Botniaring BETA

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Jka, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Botniaring BETA (RELEASED)

Okay Guys and Gals, here we go... ;)

Main purpose is to test new packaging and updating system. Secondary goal is improve the track graphically, fix gameplay-, AIW- and camera problems.

This means that I will release series of updates in few days timespan, which will add features and fix problems. As rF2 is in BETA stage itself and it's gfx engine is under heavy developing, final version won't be released until rF2 reach Gold.

Download link contains base COMPONENT file. Copy file to your Packages - folder and install it with Mod Manager. Remember uncheck Options/Show Mods only to make Mod Manager show components as well and install it normally. Use All Cars & Tracks option to select the track.

Track contains three layouts: National, Club and Oval.

In real life, club circuit is most used. Oval is used very, very rarely, or not at all. National circuit is under construction as we speak and will be opened in spring 2013. All layouts were modelled to scenery using actual blue prints/ACAD files and GPS data provided by track- and engineering companies. (Hi Jukka, Joni, Janika, Matti, Mika, Raimo and Juha! :cool:)

Known problems of the track are:

- All three layouts contains only very basic AIW files, which won't work perfectly. You can add only FIVE AI DRIVERS to your race, no more. If you add more, rF2 will crash. To be safe side at this point, jump right to the grid and leave practice and qualifying session alone if you want to race agains AI. However, practice session work normally for private testing (with limitation of 5 AI drivers).

- There is NO camera files on this track at all. This means you cannot get external, TV - style view on replays.

- The track has NOT been optimized yet at all. There is no LoD's, VisGroups, ShadowGroups and other features used, which will help optimize performance. If you have performance problems, turn down shadows, HDR etc. to gain more fps.

- Scenery details are about 60 % complete, so many tso's and other details will be added via upcoming updates.

- There are many gfx abnormalies, like poorly mapped- and placeholder-textures, lightning problems, missing details, etc.

- ...and 1000+ more unfinished things...

You can see preview of the track here.

Download link can be found here.

Happy driving!

Cheers!

New version of Botniaring is available.

Botniaring BETA V 0.53

This is FULL COMPONENT, not update. It's strongly advised to uninstall previous version 0.5 before installing this.

I wish I could release this as an update, but after banging my head to the wall few days when trying to make update component work, I decided to release this version as independent, full component.

I'm still troubleshooting component update problems and I'm not sure, if its rF2 BETA problem or lack of my knowledge. When those problems are solved, I will release update components instead of full component (like this one...).

Changelog:

- added little bit more tso's to garage area and s/f straight
    - added fully functional SteerWheelMaps for each layout
    - added Pit Exit Official to help exit pits correctly without getting black flagged
    - added Starter Worker to S/F box, so there is somebody to wave checkered flag when race is over...
    - added few new animations to few characters
    - moved flaggerstations and Corner Workers correct points around the track to match real life track design
    - fixed a bug with start lights illumination
    - minor improvements to few textures

Next couple of days I will concentrate on AIW improvements and update packaging/installing problem, instead of gfx updates.

You can download FULL Component here.

Botniaring BETA V0.53

________________________________________________________________________________

New version of Botniaring is avalable.

Botniaring BETA V0.6

This is FULL COMPONENT instead of update.

I still managed to make mistake on previous version packaging, so you have to UNINSTALL exist version of Botniaring and REMOVE "Botniaring_FR_BETA_V0.53.rfcmp" file from your "Packages" directory. I try to do better next time, so I can release true update instead of full component.

Changelog:

- added fully functional AIW files on all layouts. Track supports now 26 cars (25 AI's and you) and 13 2-car teams. AI cars can now find their way out from paddocks to the track safely. AIW's are far from perfect, but they are fully functional.
    - pitlane was rebuilded to fit full grid requirements
    - fixed trees lightning problem. They are not perfect yet but much better than before, especially on low sun angles
    - minor improvements on few textures.

I just came back home from Botniaring FinRace weekend. I had a possibility drive around the track with civil car and photographed carefully all missing points of the scenery. I start build new textures and tso's (not all of them, but many...) for next update immediately. Same time I also checked all chambers and elevations of the track. I was pleased to find out, that they are spot on. GPS data (which I used to model the track) was very accurate!

You can download new component here:

Botniaring BETA V0.6

Remember to uninstall previous version on remove old component file from your "Packages" directory before copying this one in.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2012
    3 people like this.
  2. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

looks like a fun track and good work on your side. i'm looking forward to it! thanks for sharing your work!

3. coocster

coocster Registered

Looks good, good job!

4. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Looks quite atmospheric, like it apart from the trees which stand out a tad. Will these be changed?

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I may be clueless, but how do you get that HUD display that is shown in the video?

6. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

After starting rF2, when you get to the screen with Series,Vehicle, Track etc. Look along the bottom, at far right you will see "customize". click on that and pick your stuff.

7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Thanks for the help--and for confirming I am clueless!

8. Alan Frost

Alan Frost Registered

Looking forward to trying this - looks like a fun track and really well made. Thanks JKA.

9. marto

marto Registered

good track cant wait

10. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I would rather see you spend a couple more weeks working on it before release. I really dislike the practice of releasing a car/track and then releasing v1.1 through v1.6 over the following weeks.

I think mod creators should do their best to get it perfect before the v1.0 build.

11. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

This is impossible as long as the game is in beta phase.

12. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I'm confused. The thread title says Botniaring Beta but there's no beta? Are you releasing a beta or not? If not, please rename thread Botniaring (WIP)

13. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Wouldn't it be better to stress test the beta as much as possible? I would like to see more modders creating updates, it's an area that hasn't had much stress testing at all. :)

14. ethone

ethone Registered

I think you have it entirely backwards. A mod that enters a loop of internal-update -> feedback -> further-updates -> further feedback and so on quickly enters development hell and you might never get to see it at all unless something unforeseen happens. Remember LM91-96?

Some stuff can not be tested sufficiently in a closed environment. Performance being chief among them.

A mod that is functional can be released any everyone actually benefits from it. People (well, perhaps except for you and two or three other guys ;)) get to enjoy it much sooner in a functional state, the modder(s) gets valuable feedback.

Perfection is an inane goal in any case as anyone who has ever produced a mod can tell you.

I'm not sure if your comment was just meant as a call for more quality in mod making but if it was you went about it the wrong way.

15. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

You're right. I replaced thread title.

Main goal is test for component packing, distributing and update process of original component.

Track developing will continue during this testing, until we reach final version 1.0. As rF2 engine is still in BETA stage, final version won't be out until rF2 reach Gold.

If everything goes as planned, you guys have something to drive within two days.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2012
  16. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

OK, now I'm no longer confused, thanks for the clarification. I thought I was missing a link somewhere. I'm looking forward to the new track- IMHO, take your time and release something driveable, but not perfect.

17. Eero Forsblom

Eero Forsblom Registered

Thank you, looks very promising. And this is a nice way to see the new layout before going there IRL on july ;)

I don't see anything wrong in publishing a beta. Every track _needs_ testing. A closed beta always leaves something in the dark.

KIITOS!

18. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I can see both sides of opinions concerning release/don't release.
    Some love to play with stuff, others don't like to play with stuff.

It's very simple.... if its offered, download it. Or--- imagine this gift of freedom ----don't download it.

1 person likes this.
  19. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

20. chappielike2009

chappielike2009 Registered

Congratulations on getting the track to the next phase of development. I can see you becoming something of a legend around here.