Micro stutters, physics lag, and number of cores in use

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Natural1, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Natural1

Natural1 Registered

Hello everyone,

In a thread way back in August (http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...cs-for-rFactor-2?p=12572&viewfull=1#post12572) Tim mentioned that rF2 was designed to run on 2 cores only, at least initially. However, I have noticed with the recent builds that all four cores in my system are being used by rF2. Also, I don't remember seeing anything in the release notes for any of the builds that mentioned this.

I have also noticed that my system is suffering from micro-stutters more often lately than in the early builds. I found this post regarding similar issues that also explains the CPU graph...
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/2258-CPU-time-graph-what-does-it-show

On my system there is definitely a correlation between physics lag and the stutters I see. The one-pixel high purple bar is spiking every time I get a slight stutter.

Bottom line... For my system, setting rF2 processor affinity to 2 cores causes the physics lag to go away almost entirely, and the stuttering is effectively gone.

So, two questions for the ISI folks...
    1. Is rF2 supposed to run on all available cores now (4 in my case)?
    2. Would it be possible to have a setting within the game configuration to define the number of cores the process should use? This would be a lot easier than alt-tabbing back to taskmgr every time. I know there are also third-party utilities that can do this, but it would be very nice to have this setting as a native configuration option.

Thanks!

System specs:
    CPU: Intel i5-2500K (no overclocking)
    MB: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (F10 bios)
    RAM: 8GB Corsair DDR3 1600 - CML8GX3M2A1600C9 (set to XMS profile in bios)
    HD: Crucial 128MB SSD
    GPU: eVGA GTX 580 1.5GB DDR5 - model # 015-P3-1582-A1
    - All critical Windows updates applied
    - Windows Power Plan set to High Performance (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options)
    - No other performance tweaks/settings applied to OS

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2012
  2. Natural1

Natural1 Registered

Can someone at ISI please confirm the number of cores that rF2 is supposed to run on with build 90?

Thanks!

3. Pluginz1

Pluginz1 Registered

Ive just looked at the 'Set Affinity' in windows whilst running the game too.. It appears that all 4 cores are being used as well.

I could be wrong though, but that says to me they are, well at least enabled.

4. Natural1

Natural1 Registered

Do you also see a performance improvement by setting affinity to two cores?

5. Dave Lowe

Dave Lowe Registered

I have just changed my affinity back to two cores and my performance improves no more stutters or lag, prior to that i had to run GPU on the vsync settings tab.

Average FPS prior 25 -30 with 10 ai, changed my affinity 18 AI average fps 35 -40

Thanks for the tip

Yeah can confirm, i have just tryed with 4 cores again and i get stutters/ bad lags with no sync set, change affinity to 2 cores with sync set to none, smooth as butter no probs. You just made my night thanks

Just got to work out how to run the sim with two cores all the time without having to alt tab to change any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2012
  6. MJP

MJP Registered

That flies in the face of what someone else has posted regarding the Q6600, they claimed a 50% increase in fps with 4 cores compared to 2 at stock 2.4GHz. They did note that the difference was reduced the more they overclocked the CPU.

I have an i3-2120 which is a 2 core with HT so not a real quad core and even on that the load only seems to 'spread' itself across the 4 'cores' rather than making good use of them. I can disable the HT and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

7. Andreas Binz

Andreas Binz Registered

Hello. You can try this !

8. Dave Lowe

Dave Lowe Registered

Tryed this thanks, but did not work out to well on my system.

9. Dave Lowe

Dave Lowe Registered

That flies in the face of what someone else has posted regarding the Q6600, they claimed a 50% increase in fps with 4 cores compared to 2 at stock 2.4GHz. They did note that the difference was reduced the more they overclocked the CPU.

Well i have just tryed it again with 4 cores and i seem to get more FPS which is correct but my lag or slow motion is really bad, my fps show at least 50 but feels more like 2 - 5fps, change the cores to two different story back to 35 - 40 fps with quite high settings, no problems. oh well temporary fix for now which is great

thanks

10. Natural1

Natural1 Registered

11. Dave Lowe

Dave Lowe Registered

Hi Natural

Thanks, i did try this over past couple of evenings it did improve the lag/ slow downs, but for me your earlier suggestion changing to two cores has still given me the best results,

My FPS on PBI with the GT are avg 70
    FPS on Brianza with 60s are avg 35 -40

No lag or slow downs at all and thats with 16 AI or even more if i like, my physics spike (Purple bar) is approx half way with two cores, with 4 its nearly full!

Thanks

12. Natural1

Natural1 Registered

I'm using both of those together. The max framerate setting seems to free up video resources which allows for higher graphics settings than you would be able to run otherwise. The theory being that if you are only going to display 60FPS there is no need to let the system run wild. Try increasing your in-game graphics settings while setting max framerate to something just over 60. My guess is that you will be able to increase those values with little or no impact to framerate or stability. It's just a nice bonus :)

From what I have seen, stuttering is primarily a function of the physics lag, which (I think) is much more related to the CPU as opposed to the video card.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you are getting better performance!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012