AI Improvements

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by roadhog29389, Jun 21, 2012.

1. roadhog29389

roadhog29389 Registered

i just re-installed rf2 and to test everything's running fine, i ran an ai race. In this case, it was F1/2/3 at Portugal GT for 5 laps. While it ran fine, the ai didn't show it's best side. For no reason whatsoever should a f1 car be constantly feathering the throttle behind a f2/3 car down those straights and refuse to pull out to pass.
    [​IMG]
    Can we get put in their code something along the lines of 'if 2kph+ faster than car in front or about to feather throttle, then pull out to pass as long as steering wheel is within X degrees of lock, if 3-4kph faster, then pull out as long as within X deg of lock' and so on. I would much, MUCH rather the ai pull out too early and look like a complete goose than not pull out and look non-existant

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

This is one area that does still need tweaking amongst others, it has however improved vastly since the first beta when it comes to AI out braking you into corners....just need them to start a bit earlier on the straights sometimes!

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

just did a quick test withthe Spark F2s at Brianza, with 25% aggression they feather the throttle and sit behind, only really going for a move in the braking zone. But when I whacked it upto 100% Aggression they started overtaking everywhere on the straights, seems they need to be tweaked some more and not be so cautious even with lower aggression settings.

This was in the build notes for Build90:
    improvements on AI cars detecting his and other's relative motion along the line perpendicular to his current driving line.

4. roadhog29389

roadhog29389 Registered

I was running it on 80% aggro, that last 20% must make quite a difference

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

had another play just now and at 100% they do sit behind on the back straight, it seems the main front straight they overtake more early on. That could be an AIW fault of the track not actually a problem with the AI.

6. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

100% AI aggressive and they will try to overtake on straights. But I agree, there's a lot of work left on the AI.

Yesterday I was watching youtubeclips of old GPL (heavy modified probably...but still...) when I guy drove old Nordschleife, and the AI was...FANTASTIC. Really trying to overtake and make use of every single mistake. Seriously, this is some nice stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw59Ut-cUk0&list=LLX84_oSBDTyAwwr44N14UPg&feature=mh_lolz

Makes me want to get GPL right now. Just to play that amazing track.

7. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

The biggest problem with AI in rfactor2 is all the inexplicable hard braking when going trough fast corners in group. I tried to race Spa when starting in the middle of the field... I never completed a single lap in 15 attempts. They suddenly brake in fast corners making me crash into their gearboxes and the race is over. Many times there were HUGE crashes in the front of the field and cars flying trough the air, always hitting me in the end :(

I noticed that AI's in front of you, is ALWAYS slower than the ones behind you. Driving really slow trough corners so the gap behind you instantly get sealed. The leading car is much slower when following him, and you have to be really careful when going trough fast corners cause suddenly he brakes. When you pass him however, he then drives perfectly and is like a freakin stamp on you :(

8. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

I've gotta say, I thought that video was terrific. Really enjoyed the guy's commentary, it really put me "in" that race. Thanks for posting that. ;)

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

They are too slow at turn 1 in Brianza, again this could be the AIW though, thats the trouble with the AI is the number of parameters that need to be taken into account. Another argument for open source AI coding that I posted about here:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/3009-Open-Source-AI-Code-for-Mod-Developers?highlight=
    at least that way we could better adjust the AI for ourselves and for certian mods as opposed to having one basic AI in the game.