track making school

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by les, Jun 18, 2012.

1. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

ah, one more thing: whenever someone gives you a good tutorial or help, donate him something if it's possible! just think of it like spending a friend of yours a beer after he helped you out with something. i think things like that motivate a LOT but are sadly very uncommon on the internet.

2. Crankee Stroka

Crankee Stroka Registered

Metinx Scott could not possibly have the time atmo.
    I'm just finishing my teaching studies and wow,
    lesson planning/encompassing every aspect of a topic to cater for all takes flamin ages.
    If he can help? He's way more of a legend than I thought he was :)

3. freew67

freew67 Registered

I see what you did there. ;)

4. freew67

freew67 Registered

100% back this.... lol

5. Max Attack

Max Attack Registered

I made a few tracks for rf with Bobs track builder because it was no more complicated than it needed to be. It was easy to make a quality track. A lot of people did the same and had fantastic results. Some of my all time favorite tracks on rf where made with btb. I would love to see a BTB2 or even better have Piddy make one that would come with rf2 final build. BTB was a quality program.
    #1 on my wish list for rf2 is a track creator.
    Dear ISI, Please consider how good this would be for rf2.

6. les

les Registered

i agree videos are good yes but sometimes freew makes really good videos but there are times where videos are not enough,
    for example the uv mapping and setting the materials right in the correct channels and in the rfactor2 format this part well for me is confusing. another example i was working on a conversion track and i want to change the fence walls (add some) well i added the fences in 3ds max but when it came to setup to export out of max because of the material channels and mapping it requires i could not figure it out, so i got discouraged for a bit and quit working on tracks, being i am new too using 3ds max for rf2, its discouraging free tried to explain it too me but i didnt grasp what he was saying to me, not his fault(he is a great teacher). I have not see a video that clearly shows how to uv map the geometry, some things are basic for people to grasp others need more help(like me). a good video explaining from the start of a track everything explained would be a big help to the newbie.

7. freew67

freew67 Registered

8. les

les Registered

thanks for that i dont remember now what the problem was but it had some like material or something like that need to be in top or sublayer when i went to export it into rf2 ill have to see if it does it again and ill get back and tell you the results

9. Banger

Banger Registered

can you also preview your current work in moddev also, i have a standard mesh file i like to see if it correct, but i can't seem to get it going.it comes up in moddev thoose files sections are done.gdb,aiw from rf1,scene file contains mesh only.

[​IMG]

used freew67 spline/lofting video tutorial.
    also can some please make a tutorial on gmt plugin exporting gmt's/maps (textures)
    & a joining separate road sections

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2012
  10. Cristian Why

Cristian Why Registered

11. Banger

Banger Registered

thanks cristian, i sort out the gmt xporting problem now.i had the include's check box ticked in the gmt export options,that was writing .H files instead of gmt's :) back on track , until next time that is :D

12. Banger

Banger Registered

i had a look and attempted that tutorial, but there seems to a lot of diffrence in looking for buttons. that is now been obsolete.especially the gmt texture mapper eg:shader option. found some not all. same with the rf1 tutorial from isi. dx9 shader missing t1 bump map and specular dx 9 shader /or removed from max. my version of max is 2010 - 32 bits & 3ds max 64 bit version is 2012, where there is some thing out of history books. 3ds max 4-5 :D

Also , i think the main problem here is the size of the track.gmt.i sure it needs to be splitted up to small chunks if i read correctly.before i can view it devmode.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2012
  13. Cristian Why

Cristian Why Registered

its older but still is helpfull for first time moders
    splitting is recomanded for performance reasons
    now i have a track with 50.000 poligons and vericles in one piece one single object loaded in dev mode without problems

14. Banger

Banger Registered

got a little bit further now, on the texture section of isi tutorial, worked out i need to extrude from the extrude button not the mouse.lol or your just end up with a box 3 times the size you want.

how do you split the track up, all i got is a massive spline?.....:D god this is a lot hard than it was with BTB program... come back piddy

15. Cristian Why

Cristian Why Registered

how do you split up the main track mesh? select some polygons and detach , do that for the rest of the 6000 metres :p
    View attachment 2919 is this what you were looking for?

16. mianiak

mianiak Registered

That's right. If I may add that, if you run an editable poly modifier over it, its a lot faster, you just set the first one to detach to object (there is a smaller button next to the detach button in edit poly modifier, click that on the first detach and make sure nothing is checked and that you see object## in the input box, don't worry about naming it yet), then for the remaining, you just hit the main detach button and you won't have to click the confirmation each time, or you can make a keyboard shortcut for it.
    Then after you have done that, you select all the bits you detached and use rename objects in the tools menu.

But, it's good practice to leave detaching pieces until the last moment and before you collapse your loft, duplicate it and hide the original or put it into a different layer and turn it off.

17. Banger

Banger Registered

thanks guys......:p

18. Skynet

Skynet Registered

Im currently making my first track and have hit a few brick walls with getting the track in to rf2. With the proposed school or tutorials talked about in this thread life could be so much less painless for us beginners. I dont mind putting in time and effort on a track infact i enjoy the work but it really sucks when progress comes to a complete halt because i cant figure out how to do one silly little thing that could take an experienced guy 10 seconds but for me wastes at least 3-5 hours.

looking forward to some tuts, just hope they are step by step complete guides for the making a basic track.... oh just a small tip for anybody making a video, when you are clicking on things in the tabs and menus please dont do it at lightning speed.

19. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

The BTB has very good features, but misses some.
    I've had the idea of ​​implementing the good features of BTB in max.
    The development would not be easy. Implement roads, camber, Walls, StringObjects and terrain would take some time.
    Will would be worth the time and money to do this?

20. tjc

tjc Registered

I think this is a very good idea and I`d like to try my hand at track making. I`ve actually been thinking for quite a while now about asking for a similar thing for doing the 3D modelling required to make cars and get them in game... kind of like the really experienced guys (and gals maybe) taking on an "apprentice" and showing them how to go about things. I think that would be awesome and a fantastic way of learning imo.

I appreciate it`s something that would take a lot of time and effort to undertake, both from the "teachers" (for want of a better word) point of view and the "apprentice`s but it would be really good.

My only concern would be the software needed to do all this as if I`m not mistaken, it`s quite expensive to buy the software that`s required but still it would be an excellent way of learning.

I don`t really know how the gaming industry works but it would also be fantastic if a company like ISI were to take on people (apprentice`s/trainee`s) to train to do this work... if they did, I`d be applying like a shot.

:)