100% CPU Usage

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Max Melamed, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Max Melamed

Max Melamed Registered

Hello ISI-Team

I just downloaded the new Build90 and updated all cars you released so that EVERYTHING is up to date.
    Before Build 85 I never had any performance issues!I was able to run rF2 FULLY maxed out with good pretty good frames and no fps drop or what so ever!

Now with the Build 90 I had to realise that my game suddenly uses 95-100% of my CPU! It is pretty much unplayable because the cpu is at it's limit...any ideas?!

here is my system:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
    Gigabyte P35DS3L P35 Motherboard Socket 775
    Intel Core2Quad Q9950 @3,1Ghz
    2x2Gb Ram Kingston Hyper X DDR2-800 + 1x2GB Samsung DDR2-800
    Geforce 570GTX
    BenQ 24" Full HD Monitor
    Logitech G27
    Logitech G15 Rev 2.0

I hope you can find a solution :)

Cheers Max
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    EDIT: I think I found the problem but it is REALLY weird! As soon as i turn the shadows OFF i can play like normally but as soon as i turn the shadows on again (low medium high maximum) the CPU usage goes up to 90-100 which is unplayable! As you wrote in the changelog there has been some "shadow tuning"...maybe this is the problem???

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Sounds like something else must be the issue there... Are you knowledgable enough to run a test and see what is using CPU? It could be some other drivers, or some other program running... rF2 should be nowhere near that high.

3. Max Melamed

Max Melamed Registered

Hi Tim

What do you mean with running a test? I tried different tracks with and without AI Cars different weather etc. everytime the same result as soon as I turn on the shadows the CPU Usage explodes...when the shadows are set to low the load is at 85-90 but as soon as i turn them up 95-100% usage. I never had such an issue in any game. I can run nearly every game maxed out without that kind of load. Even BF3,Flight Simulator X runs fine maxed out with less cpu usage...any idea?!

4. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

With v90 I got quite same fps as in 85 but video output is significantly less smooth

5. Cristian Why

Cristian Why Registered

a test from Malaysia with Megane and my resolution was 1360-768 in window mode View attachment 2836

6. Max Melamed

Max Melamed Registered

yes the frames are the same as in version 85 maybe even a bit better but the cpu usage isn't normal...
    @MaXyM: I think the output being not smooth has to do with the cpu aswell as it is the same for me...the output sometimes gets some lag and controller input isn't good.

So it seems i am not the only one with this problem?!
    Isi pls help us!

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

FPS has DROPPED this build without doubt.

lower fps
    No mirrors still
    Now no reflections on gauges.
    input feels wierd

= Worse not Better

8. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Mine is still running smooth (never have checked fps), and yes 60's still no mirrors (but I think Tim had mentioned that it would be fixed, only I also remember he didn't state specifically that it would be in this build.)

Didn't notice the reflections on gauges (usually too busy watching for the apex)
    The input part, seems like more grip has been added. (grip was the biggest thing I noticed)

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

My mistake I had AA Level set higher so fps is probably okay.

No worry I can wait for mirror fix, no choice. :)

Yes the reflections on gauges was a nice touch in Build69, now looks like Build49 again ie: No glass look

I think maybe the input feeling was from having AA Level6 rather then AA Level4 I had been using with Video Sync. At Level6 it spiked to 55-57fps so maybe introduced input lag as well.

AA Level 4 I get solid 60fps online and never had input lag any build so I guess that is it.

Anyway going to rubber Spa room for a hour and give it another shot.

10. JonathanBenn

JonathanBenn Registered

I've taken an insane FPS hit - I'm down to 1 or 2 FPS now whereas I was getting over 40 FPS with those settings, so obviously it's unplayable. Back off some of the settings and it does become playable, though it doesn't look too nice. Not sure which setting in particular is the culprit.

I've done a full reinstall but still trying to get to the bottom of it

11. BigDuke6

BigDuke6 Registered

I too was suffering CPU slow down intermittently after installing the new build, (whole thing not the upgrade from 85), frame rate was staying over 70 but it would go into a slow motion, very smooth no stutter just slowed down. Seemed to happen more for me using Brianza and the Brabham, I ran the Nissans around Palm Beach and could not replicate the problem.
    Then back to Brianza with the Brabham, back came the intermittent slow down, using the "Control C" graph you could see the purple line shoot across to the right and the slow down would happen, Ive now been running the game using Software Sync & the problem hasn't happened in the last 30 minutes or so, I will test some more, but if your having troubles with the CPU maxxing out, try using the software sync mode and see how it goes.

12. zack

zack Registered

at me the same,...sad after 6 month.

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Darn, hope the next build isn't to far way, just corrections / optimisations to current content would be welcome

( save more content untill later builds further down the line )

14. Max Melamed

Max Melamed Registered

some idead already from the ISI team?! I want to play rf2 with shadows and not without just becuase suddenly the cpu usage goes up to 100

15. 88mphTim

I understand comparisons, but that is different software. There's no relevance.

Probably is shaders going on the other posts, might have to turn them off until next build

16. 88mphTim

Those things have NOTHING to do with each other.

Car modelers dont code shaders.... lol

17. sselmraH

sselmraH Registered

Just to confirm - I have exactly the same issue here. I7-860 and 460 GTX

18. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

19. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

checked the framerates again, this time with the RF2 CPU counter on.

View attachment 3271

This is a shot taken right after I left the pits the first time in a race weekend. The problem only seems to occur after the first lap driven or after the first time having visited the pits, and gets continuously worse afterwards.

View attachment 3272

This is then taken during another attempt to simulate the issue, a couple of laps in the race/weekend. As you can see on the CPU counter, there is a lot more purple showing, does this refer to more CPU or GPU usage? Here I still get 39 frames, but as mentioned above, it gets worse over time, and I might only get around 30 frames later on.

20. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

The purple bar shows the workload of the thread related to physics and other tasks.
    An almost full purple bar is not a good sign, meaning you are risking to fall from real time computing.

What CPU have you?

What steering wheel?

Just for a try,

1) in the controller.ini line

Skip updates="0" // Apparently some drivers can't handle a quick FFB update rate, so use this hack to skip the given number of updates (0=full update rate, 1=half, 2=one-third, 3=one-quarter, etc.)

set the value to "1", so to check if the wheel is the guilty.

2) try removing the addon plugin.