Tyre Contact

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OzzyNeil, Jun 2, 2012.

1. OzzyNeil

OzzyNeil Registered

Hi, Just wondering if tyre contact will be implemented at some stage?

I've been testing in the historic F1's and had them interlocked while driving but they just seem to rub together and not launch in the air
    like they would in real life.

otherwise enjoying the hell out of it

Cheers, Neil

2. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Formula Masters has it...

3. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

I was wondering if the Damping and Friction option in the plr files has anything to do with this??

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Well with the 60's historics, the suspension would break/bend before it would send you skyward IMHO. Tires not as sticky either.

5. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Online this would be almoat impossible to do uunless your ping with the other driver was VERY low. On a LAN maybe it could be done but over the internet I cant see this being possible. There has to be some cushion around the cars for lag.

6. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

I wonder if any footage exists of 60's cars locking wheels just to check? you would imagine the sheer energy going through the wheels would create a little hop at least, along with the broken suspension arm of course, lol.

7. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

From my memory banks I don't recall seeing any 60s car colliding as described. Not because of weak suspensions or anything like that, but because if they did it would most likely result in death.

They drove with utmost respect because any daft move could kill someone else let alone themselves. The amount of contact between cars during those years was a very tiny percentage of what we see today in 1 race, let alone 1 season and more likely due to circumstance rather than stupid driving.

Anyway, even if there is a momentum difference it will launch a car, and they don't even have to be open wheelers...as Levegh and Macklin sadly demonstrated at Le Mans in 1955.

8. navorsky

navorsky Registered

When i started to read your post, i was about to bring levegh´s crash to the subject matter.

Some people may be advised this is a intense crash footage. Be advised.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F92yRwKr4bY&feature=related

9. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

But these were not open wheelers and one car was going A LOT slower than the Mercedes that hit it and went skyward?

Isn't the point two historic F1 cars side by side locking wheels? IMHO the suspension would give before sending a car up like a rocket because of the traction between the tires.

10. 88mphTim

The only way I can see would be if one car body (not tire) touched another cars tire I think. That would go airborne IMHO.

11. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I got locked wheel to wheel last night, with an AI, and I didn't know what was going on for a bit. We both just ended up sliding off the road.
    The interesting part is I could feel the wheels rubbing thru the steering column.
    ( l know, must have been a placebo effect once I could figure out what was going on, pretty good piece of immersion tho )

12. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Definitely.

It's difficult to know whether tyre-on-tyre would cause a car to flip. Instinctively I would think yes it would still happen since the cars are feather-light and the suspension despite seemingly small in diameter can still withstand some very high loads.

Also consider races were a lot longer (Spa and Monza were nearly 400km!) and bits were used for a much more mileage but most importantly the roads were very rough so they had to be built a lot stronger. For instance, the suspension designed and built to withstand the forces you'd encounter on the banking at Monza would need to be very strong. And the design tools they had available (pencil and paper!) these bits would not be optimised.

But it all depends on what angle the force is applied because obviously they are a lot stronger in one direction than another. Without knowing the specifics of design construction and materials it's impossible to tell.

13. 88mphTim

True. The cars sometimes didn't change any parts from race to race as I understand it. That does have to be fairly strong, but I think some (especially Chapman) did begin to use weaker materials for weight.

14. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Yeh he was notorious for it, because at times it would compromise the integrity of the structure. Especially around the time of the 60s and early 70s, Colin didn't have such a good name and some of the top line drivers refused to drive the dominating Lotus due to safety reasons.

He pushed the limit and overstepped it at times but is still one of the greatest designers in our sport. I know Rindt did not want to drive the 72 as he felt it was unsafe (his wife says so in his biography). Chapman only brought the 72 (Jochen preferred the ageing 49) so Jochen was effectively forced to drive it which ended up killing him at Monza.