object names and shadow problems

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by gunnar333, Jun 15, 2012.

1. gunnar333

gunnar333 Registered

Hi!
    I just did a Textbox.gmt model to test the shadow.
    I added the following lines to scn:
    Code:
    Instance=TestBox01
    {
      Moveable=True VisGroups=(32) 
      MeshFile=TestBox01.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=False ShadowCaster=(Static, Solid) Reflect=True ShadowGroups=(12) 
    }
    All looks ok. (GRAB_011.JPG) But when I change "Instance=TestBox01" to i.e.: "Instance=sign_TestBox01" the shadow disappears.
    Is this normal? Why?

BTW: Is there a list of names for Instances with special behaviours? e.g: SIGN, CONE ?

2. blakboks

blakboks Registered

I'm not at my home computer, so I can't test this for myself--but have you tried "rebuilding" materials (don't remember if DevMode rebuilds materials every time you load up). I think this is usually done by turning off wind & crowds, then turning back on (or vice-versa). My gut tells me this won't help...but who knows--it might.

3. gunnar333

gunnar333 Registered

Seems that your guy is correct. I can notice that the materials will be rebuild when I turn off wind & crowds (because of the longer track loading time. But my shadow problem remains.
    Well it's not a real problem it is just that I want to understand why this happens to understand this script logic.

4. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Even if rF2 gfx engine is "self shadow-casting", sometimes I had to force shadows to certain objects from GMT exporter.

On "Instance" rollout, check "Caster" and give some shadow out distance (like 100 meters) and export object again to see if that helps.

Cheers!

5. gunnar333

gunnar333 Registered

Thanks a lot. That solved the problem. I always thought that checking "caster" was for exporting the options for the scn script only.
    But somehow this information must also be built in the gmt object.
    Good to know.