New Mac Book Pro Retina suitable?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by wheelie, Jun 12, 2012.

1. wheelie

wheelie Registered

Hi!

I've been long waiting for the new MBP, specifically because of its high resolution display and quad core Ivy Bridge Core i7 CPU. Specs for the base model are:

2,3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    Turbo Boost up to 3,3 GHz
    8 GB 1600 MHz RAM
    256 GB SSD (Samsung 830)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1 GB GDDR5
    2800x1800 IPS
    USB2/3 + Thunderbolt connectivity

Do you think rFactor 2 will run reasonably smooth on these specs (Windows 7 over Boot Camp of course) @ 720p (or @*960x540)? Or would the 2,6 or even 2,7 GHz models be necessary? Note that rFactor 2 would be the sole reason for me to even purchase a Windows license and contamine the Mac with it.

One more question: I bought an Epson TW-3500 recently, so if someone could point me to a guide for backlit projection onto a curved screen, that would be nice!

Thanks in advance and best regards,
    Martin

2. lbodnar

lbodnar Registered

Hi Martin,

Have you got MacBook Pro with Retina display in the end?
    If so what is the performance with rF?

I am considering the same move.

Thanks
    Leo

3. Alvin8100

Alvin8100 Registered

I'd never heard of them before.
    I sure will must be got it in future as soon as possible.Looking sounds good!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2012
  4. mikem

mikem Registered

I hope you can actually run it higher than 960x540 even with some gfx options turned down/off. 960 would be too much like going back 1/2 decade. Well, I'm thinking of rMBP as well- definitely can't afford the next model up but since it's going to be for work, being able to run rF2 decently would be like an icing... more like a supercharger on 6 litre engine. At least 1280 while keeping the framerate close to 60.