F1 Sound Battle v12 vs v10 vs v8

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kristoff Rand, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

2. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I think anyone would agree that the Ferrari V12 produces one of the finest sounds ever to be heard.

3. Jos

Jos Registered

an rfactor 2 sounds thread would be good.

4. blakboks

blakboks Registered

From the recordings on that video, I actually like the V10 the best--thing sounds like a rocket ship.

I think it's kind of ironic that the quality of the recordings decreased the more recent the recording (presumably).

5. FONismo

FONismo Registered

V10 for me also. I see this a few weeks back, if you look on page 4 of the comments you will see my comment. 2:07 gives me shivers, the V10 sound is unreal. It sounds like the biggest baddest thing sent from another planet

6. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

V10!!! A rocket in your head!

7. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

I think all of them sound fantastic, but I would have a tough time choosing between the V12 and V10.

8. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

I say the more the merrier :p V12!

9. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

LOL well, that shocks me, I always felt the Ferrari V12 was THE engine noise.

10. Crankee Stroka

Crankee Stroka Registered

12 strings, 12 cylinders lol
    & thats final :)

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya in this video the Ferrari 12 doesn't sound as totally insane as in so many others I've seen, not sure why

Darn video keeps cutting away but I think you get the point

I think V10 and V12 fans will both LOVE this video, great onboard action from I think qualy at suzuka 95 from various cars :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2012
  12. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Regarding first post, thing to keep in mind is that the V12 was 3500cc, V10 was 3000cc while the V8 was 2400cc. So they're all different sized engines and different rev limits.

I have some amateur videos I took myself in Adelaide from 1985 to 1995 (not every year though) so it covers a wide range of turbos and N/A configurations (inline 4, V6-8-10-12 etc). Nothing will beat the Ferrari V12 of 1995 although the Lambo of 1991 sounded very sweet also. The Honda V12 was also a very distinct sound.

Unfortunately due to a bad experience with some previous copyright infringements of my material, I won't be sharing the videos, sorry guys.

13. Crankee Stroka

Crankee Stroka Registered

Enforce your copyright or watermark them is even better.
    Can't fool anyone if its in everyones face.
    Your personal stuff is gold dude.
    Geez Spinelli, you make it so hard to choose the best one mate. Awesome.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2012
  14. Legion78

Legion78 Registered

The Senna Brianza mod has wicked sounds, but specific to that car...

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I've read that a lot of people actually said the 94 Ferrari sounded better than the 95 due to it being 3.5 litres vs 3, although the 3 revved quite a bit higher than the 3.5 it didn't sound as glorious, but that's just comparing them to each other and on their own they both sound absolutely totally amizingly brutal and beautiful

The engines didn't have rev limits those days and didn't get them until I think 2008??... The engines are all 3.5 litres regardless of which way they decided to go on cylinder #, except for 1995 when they were all dropped to 3 litres due to regulation changes to cut power.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2012
  16. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

It's all personal choice but I preferred 1995 since the smaller capacity engine meant it revved higher. The smaller the block for the same configuration gives a very different sound due to the higher speeds of the internals.

By rev limit, I meant the highest revs it could achieve whether it was enforced by regulation (rev limited) or not (rev limit).

Rev limit by regulation came into F1 for the 'special V10 dispensation' (for teams who couldn't afford a V8 unit) for 2006/07, but as a general regulation across all engines it was in 2007 limited to 19,000 rpm and then dropping 1k for 2008 season.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2012
  17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Man all this engine talk makes me sad the engine rules being frozen is so messed up, and EVEN if it wasn't frozen the regulations have soooooo many rules now for bore stroke size of this part length of that part I was reading the official rules one day I think on the fia website and there were soooooooooo many parts that had to be built a certain way or within a tiny window of a certain way its so pathetic

18. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

100% agree. After aerodynamics, engines are my second 'love' in racing and I was really annoyed at the restrictions imposed over engine configuration and then later as you mentioned size of internals. It was one of the most intriguing parts of Formula 1, hearing the different sounds and seeing where they had advantage/disadvantages over each other.

Although I doubt it happening in the near future, maybe one day they will open up the regulations to allow different engine 'solutions' again.