no comparison to a different series of laps in different conditions. Quoting laptimes means nothing unless it is to people in the same session at the same time as you, and this is a step forward from other sims, partially because it allows the community to grow up and rise above the need for plumage flouncing braggart posts.

1 person likes this.
  18. MOD43

MOD43 Registered

Well said mate

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Jon

Great info, well balanced, keep it up

I like iracing but do think it's hyped a tad

20. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

+1